Gravity feed for RDS fuel tanks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gravity feed for RDS fuel tanks

I have been evaluating inbed fuel tanks for my new 2005 F350 Powerstroke. I discussed the setup from Northern Tools with the factory at RDS. The technical guy I talked with recommended that they have a new gravity feed installation that has some special valve that will not allow the OEM tank to overfill. He took quite a bit of time to describe the installation and I must admit it sounded very interesting. The cost for the gravity feed kit was $60 dollars plus UPS shipping. Does anyone have any information about the RDS fuel tanks quality? Has anyone heard of this kit RDS is starting to sell?

2005 F350 Lariat Crew LWB, Line-X, B&W Turnover ball with the Companion fifthwheel hitch
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gravity feed for RDS fuel tanks

I have a 90 gal. tool/fuel combo made by RDS. I bought it new and installed it in the fall of 2000. I was very dissapointed in it for several reasons.

The fuel pickup was mounted in the front left corner. This caused it to suck air when the tank was still 2/3 full going up a 4 percent grade. RDS told me to bring it by (900 miles from home) or ship it to them at my expense and they would inspect it. Both of the options were unacceptable to me so I fixed it by installing my own homemade pickup.

There was no tank vent. I fixed this by installing a rollover safe vent from American Tank and Toolbox.

I am now happy with this tank after all the work I did on it. I don't believe I saved much money compared to buying one from a name brand tank supplier since I also had to purchase a level sender, vent, and installation kit.

RDS did recommend to me that I just put in a gravity feed to the factory tank (they didn't have this new valve that you mention back then). I am not comfortable with this idea since everything I have read says that a gravity feed is not legal.

If you find out that their gravity feed with the special valve is actually D.O.T. legal (I wouldn't advise taking RDS word for it) please respond because I would be interested in it also.

Jeff
2000 F-350 PSD supercab SRW 2WD auto, 4:10 LS, modified AIS, Banks Big Hoss Level 5, Monster Exhaust, BB Turbo, Power Elbow, Factory Tech Valve Body, 90 Gal. Tool/Fuel Combo
rvjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

Ive seen and have talked to drivers that have them most are dodges, Ill stick with my electric pump auto cut off.fills faster and I need the potty break,
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just purchased a RDS 60 gal. tank/tool box combo from Northern tool. [ QUOTE ]
The fuel pickup was mounted in the front left corner.

There was no tank vent. I fixed this by installing a rollover safe vent from American Tank and Toolbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of the above mentioned problems are fixed. The tank now has a roll over valve/vent. The pick up is in the center of the tank, along with return, it also has a gauge in it now. The gauge is in the tool box section.

I'm gravity feeding my front tank for now. I'm evaluating this idea. I didn't buy RDS's set up. I just installed a manual shut off, along with a 12 volt valve from NAPA. It appears to be working fine so far. Hope this helps, Carl.
97 F-350,4wd,cc,long bed,4.10,35's,rebuilt E40D,H2E,3" intakes,Head studs,,pyrometer,boost,trans temp,home made open intake,Joe servo IDM, Inner cooler retro,Baby swamps 170/146, Bills 3 position chip,Updated HPOP, home made oil bypass filter system, A/C mod, updated super duty fuel system, 60 gal/toobox combo.
ccolby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

ccolby,

Thanks for that reply. It's good to hear that they have fixed these problems.

Jeff
2000 F-350 PSD supercab SRW 2WD auto, 4:10 LS, modified AIS, Banks Big Hoss Level 5, Monster Exhaust, BB Turbo, Power Elbow, Factory Tech Valve Body, 90 Gal. Tool/Fuel Combo
rvjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 96 psd f250 and was wondering if an aux. tank can be plumbed in the main fuel line ahead of where the dual tanks come together?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

I have the RDS 90 gallon aux fuel tank 72118 and the RDS gravity feed kit installed in my '06 PSD.

The tank was a pain to install due to it's 60" width and the clearances needed for the 3/4" to 3/8" fitting. The drain is on the right hand side of the tank, yet the fuel fill for the PSD is on the left; go figure.

The tank has a vent with a roll-over valve in it. The gravity feed system works very well. I have mine plumbed through a 3 micron Wix 33005 WS fuel filter with a McMaster-Carr 400 psi SS ball valve at the drain point on the tank. All fuel for my truck now goes through the aux fuel tank and the 3 micron filter before going into the main tank. The first time I filled the aux fuel tank, with only 50 gallons, it took about 2 hours to fill the main tank from just above quarter full.

The gravity feed system has a roll-over valve in it that prevents the main tank from overfilling. The downside is that the main fuel tank sees a full tank for +200 miles and the truck computer throws a code saying you have a bad fuel quantity sensor. This just happened to me last Saturday and I'm still waiting for the tank gauge to go down so I can confirm and clear the code.

Gravity feed legality: Go read 49 CFR 393.65 and decide for yourself. It's pretty clear, despite their best attempts to make it unclear. Also read 49 CFR 393.67c5 for drain fittings. For diesel, it appears that gravity feed is legal, at least for DOT.

Good luck.

Al

ETA: All DOT regulations can be read and downloaded at the www.gpo.gov site, select "GPO Access", then "Online Resources" and then click on the "Code of Federal Regulations" link, then go down to "49" which is the DOT section.

Al
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.