HELP! Insurance on '08 F450! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Insurance on '08 F450!

I ordered a 2008 F450 that should be into the dealership in a few weeks. I am having a problem finding a company to insure it! We have Met Life and they will not insure it even though we now have an F350 with them. Our agent is having a hard time finding a company that will take the F450. I am retired and will use it only to pull our new 5th wheel. It will be strictly for pleasure use. Anybody out there that has a 08' F450 please let me know who you insure with. Any help is greatly appreciated.
georgefl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
re: HELP! Insurance on '08 F450!

Try Markel, They used to be a commercial vehicle insurer. They have several insurance lines and may be able to help. http://www.markelcorp.com/
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Got mine through Amercian RV. The agents name is Bill. Had to insure the 5er with them as well. Progressive wrote the policy. Go figure~
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have Progressive/Statewide on mine. Not sure who is covering who but my rates jumped several hundred dollars for the year since it's now considered commercial insurance. Upside is I've got a whole lot more coverage then my old regular policy!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

STATE FARM saved me lots of money on my 550.
- Shawn Collister #16 ATV MX -
- Tampa Florida United States of America -

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- AIS, 4" Magnaflow, scan gauge, Vegistroke V3

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto/4.56 rear- 4" MBRP, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett BB, X monitor
Tampa550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Somebody please check the insurance comapny's underwriters ears for feces 'cause somebody's head is up their rectum.
Insure a less capable, smaller brakes truck that is FAR more likely to lose control and run over someone but run you off or charge you WAY too much if you opt to do the right thing and go to a slightly larger truck that has the same footprint but better turning radius.

I was able to badger my State farm agent into working a little bit and covering the F450 hauler bed truck for little more than the 2000 dually it replaced. But they had to something funky to cover it. I think my policy is written through State Farm county mutual of Izbhekistan.

I can easily see having a considerable jump for an F650 or for the GM 4500/5500 due to their size and much different configuration.
An F450/550 sits no higher than a F350 dually 4X4.

I know larger load and more risk but who hasn't seen Ford-GM-Dodge 1 ton duallies hauling large backhoes with lots of supplies on dual tandem trailers? I know lots of guys who stay with 1 tons and go WAY over for the insurance rate reasons.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered a 2008 F450 that should be into the dealership in a few weeks. I am having a problem finding a company to insure it! We have Met Life and they will not insure it even though we now have an F350 with them. Our agent is having a hard time finding a company that will take the F450. I am retired and will use it only to pull our new 5th wheel. It will be strictly for pleasure use. Anybody out there that has a 08' F450 please let me know who you insure with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

GMAC insurance through Good Sam has great rates.
Job1 14,500 GVWR - 29,000 GCWR
Reese Signature 24K, Line-X, Trucks USA Roll Cover, Leer 100XQ Topper
2007 DoubleTree 36TK3 Mobile Suite
18.5k GVWR
2007 Mirage Enclosed Cargo Trailer
7.0k GVWR
dz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

You could even try AAA insurance who knows people haul RV's as they offer a RV Plus membership level on the card side.

Not sure how their rates compare but they are one of the best lower premium insurance company on roofing hail claims. Usually the more you pay the more you get from insurance companies but not with AAA home insurance. Don't have them and don't know anybody who does but the claims I've worked on with them have been great.
02(12/01)Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited Ultimate No Boundaries Edition
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded
65 Mustang 289 V8 4brl, 69 GTO 400 4spd
04&09 PJ 15k dump trailers 04 H&H 9K tilt bed 98 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed 07 Dreamshak Hydraulic 20ft toy hauler/fish house.
86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

My agent insured mine through Auto Owners as an F-359 because they don't have any numbers for the F-450. The rate was slightly higher.

