Mobile Home Axle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mobile Home Axle

Hi everyone,

I have a little home built utility trailer I picked up for next to nothing. It has a single mobile home axle.

How much weight is the typical mobile home axle rated to carry? Or, is it too variable?

The whole trailer weighs 1,100 pounds empty.

I am getting ready to haul a bunch of landscape rock, and don't want to overload the trailer.

Thanks,

steve
Isspro EV, Overhead 3-Gauge Mount
300K and rolling right along
Ford AIS
6.0 Liter Tranmission Cooler
BoilermakerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Re: Mobile Home Axle

I can't run down anything with axle weight ratings - maybe start with the tire weight ratings?

Just a thought to give you some kind of idea.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Look at the tire ratings, the tires will be rated at or below the axle in most cases.

Mobile home axles are VERY strong.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I work for Clayton Homes, the axle we use should hold a weight for what you are wanting to do.
GTstangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

sometimes--though not always--look on the back side of the axle tube--you may find a 4 digit number stamped there--3500 or 7000-----or any number in between those two---may need a wire brush!!!!!!!
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

My dad built a little single axle dump trailer using a mobile home axle. He says to never load more than about 4 tons, and when we load it that heavy we don't get much over 45 mph or so. The limiting factor on his trailer is the suspension components, not the axle. He told me that if I try to load it that heavy and pull it very fast the suspension will not handle it, though the axle will.

Hope this helps some.
2002 7.3L PSD F-250; 4x2; Crew Cab; Short bed; 3.73; {Autometer Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost}; {Tekonsha P3}; {Updated CCV Mod at 174k}; {New Ball Joints; Tie Rod Ends; Drag links; Dieselsite Coolant Filter, billet thermostat housing, 203* thermostat; Fleetrite ELC; Bilsteins from CaryT at 126k}; {Airtex water pump; Rear pinion seal; U-joints and carrier bearing at 146k}; {Dieselsite Motor and Intercooler boots, External Trans Filter, HP Oil Xover hard line, AIH Delete with Boost mod at 158k}; {Amsoil BMK21 Bypass Filter at 174k}
rosspulliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

all of the one's that i've seen have been rated for 7,000#
<span style="color: #FF0000">#18</span> not all trucks are created equal

THE COWBOY'S CADILLAC,<span style="color: #FF0000">my pics.</span>, 96 F-350 XLT SC DRW PSD, 4x4 conversion(D60),more oil than you, auto tranny by faubion motorsports, tuned by a backwoods hack(thanks tony), 230cc injectors, D66 turbo, head studs, 910 valvesprings, open element intake, homebuilt fuel system, 3-4"DP, intercooler with homemade spider and piping, 5" chrome stacks with turnouts, front hitch(for my weight bar), member of the <span style="color: #FF0000">WNYPA</span>

on the way: more power
bullridin_fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I cant give you a number rating but I will tell you they are stout. We have a junk mobile home frame with a gooseneck welded to it for hauling round bales of hay. The frame is tweaked in every direction, the gooseneck bent, but the axles and suspension have always held. 20,000# plus would not be uncommon on 3 axles. Quite possibly the best $200 we ever spent. It does everything we would use a $5000 trailer for, just a whole lot less.

Even the tires look horroble with dry rot but always hold air. Granted we dont pull it at highway speed loaded, but I would not worry about the axle on a small trailer.

Good luck,

Jay
99 XLT,PSD,CC,SB, 4x4, Manual T-case and hubs, auto trans, 3:73 Limited slip,Straight piped, Amsoil and Dodge LS Additive in the rear, Diamond B Brush Guard, AFE MAgnum intake/Pro guard 7 filter, Isspro Gauges on A-piller, SCMT 60 or 80hp, 203 T-Stat, Billit Housing
IF YOU HAVE EATEN TODAY, THANK A FARMER!!
Jay Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.