Flipping axles on toyhauler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Flipping axles on toyhauler

I have a 26' tandem axle toyhauler and I am tired of replacing the stabalizer jacks that are on each corner. Just welded on a new one yesterday. I hit them on some of the uneven roads when we go out to the desert to go bike riding. My F350 has plenty of ground clearance, but I just dread going to some sweet camping spots because of the possible damage and expense.

I have what I believe are called underslung axles and they sit on top of the leaf springs. On the part of the axle that sits on top of the leaf springs, a "C" channel piece of steel is welded on facing front to back with a cutout matching the contour of the axle.

If it was a straight axle I can see that it is pretty straightforward, just put axle under leaf springs, bolt it all together again, make sure brakes still work, and adios! But with these underslung axles I just don't know.

How hard is it to do this? Is it even safe for a DIYer to do?

Thanks for any help
SV
2004 KTM 65 SX (son's ride)
2004 F250 5.4 w/ 8' utility bed
2008 F350 5.4 SRW chassis w/9' Royal utility bed
svlandscape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is there a way to make the stabilizer jacks swivel up out of the way while youre towing, and then be able to pin them in the "down" position when you're camped?
New truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO guages, DB HT starter (no more), Superchips 1705 tuner, Reese Titan, AIS, IPT pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, IPT pre-pump filter kit.
dlblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Most campers I've seen have steel brackets that hang below the stabilizers when they are fully up. The brackets protect the jacks and trailer body from dragging. OR buy some scissor jacks at a junk yard and put them out when you get to your camp site.
AIS intake.
ISSPRO EV Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans temp.
4" MBRP turbo back.
DP Tuner: 1,200HI, 80E, 120R, 80tow, 60tow.
Overboost Annihilator.
ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor.
IH Bellowed up-pipes.
BTS 4R100. -10/11/2010
diablo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlandscape View Post
I have a 26' tandem axle toyhauler and I am tired of replacing the stabalizer jacks that are on each corner. Just welded on a new one yesterday. I hit them on some of the uneven roads when we go out to the desert to go bike riding. My F350 has plenty of ground clearance, but I just dread going to some sweet camping spots because of the possible damage and expense.

I have what I believe are called underslung axles and they sit on top of the leaf springs. On the part of the axle that sits on top of the leaf springs, a "C" channel piece of steel is welded on facing front to back with a cutout matching the contour of the axle.

If it was a straight axle I can see that it is pretty straightforward, just put axle under leaf springs, bolt it all together again, make sure brakes still work, and adios! But with these underslung axles I just don't know.

How hard is it to do this? Is it even safe for a DIYer to do?

Thanks for any help
SV
Some trailer axles have a bend/bow in them to compensate for axle flex, some are stronger and don't have the bend. If yours have a bend, you can't flip them because the bend would be down instead of up. If they are straight you can flip them.

How hard is it to do, and is it safe for a DIY'er? Based on the mere fact that you are asking may indicate inexperience, so I would say "difficult, and "no"". I would really feel bad if I told you easy and yes, then read about you on the evening news getting squished by an RV!

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
RatherBNtheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
On the part of the axle that sits on top of the leaf springs, a "C" channel piece of steel is welded on facing front to back with a cutout matching the contour of the axle.
No, any decent RV/trailer fab shop or supply has a variety of ready-made spring perches (the name for what you describe above) in stock. They're reasonably priced and will fit you axle diameter and spring pack width perfectly.
Quote:
How hard is it to do, and is it safe for a DIY'er?
I can't speak for your ability, but wasting the better part of my life away as a heavy truck mechanic, I did my own in less than a day. Here's the procedure on my '24 gooseneck Prowler travel trailer and maybe you can decide for yourself:
I jacked up the trailer plenty high enough to give me working room and put 4 jack stands in front of and behind the tandem axle assemblies. Then I removed tires/wheels, unbolted the U-bolts, cut the electric brake wires and unbolted one end of each spring main leaf. Then I rolled each axle out, (probably slid them on a sheet of plywood) out towards me from under the trailer. Then I arc welded each new spring perch on top of each axle directly over the underaxle old ones. After bolting the spring packs back up, I slid the axles back into position, and reinstalled everything and spliced in longer wire for my electric brakes. One important thing, we all say "flip" the axles but you DO NOT flip them over, most all of them have a built-in camber bend to them so you don't get abnormal tire wear. The up side of each axle stays up after they're are mounted under your spring assemblies. I did mine over 12 years ago before I ever pulled it, right after the seller delivered it to my place, due to a lack of proper bed rail to gooseneck subframe clearance with my Ford.
It's easy to determine how much of a lift you will get if you crawl underneath with a tape measure. It will be the width of your spring pack + spring perch. It's been so long ago I can't remember, but I think in my case I didn't even need to buy new U-bolts.
Hope this helps.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-14-2009 at 10:04 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did my own on my 30' Damon 5er. One thing that I had to address was new shock mounts since the perch was now further away. New u-bolts and perches from a spring shop was about all it took. It can be done by an average ability DIYer but it might also be wise to see how much a spring shop would charge in comparison
DP Tuner and guages, DIY air intake, BTM,
Dieselsites trans and coolant filters
Wicked wheel 2 , Guzzles billet fpr
Whiskyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Right, I was just going to add that. If the OP has shocks, that has to taken into consideration. Monroe makes complete kits for trailers, don't know if they sell mounts separately.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
As LMJD mentioned, you don't literally "flip" the axles. Instead you move the spring perches from under the axles to on top of the axles. Not only are almost all RV axles the kind that have a slight curve in them, the electric brakes wouldn't like being upside down. The amount of lift you get will be the outside diameter of the axle plus twice the depth thickness of the spring perch.

