Installing a Gooseneck Hitch - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing a Gooseneck Hitch

Is it difficult to install a gooseneck hitch? Im debating with my son whether or whether not to go ahead and install the hitch ourselves. He thinks if we have somebody cut the holes in the bed the rest will be easy. What do you guys think? Should we go ahead and install it or just pay a hitch place to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Installing a Gooseneck Hitch

what kind of hitch is it?

my B&M was not hard to install. had no help took about 3 hours.
worst part was spending the $30 for the hole saw(not to mention the hitch price).

i dont now how you and your son handle tools but if you can drill and measure the holes the hard part is over.

the whole job is not that hard.

Rob
TYMAR intake,
3" downpipe,4"exhaust
285/75 BUCKSHOT MUDDERS
B&M turnover ball
DMI quickcushion II rear bumper
DIY coolant filter
DIY bypass oil filter
DIY trans filter
deeretrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2005, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

I installed a Cody Hitch in my 2000 and a B&W in my 2005. Not real hard to do, both were about a 2-3 hour job with one assistant. Just make sure to measure twice before you drill.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Just make sure to measure twice before you drill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh boy.. Wouldent that be a horrible screw up.. measuring wrong... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
Im looking at the Drawtite Hidaway hitches
Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PSD PAC

Take a look at Diamond Hitches - I've got one on my truck and it's GREAT. Similar idea as a turn over ball, but you don't have to make a big cut in the deck. You mount the hitch similarly to other goosenecks, but the ball can be taken out of the receiver, inverted, and dropped back in the receiver where it sits flush to the bed. Then you can haul sheet goods with no problem.

If I had to do it again, I'd get another Diamond Hitch. for me it ran about $400, and a buddy installed it for a pair of Carhartts.

2000 250 PSD CC LB 3.73 4x4 6spd XLT Bright Red. Rickson 19.5s and Goodyear G124s, Performance Friction rotors and pads, GTP38R turbo, Thomas compressor with 5gal tank and 150/110 switch, Air Horns, Sony MD/6CD-MP3/XM & Components all around, Brown Bread soundproofing, USGear brake on 4" Magnaflow, ScorpionLiner, TransferFlow 30gal box, F350 springs 4" blocks and Firestone air bags rear, Rancho level kit up front, DiamondHitch gooseneck, Isspro, Husky Liners, Weather Tech, aFe ProGuard intake, Donnelley auto dimming mirror w/temp, Zerostart, Fumoto, 203 stat, Stanadyne Blue in every tank, Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS 120 with remote mount kit, 1.25kw Inverter under rear seat, Optima redtops with extra studs, Luxeon LED interior lights, Jody Tipton's 40/80/120/high idle flip chip WOOHOO!!!
PSD PAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow for 400 that better be a hell of a g/n hitch. How big of a cut does it have?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PSD PAC

The hole in the deck is probably 4" (my truck's in the shop getting a new turbo, so can't go measure). But that's the ONLY hole in the deck - and when you pull the ball out, invert it, and drop it back in, the deck is flat. It's a very unobtrusive install. You can see part of it in the rear wheel wells (as you would with most any gooseneck), but of all of them that I've seen, this is definitely my favorite.

I take that back, it's not the ONLY hole - there are 4 small holes to accommodate the retainers from your trailer. They lift out of the deck, then drop back down when not in use.

Check 'em out - www.diamondhitchinc.com. The list price has increased, but it's still worth it in my opinion.

2000 250 PSD CC LB 3.73 4x4 6spd XLT Bright Red. Rickson 19.5s and Goodyear G124s, Performance Friction rotors and pads, GTP38R turbo, Thomas compressor with 5gal tank and 150/110 switch, Air Horns, Sony MD/6CD-MP3/XM & Components all around, Brown Bread soundproofing, USGear brake on 4" Magnaflow, ScorpionLiner, TransferFlow 30gal box, F350 springs 4" blocks and Firestone air bags rear, Rancho level kit up front, DiamondHitch gooseneck, Isspro, Husky Liners, Weather Tech, aFe ProGuard intake, Donnelley auto dimming mirror w/temp, Zerostart, Fumoto, 203 stat, Stanadyne Blue in every tank, Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS 120 with remote mount kit, 1.25kw Inverter under rear seat, Optima redtops with extra studs, Luxeon LED interior lights, Jody Tipton's 40/80/120/high idle flip chip WOOHOO!!!
PSD PAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alright. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just put a B&W turnover in my truck today. It wasn't bad would have been easier with two people.

1999 F-350 4X4 Lariat CC LB SRW PSD. Other than the Tymar intake she's stock. - Traded in!
SOLD*1995 Ford F-250 4X4 SC PSD. 4" exhaust with 3" DP, Diablo Sport flip chip, isspro boost and pyro gauges, 255/85 R16 Wild Country TXR's, Tymar. 99' Intercooler and a B&W turn over gooseneck hitch. *SOLD
Brian_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

How much did your hitch cost, and how long did it take you to install?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The hole in the deck is probably 4" (my truck's in the shop getting a new turbo, so can't go measure). But that's the ONLY hole in the deck - and when you pull the ball out, invert it, and drop it back in, the deck is flat. It's a very unobtrusive install. You can see part of it in the rear wheel wells (as you would with most any gooseneck), but of all of them that I've seen, this is definitely my favorite.

I take that back, it's not the ONLY hole - there are 4 small holes to accommodate the retainers from your trailer. They lift out of the deck, then drop back down when not in use.

Check 'em out - www.diamondhitchinc.com. The list price has increased, but it's still worth it in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only advantage I see to Draw Tite is that they have a limited lifetime warrerty
Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

I installed my Reese remov-a-ball in about 4 hours. Most of that was because I'm anal about salt/water intrusion so I applied Butyl tape to all faying surfaces before bolting together, and urethane caulking to all bolt holes. Impact wrench certainly helps in getting all the big bolts snugged down.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I paid $300 for the B&W plus the $25 for the 4" hole saw. It took me about 6 hours, most of it just getting started and then having to put everything away to go do something else. It would have been easier if the underside of the truck wasn't all wet and muddy too.

1999 F-350 4X4 Lariat CC LB SRW PSD. Other than the Tymar intake she's stock. - Traded in!
SOLD*1995 Ford F-250 4X4 SC PSD. 4" exhaust with 3" DP, Diablo Sport flip chip, isspro boost and pyro gauges, 255/85 R16 Wild Country TXR's, Tymar. 99' Intercooler and a B&W turn over gooseneck hitch. *SOLD
Brian_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hehe, if it only takes 3 hrs of labor from a regular person, aint no way in hell it should take 5 hrs for a hitch place to install. They told me they was going to charge me almost 400 just to install it. They charge by the Hr and said it would about 5 hrs to do it. I guess that includes their lunch break, doughnut break, bathroom break, and lounge time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Agreed. about 2.5 hours in my driveway, on my back, by myself with the B&W. Hardest part was just getting everything aligned, tightened up, and torqued down. Scariest part was cutting that 4" hole in my new truck. No regrets though.

Mark
2004 White F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, Camper Pkg, Skid Pkg, Edge 2" Mini Spring Pack, Bilsteins, MBRP Exhaust, FluidAmpr, Elite Regulated Return (55 psi), Airdog, Weld Evo Velociti & LT285/75-16
Built: 11/03/03
4x4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.