The Diesel Stop banner

Help !!! Do I have enough truck ?

9K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  SmokeyWren 
#1 ·
Hi team,

We've been Rving for 3years (newbees) and we're hooked...

We have a 2005 F250 King Ranch:
9800# GVWR PKG, Towing PKg, 23000GCWR
We installed Firestone Air Bag system on rear two years ago while we had the Montana.

We just upgraded... Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite (5th wheel)...
16,950 GCWR, with TrailAir Center Point Air Suspension

We loaded up the trailer, filled up the tank and went to the Truck stop scale. Here's what it registered...

Steering Axle ... 4,360#
Drive Axle ...... 6,640#
Trailer Axle .... 12,020#
Gross Weight .... 23,020#

I'm 20# above my GCWR. We can easily drop 200lbs because We really don't need to carry 23 gallons of fresh water.

I guess I'm asking if we will be ok as long as we stay under the 23,000 GCWR?

See less See more
#2 ·
You will be fine. It has been my experience that weight ratings have a tolerance. If you stay within 10% of the rating, you should have no problems.

I have the same truck and it handles weight in excess of yours on a periodic basis. My only advice is to be sure your trailer brakes are in good condition. Getting the combination moving is one thing, stopping it under control is another.

Good Luck

#3 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmerK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be fine. It has been my experience that weight ratings have a tolerance. If you stay within 10% of the rating, you should have no problems.</div></div>

Pardon me? He is already 1200# over his GVWR (add up the front and rear axle loads)

More info is needed on your tow rig regarding 4x4 etc.

This is sounding like the usual RV dealer telling you that the truck you have will tow a house without a problem and if you have a problem you're on your own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmerK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Luck </div></div>

I'd say so

#4 ·
Thanks,

I really appreciate the responses ...

Here are some more specs on our truck ...
F-250(SRW)
6.0L Turbo Diesel V8
FAWR ... 4,700
RAWR ... 6,100

#5 ·
I'm sorry my friend but you have too much trailer for that truck. The air bags will allow you to think that everyting is OK since it sits level but the axle #'s will tell you otherwise. For me there are numbers that can be 'overdone' but the GAWR's are not one of them since that means bearings and carrying capacity, regardless of how many/much brakes you have.

#6 ·
You should be OK on the GCW. The rear axel weight is the thing I would be watching most. You are already 440 lbs over the 6200# rating, so I would try to keep any additional weight off of it.

The truck is also 1200# over the 9800# GVW. I do not know what wheels and tires are on your truck but you are already at 3320# each on the rear.....You may need to upgrade.

Also I would suggest a tire pressure monitoring system for at least the trailer, the truck would be nice too.
We have an HR Presidential 34SKD and had two tire failures before we installed the pressure monitoring system. The second blow out I never knew about until someone told me about it on the freeway.

My personal opinion: You do not have enough truck.

#7 ·
Thanks friends...

I'll look into the tire pressure monitoring systems. Any suggestions on where we can get them?

Would it help the truck RAWR if wew put on higher rated tires?

#8 ·
wow you better lighten the load that 20 pounds will get u a $10,000 fine by the weight police!!!!!! just kidding
20# is mud on the underside they will have no problem with it
and the truck is rated way below what it can realy tow

#9 ·
No. Higher rated tires will not increase the axle rating.

I have the Pressure Pro system. $190 for the panel that goes in the truck and $50 for each sensor on the valve stems.

#10 ·
I would upgrade the truck to a dually for added stability with that kind of load. You need an F-350 at the least, but I think you will be happier with the F-450.

Yes, the 450 is overkill, but bigger is better, and safer for what you are trying to do. The wear and tear on an F-250 towing that kind of load will cost you more over time in the way of brakes, transmissions, etc.

#11 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 88beast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow you better lighten the load that 20 pounds will get u a $10,000 fine by the weight police!!!!!! just kidding
20# is mud on the underside they will have no problem with it
and the truck is rated way below what it can realy tow </div></div>

I'm sorry, I've had a long day but... when are you going to stop providing people with advice when you have no experience or idea at all?

Sorry for the flame but this just keeps going on and on... (weld on a fuel tank anyone...?)

#12 ·
I saw where someone posted your rear GAWR, does this conform to whatever tires are on your truck?

DOT does not care about what your door sticker says. When they weigh you they are going to look at the weight rating of the tires that are on the truck. Example 3400# each tire times two equals 6800#. This is your true GAWR.

DOT also does not care about your MFG GVWR, but go over the weight of the sum of your two tires on any axle and they will sink their fangs into you.

#13 ·
I would use a dually due to the rear axle weight. You will be at the limit of any good tire and summer heat may cause problems. I'd watch loading the bed and tongue up with weight.

#14 ·
You guys are awesome...

I really appreciate all the advice, the humor, and the candor...

Looks like I need a truck...

We love our King Ranch so much... It is beautiful ... But I guess it's time to upgrade. We can let go ...

BTW... We are not full timers yet.. We go about 10 times a year, mostly short runs. Will we be ok keeping this one for a while?

#15 ·
Gordon,

I realize you have a really nice truck now, but if it were me, I'd re-truck. We all try to get the most we can out of our rigs, but if you are considering going full time, its safer and more comfortable to have the truck you need instead of not enough and trying to get by.