This will work only on trailers that have the normal suspension of leaf springs and shackles and perches. Mor-Ride and other fancy trailer suspensions are a different kettle of worms.

Another more risky way to raise the trailer an inch or two is to install longer shackles. But understand the physics of leverage before you do that. The longer shackles will probably also need to be beefier to handle the increased leverage, and then you may have trouble with frame strength.

And yes, if your trailer has shocks, that's an added complication you must deal with. But most smaller and medium-size RV trailers don't have shocks.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

The reason they put underslung axles on toy haulers is to give it a low profile for the rear door (ramp) "steepness". Maybe you just have to add shocks on or replace the springs with heavyer ones,or just add a leaf . You can't believe how much RV's bounce, unless you rode in one . RLDSL member just flipped his axles, you might PM him about flipping yours.

Your quote:
" I have what I believe are called underslung axles and they sit on top of the leaf springs. On the part of the axle that sits on top of the leaf springs, a "C" channel piece of steel is welded on facing front to back with a cutout matching the contour of the axle."
If what your saying that the springs are under the axle, then you could weld a C channel on top of the axle in the same location. That should lift the trailer up about 4 to 6 inches.

What does Flipping an RV Trailer Axle Mean? - RV Basics .com Look here. Good info.

Last edited by Bill1013; 01-14-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: web site
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
Here is what I did to mine, or rather had the dealer do it. He flipped the axle and installed this kit from Dexter. It is well worth installing this kit at the same time you are flipping. The trailer ride is 1000 times better than stock.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dexter HD Suspension & EZ-Flex Install (long w/ pictures)
1998.5 E350 7.3 extended cargo with Late model doors ,power windows, locks and mirrors.Isspro gauges from DPPI, Power Slot Cryo rotors from DPPI, Hawk LTS from DPPI,NAPA DOT 4 brake fluid,NAPA calipers,Evans coolant,Dieselsite ac control valve,Dieselsite 203* thermostatat,,Amsoil dual oil filter, Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil,4 inch Warpspeed Performance exhaust,Thermo-Tec Exhaust Insulating Wrap, Bilstein shocks,Line-X 2-06-2009 103,400 miles following added Beans stage II single shot injectors, Air Dog, Beans regulated fuel return with fuel bowl delete, glow plugs and Stancor gp relay, Beans modified IDM, Stealth HPOP stage I, Dominator 66 turbo, DpTuner reflashed factory pcm that was split shot injectors to the single shots, 9 tunes from DP Tuner including decel tune,tuflocs on all doors, Snow water-methanol injection stage 3 installed by Beans Diesel, BTS tranny installed on 4-29-2010
mtnbiktn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Not sure if it would work or not but could you add a set of air shocks/bags to lift it up when you are in the dirt and then just drop down for better highway travelling
DP Tuner and guages, DIY air intake, BTM,
Dieselsites trans and coolant filters
Wicked wheel 2 , Guzzles billet fpr
Whiskyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for all the very helpful info guys.

My toyhauler is just a simple leaf springs/shackle/perch setup, no shocks or other fancy suspension.

This is something I know I could do, but the only thing that worries me is the welding of the perch on top of the axle. I consider myself somewhat handy with my wire-feed welder, but I am by no means an expert at it and I think I would worry about things coming apart at 65MPH with all my gear in it. I think I will leave it to an expert.

I will go to my local RV repair shop and get prices on this, I'm sure they have done this before.

Once again thanks for the help!
SV
2004 KTM 65 SX (son's ride)
2004 F250 5.4 w/ 8' utility bed
2008 F350 5.4 SRW chassis w/9' Royal utility bed
svlandscape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I just took my axles off and brought them to a welder I knew. I am sure one would do it for less than the dealer. I would also bet a welder will do a better job of welding then the dealer. They might not even weld the new spring pearch. Dexter does have a kit that does not require welding but I had mine done anyway.
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
This is something I know I could do, but the only thing that worries me is the welding of the perch on top of the axle
Like Beast posted, take the axles to a welding shop along with the spring perches. You're talking 1/2 hour labor max to weld the perches on and you'll save hours of labor cost if you do the rest yourself. I bought my trailer used, so when I did the axles it was a good time to inspect and pack all my wheel bearings and adjust trailer brakes. I think it was at that time I replaced all my spring and shackle bushings too. If yours are worn, replacement's a lot easier (and way easier lifting and prying involved) with the axles out of the way.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-15-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svlandscape View Post
Wow, thanks for all the very helpful info guys.

My toyhauler is just a simple leaf springs/shackle/perch setup, no shocks or other fancy suspension.

This is something I know I could do, but the only thing that worries me is the welding of the perch on top of the axle. I consider myself somewhat handy with my wire-feed welder, but I am by no means an expert at it and I think I would worry about things coming apart at 65MPH with all my gear in it. I think I will leave it to an expert.

I will go to my local RV repair shop and get prices on this, I'm sure they have done this before.

Once again thanks for the help!
SV
"No shocks", eh?

If you're going to do this, set it up to put shocks on it!!! It's the best handling mod you can do for the money. You'll thank me for the advice after you drive it once.

OMC
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.