Hauling 4 wheeler on back of my fifth wheel camper? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hauling 4 wheeler on back of my fifth wheel camper?

I am considering having a platform rig built to haul a 500 lb. four wheeler on the back of my 36 foot fifth wheel. I have at least a 3600 lb. pin weight as well. The welder who will build this has built one for his fifth wheel for a handicap scooter without a problem. He will put a 2 inch receiver on each frame rail to accept the platform so it can be removed. Has anyone out there done this or something like this? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
2x6 Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hauling 4 wheeler on back of my fifth wheel camper?

Check with the manufacturer of your 5th wheel. I did it to a travel trailer and got horrible sway above 50mph, seemed like I didnt have near enough tongue weight and I only used it for some light cargo and a 100lb. generator but I have seen it done. Im sure some of 5th wheels and travel trailers are built stong enough to handle this or you wouldnt be able to tow behind some of them.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD CC torqueshift,XLT,FX4,white, rubber floors, tow command,spray-in bed liner, Weathergaurd rv tool box, Weathergaurd PakRat tool box, Michelen HD floor mats, Rack-it lumber rack, Fumoto valve, XM, Pop-Up G/N hitch, 62,000 miles already!

1994 KDX 250
2001 TTR 225
2003 Honda Recon
1999 PW 50
1988 KD 80X
jwoops69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I posted to a trailer forum and the had a picture of a guy towing a 22 foot I/O boat behind a 30 ft fifth wheel with a powerstroke. Talk about a load!
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Things really whipsaw around when suspended off the bumper. I had a spare tire and a bike rack with two bicycles that tore the bumper off of my coachmen 26.5 Travel Trailer.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
He will put a 2 inch receiver on each frame rail to accept the platform so it can be removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's do-able. But the welder will need to add some reinforcing junk iron to the back frame of the 5er to make it strong enough to handle the extra weight and the flopping that Greenie mentioned. I would go with three of those two-inch receivers, including one in the center to be used as a trailer hitch if needed under other conditions. Then very carefuly make the platform so it will easily slide into those receivers.

I have an ordinary "luggage carrier" platform that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver on the back of the 5er. The platform is rated for 500 pounds, and I probably haul about 400 pounds back there on some trips when the genearator is hauled back there. But I need to have that carrier redesigned to have three receivers so it doesn't flop up and down on the sides of the carrier on rough roads.

500 pounds added to the tail end of your 5er will redistribute the 5er gross weight from hitch weight to your trailer axle weight, but it shouldn't be enough to worry about - assuming you have excess tire capacity and trailer axle capacity. The first trip with the new load back there, get a CAT scale report and be certain you are not overloading either the trailer axles or tires. And if your hitch weight is not at least 15 percent of gross trailer weight, then maybe move other stuff from the back of the trailer to the front to balance the load better.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Smokey,
I have every confidence in my welder guy. I saw him build a complete log trailer in his shop! He has a degree in architectural design. He does beautiful quality welding work. He looked at my Montana fiver that does not come with any rear bumper. He also has the same Honda 350 that I have and has a fifth wheel with a platform carrier that he built and puts a handicap scooter on it.
3 receivers would be great as well!
I agree about the reinforcing junk on the back! That C channel frame is not that thick back there. The overhung load is my biggest concern. Pin weight I'm over 3600 lbs. With my tools and my wifes stuff way more!
I just need a few I dunnit and works great reinforcements for me!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I saw a fiver with a quad on the back like you said and after looking around the trailer Where the slide slides in it was bigger on the top rear and was rubbing the slide when it came in on the top front.

Looked like to me that the frame was pulling down in the rear and making the slide in hole rack to the rear.

I wouldn't do it . I would buy one with the rear garage and know it was designed to do that.
Pulls better stock than my 01 with a programmer
New engine at 42k . Hope my luck with this 6.0 is changed .
firesoutmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a fiver with a quad on the back like you said and after looking around the trailer Where the slide slides in it was bigger on the top rear and was rubbing the slide when it came in on the top front.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Can you decode that sentence for me.
lrantan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Father in Law had one built on his last 5er and used two 2in. receiver tubes and had the last 3ft. of the frame rails boxed and a crossmember added. He used it for 6 years with a Polaris 500 Sportsman 4X4. He made many trips to Oregon, Utah, and weekend trips to Glamis with no problems. He since has traded up to a32 ft Toyhauler. My last trip to the Oregon Dunes I saw an older 22 ft. Aljo TT that they added 8ft. to the front and put a flat deck for 2 Quads. It was a very clean and looked almost factory.
2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
pics
bikerforchrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (61)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Firesoutmatt saw a fifth wheel with a quad rack built on the back. Upon closer inspection of the opening in the trailer body for the slide he discovered the opening was no longer square. The top rear had pulled away from the slide itself toward the back of the trailer and the top front had pulled back into the slide enough to rub when moving the slide into position.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Firesoutmatt saw a fifth wheel with a quad rack built on the back. Upon closer inspection of the opening in the trailer body for the slide he discovered the opening was no longer square. The top rear had pulled away from the slide itself toward the back of the trailer and the top front had pulled back into the slide enough to rub when moving the slide into position.

Dave / Believer45

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a better way of saying it. Thanks
Pulls better stock than my 01 with a programmer
New engine at 42k . Hope my luck with this 6.0 is changed .
firesoutmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (61)

Hope I didn't offend - I sure did not intend to. My thought actually was that everything was there for anyone to read in your response.

If I did offend I apologize.

Also, what you found would certainly make me think twice about doing something like this to a trailer with a slide.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm getting two opposite views. I've seen it done works great and Oh no it could be bad news for your rig.
A friend said put the rack on the front of the truck! I said no way to that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to ruin a $50,000 camper. I think I might make other plans. Like have somebody follow me pulling the quad on a trailer or in the pickup bed.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Is it legal to tow doubles anymore? If it is, cant you just mount a receiver an tow a small single axle trailer with the quad on it? There shouldnt be that much tongue weight.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Towing doubles is technically illegal in the state of Georgia. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] Of course I've seen it done. A friend asked a Georgia State Patrol officer if he would ticket them he said no! Go figure! I have considered maybe trying the double tow. After all what are they going to do.... give me a ticket. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.