I missed where you are located, so I'd look carefully at the 450 -350 thing. The 450 is a good truck, but in many places, you've now crossed the line into a "medium duty" where commercial plate and insurance may come into play, even if it is for recreational use. Check your state regs on registration and licensing before making the leap, if the 350 will do the job.

Also, at that point - if the 450 is really the truck you need for that trailer, you may want to explore something like a Low Cab Forward truck instead of a pickup. You'll be full timing and need a tow rig, maybe not a pickup.

Good Luck!

OMC

#16 ·
About 10 years ago we used to travel frequently (my parents I was much younger) and we had a 40' Teton Homes camper that was pushing 18-20k when we would travel and we used a 92' F-350 with a 7.3 and banks turbuo kit for a while. long story short in about 5 years we went through 1 motor, 4 tranny's and 6 sets of brakes (maybe 40,000 towing miles TOPS) the brakes were the worst, these were not just worn parts but the rotors actually cracked from heat. Other than powertrain and brake failuers it handled the load fine. We later upgraded to a International 4900 and still found hills that would drag it down, but stopping power and overall safety were much better.

I would look into an F-450 just for the braking power, suspension wise the F-350 should be fine and honestly more comfortable when towing at freeway speeds with the taller gears. Dually is definitly a must for towing duty for the added stability.

#17 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordonJP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will we be ok keeping this one for a while? </div></div>
Sure, you'll be fine, as long as you don't try to tow that trailer with this truck. Then you'll have problems.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

#18 ·
GordonJP, do a little snooping around this forum. You might like what you read. I'm a bit over GCVW on my rig and will likely go this route when ready to replace the tow rig.

#19 ·
OMC,

Thanks for the advice.

We live in Texas... so any info you have on that would be appreciated.

Also, thanks for the points on the F450. I started looking at one today. I really don't think I need that much truck (do you think I need that much?) so I will probably go with the F350 DRW to avoid the additional regs.

Thanks again,

Gordon

#20 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordonJP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
GordonJP,
It was somewhat unclear in your original thread what the manufacturers GVWR is for your new trailer since you stated 16,950 G<u>C</u>WR.

Actual rig weight and scales aside, at 11,400 GVWR on a typical 1-ton that only leaves you with 14,600 lbs GVWR on your trailer before you are required to have a Class ‘A’ Commercial license in Texas. No other permits needed in Texas for personal use and your regular insurance will cover liability on your trailer. The F450 will surely surpass the 26,000 lbs GCWR state/fed limit.

#21 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Kovalsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordonJP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will we be ok keeping this one for a while? </div></div>
Sure, you'll be fine, as long as you don't try to tow that trailer with this truck. Then you'll have problems.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

This is the guy I'd listen to. Mark's been involved with the development of the powertrain for these trucks.

If you're doing short trips & drive sanely (60 - 65), AND don't get into heavy terrain, you might keep this one a bit. But if you ever get to where you want to go someplace steep, or go there FAST, I don't think I'd use this truck. There's nothing worse on a nice trip than 30 seconds of pucker factor to louse the whole trip up. (Well I take that back - an accident w/ PI would really screw it up).

I got my truck figuring my trailer (1st time - so I wasn't sure what I'd get) wouldn't gross over 10k. I have plenty of truck for my 6k TT. But if I start looking to go full time w/ a larger trailer, I'll definitely look for a bigger truck. Its just more comfortable not to have to worry about the equipment.

#22 ·
To put it plainly. You do not have enough truck. You are over on RGAWR and GVWR and GCWR. I don't think I would worry about GCWR or GVWR but I would not go over the GAWR.

#23 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hook_em_Horns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordonJP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
GordonJP,
It was somewhat unclear in your original thread what the manufacturers GVWR is for your new trailer since you stated 16,950 G<u>C</u>WR.

Actual rig weight and scales aside, at 11,400 GVWR on a typical 1-ton that only leaves you with 14,600 lbs GVWR on your trailer before you are required to have a Class &#145;A&#146; Commercial license in Texas. No other permits needed in Texas for personal use and your regular insurance will cover liability on your trailer. The F450 will surely surpass the 26,000 lbs GCWR state/fed limit.</div></div>

My F-450 is rated at 24,500 GCWR because I did not get the tow package, which basically is heavier springs. The curb weight is 8800 lbs., payload capacity is 14,500. My trailer is 10,000 lbs. loaded with cargo. This kept me under the CDL license requirement of 26,001 lbs. Also, the F-450 has the wide-track front-end as standard equipment, which gives you a tighter turning radius, where the F-350 has it as an option. Bigger is better for towing and fuel economy while towing. I went with the 4:30 gear ratio. The F-450 can tow up to 33,000 GCWR with a 5th wheel trailer.

#24 ·
Zullo,what the Heck is an F450 Lariat Hybrid? is it the same as a Ford escape Hybrid? Just wondering if I missed something.

#25 ·
i thinks he runs bio? ive heard that befor if it is a true hybrid id like to see that i wonder the fuel milage on that?

#26 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 88beast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i thinks he runs bio? ive heard that befor if it is a true hybrid id like to see that i wonder the fuel milage on that? </div></div>Ahh maybe that's what he means,I think I would have heard of a S.D Hybrid (a real one anyway)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.