JC
F-450, 4wd, club cab, 4.88, KR, satellite, navigation, hi-capacity trailer towing, reverse sensor, memory mirrors/pedals/seats and tailgate step. Also Linex, TruckCoverUSA bed cover, CrimeStopper Remote Start and Alarm and a 25K Air Safe Air Ride 5er hitch. Also Banks with IQ.
Jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody please check the insurance comapny's underwriters ears for feces 'cause somebody's head is up their rectum.
Insure a less capable, smaller brakes truck that is FAR more likely to lose control and run over someone but run you off or charge you WAY too much if you opt to do the right thing and go to a slightly larger truck that has the same footprint but better turning radius.

I was able to badger my State farm agent into working a little bit and covering the F450 hauler bed truck for little more than the 2000 dually it replaced. But they had to something funky to cover it. I think my policy is written through State Farm county mutual of Izbhekistan.

I can easily see having a considerable jump for an F650 or for the GM 4500/5500 due to their size and much different configuration.
An F450/550 sits no higher than a F350 dually 4X4.

I know larger load and more risk but who hasn't seen Ford-GM-Dodge 1 ton duallies hauling large backhoes with lots of supplies on dual tandem trailers? I know lots of guys who stay with 1 tons and go WAY over for the insurance rate reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny but true !
Insurance companies...thats where the money is. Not stocks,bonds or gold.
Its not unlike insuring your house for its value of lets say 300k cuz that is its replacement value should you buy it on the market...but part of that coverage figure is for the land and improvements. What is likely to happen to my land I wonder? A meteor? Is someone going to steal my driveway ? Is something going to destroy my foundation (that they will cover)????
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I know!

I thought I was doing "the right thing" when I bought my 550 to pull my trailer.

Little did I know that insurance would be approx 2x as much as a 350 through Progressive. (they were the only co I could even find to cover it at the time)

Then out of nowhere they sent me a letter saying that "they werent writing policies like that anymore, and my policy is canceled".

They said it was a "commercial" truck, and wouldnt cover it anymore.

Then I wasted a bunch of money insuring the truck as a recreational vehicle through RVnet or something like that. (all I could find) And they wouldnt cover it unless I had another vehicle to show the 550 wasnt my "daily driver"

So now I had to go buy a 150 and register it, just to get insurance on the 550. (I wanted to get one anyways, this just FORCED me to.)

It was a bunch f BS.

State farm saved me over 1000 dollars a year just on the 550 policy.
- Shawn Collister #16 ATV MX -
- Tampa Florida United States of America -

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- AIS, 4" Magnaflow, scan gauge, Vegistroke V3

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto/4.56 rear- 4" MBRP, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett BB, X monitor
Tampa550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yep...and if your really stop and think about it PAYD insurance should be available across the country by now.(pay as you drive mileage based insurance) I can imagine the insurance company lobbiests are real busy these days with that issue.
A simple search on payd will give some interesting reading.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

Check with AARP-Hartford! They have incredibly low insurance rates for retired folks. I am 38, have ZERO tickets, ZERO wrecks in the past 7 or 8 years. My dad who has 1 speeding ticket pays FREAKING HALF of what I do a year on nearly identical trucks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

If that doesn't work out check with the Good Sams RV club, they can help you find insurance if your a member.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just got an 08 450, I also had to insure it as commercial, however after an hour long conversation I got them to insure it as farm use. It still covers everything a normal policy would cover except it allows you to lower the coverages. For example the original personal injury coverage was $500,000 I lowered it to the normal $25,000. With everything set up with personal policy coverages I got the yearly total down to $1,100 which is $700 less than originally quated. Hope this helps.
only1scarface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanman View Post
Check with AARP-Hartford! They have incredibly low insurance rates for retired folks. I am 38, have ZERO tickets, ZERO wrecks in the past 7 or 8 years. My dad who has 1 speeding ticket pays FREAKING HALF of what I do a year on nearly identical trucks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

If that doesn't work out check with the Good Sams RV club, they can help you find insurance if your a member.

FYI Just don’t have a claim with them or bring a 30-06 with you when you do meet the agent, because you will be dealing with the antlered end of the Elk…
rr968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.