Hauling with 3/4-1 ton to make a buck (Hotshot hauling) Questions... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hauling with 3/4-1 ton to make a buck (Hotshot hauling) Questions...

Hi everyone, I know this question isn't really tech related but I want to direct this question to all owners of 3/4-1 ton trucks who are Hotshot hauling (owner-operators). Running anything from 5th wheels to cargo on flatbeds, cars etc. I'm situated in Central Canada and looking for new opportunities. I'm thinking of doing this as a part-time opportunity making half a dozen or so runs a month and with the extra time home (compared to my waky-hour full-time job now), I could get more serious about getting my small business off the ground.

A couple questions...
What rigs are you running?
What kind of money can I estimate making during first couple yrs?
What licencing/DOT/etc. do I need to have?
Good companies to work for?

Thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
Primered86XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hauling with 3/4-1 ton to make a buck (Hotshot hauling) Questions...

There are several companies out there that are looking for contract haulers for RV's, horse trailers, etc. They mostly deliver new units to dealers and private owners. You can find them on the net by typing in a few key words under search mode. They're fairly informative.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

I think if you were going to do this for a living, I'd buy a long, dual tandem flatbed and haul freight instead of just doing trailer transport and delivery. The mileage rate is way to low for delivering trailers.
Ag__Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I'd be willing to haul anything that doesn't exceed my trucks limits. Shorter runs with a trun-around time of 1 day to max of 4? This is not necessarily to make 100% of my income. Need to supplement about $30-40,000/yr.
I've run alot of searches for days now and am finding a lot of US sites but not much Canadian?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hate to break it to ya, but to make that kinda money you'd be runnin at least 30+ hours a week. Guy I talked to just today, said he made about 100K last year, but he was on his 6th load this week already [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]. He is signed on with 11 different companies, he sometimes spends the entire ride on the phone setting up his next load. Had an 01 dually with 417,000 miles on it, Stroke of course [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Trinity
Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey or should i say eey?(sp?)as the canadians I spoke to yesterday said.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Life is what you make of it, thats it!!! If you got a chance to hual to the US to make $$, then go for it. Just Like if I had $$$ to haul to Canada, I'd go for it.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

Plan on staying away from home for 1 month at a time, if you want to make any money at all.

Plan on insurance costing you double what your truck payment costs. Maybe 1K to 1.5K a month.

Your equipment will be your smallest investment compared to insurance, plates, taxes and the like.

Fuel, at least around here is at an all time high. I think this would be just about the worst time to get into hot shotting.

If you are bound and determined to do it. Try to find a local company that needs your service. Backing hauling will be your biggest problem. Loads from home are always easy, it is getting back home Loaded that is the hard part.

Plenty of on line broker companies out there these days. Although I couldn't tell you which are good to haul for and those that will cheat you out of your last dollar.

Good Luck
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info. I'd be willing to haul anything that doesn't exceed my trucks limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think your truck limits are 26 - 33,000 pounds, you'll be okay. If you use Ford's limits of 20-22000 pounds, you'll never make it in the Hot Shot business hauling. You might deliver campers but I don't think you'll get enough light loads with a flatbed to stay under Ford limits. Heck, if you use Fords limits, you'll be loaded just hooking up your empty trailer.

If you really want to Hot Shot, here's a truck for you: Ebay Hot Shot Rig
Ag__Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Actually I already have the truck paid for and ready to go. I have a 2001 F350 Superduty Supercab, longbox, SRW, diesel. I know plates/insurance/maintenance will be my big costs. I was just thinking since I have the truck, love to travel(and drive my truck!), I might be able to haul one load down and one back(when I'm lucky, or I'd haul my own purchase back like a vehicle to resell). The rest of the weekI'd be working my own small business, manufacturing in niche market so no set hrs. or productivity rates. My wife doesn't like the idea of me driving and being away for long periods of time as we want to have kids in the next couple yrs. but would be fine if I was gone 3-4 nights max a week. Maybe one week there would be nothing to haul so I'd just work at home (my small business). That's not a problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to Hot Shot, here's a truck for you: Ebay Hot Shot Rig

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW!!

That is awesome!
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Wobblin-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

It is a nice truck, but my question is, why is he selling it with only 10,XXX miles on it? Practially new! Hot Shot not making enough money anymore? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

2004 F350 SRW Lariat CC LWB FX4 6.0 6spd 3.73 LS, weighs #8040 wet PICS SOLD @ 78K

2005 F350 C&C CC 4WD XLT PSD Auto 3.73 open rear. SOLD. Good riddance.

2000 F350 SC C&C XLT 6 spd PSD 4.11 rear. SOLD @80K
1995 F250 XLT PSD SC Auto. 3.55 rear end. SOLD @ 149K
DieselDennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Very nice looking truck. I'd like to have it.

But is it really a cab and chassis or is it a pickup with the box removed?

With the Fords, cab and chassis trucks have a longer frame than a LB pickup, with the option of a MUCH longer frame. Also the frame is straight as an arrow from the cab back and the rear spring pack is much thicker and the GVWR is higher.

If Dodge is now offering a cab and chassis like that, I will give Dodge a try next time!

Anybody know enough about unravelling the VIN and/or options to determine if that that is a cab and chassis?

Mark
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

it is a dodge 3500 with the bed removed.

they are rumored to be offering a c/c in a year or two. but i have been hearing that since 03.so its anybody's guess.

i am running a dodge 3500 for most of my loads, and it has held up ok i guess. yesterday i took a picture of my 2005 chevy 3500 with 300 square bales on a 32' flatbed grossing ~ 33,000#.... the dodge hauls it much better than the chevy, and the f550 hauls it even better. the problem with running the dodge is the price of 17 tires, they are still too high in comparison to 16" tires
2004 f550 11 flatbed, 6.0, 6spd, 19,000gvw, vac/hyd brakes
previous truck - 1995 F-350 cc srw 4x4 5spd
CCOUGHRAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
It is a nice truck, but my question is, why is he selling it with only 10,XXX miles on it? Practially new! Hot Shot not making enough money anymore? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that the listing says back converted to day cab, not sleeper like he's got it set up as. My understanding is that this wouldn't qualify as a DOT approved sleeper and you can't log it's use as such.
If this is fact then I wonder if motels ate into his profits too much when he found out.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
it is a dodge 3500 with the bed removed.

they are rumored to be offering a c/c in a year or two. but i have been hearing that since 03.so its anybody's guess.

i am running a dodge 3500 for most of my loads, and it has held up ok i guess. yesterday i took a picture of my 2005 chevy 3500 with 300 square bales on a 32' flatbed grossing ~ 33,000#.... the dodge hauls it much better than the chevy, and the f550 hauls it even better. the problem with running the dodge is the price of 17 tires, they are still too high in comparison to 16" tires

[/ QUOTE ]
What about your F450 and F550 with the 19" tires? Aren't they expensive?

BTW, I'm still marvelling at that Dodge!
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Wobblin-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.