My truck is too high for 5th wheeler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is too high for 5th wheeler

My '99 came with 4" blocks (from factory) and I removed them and put in 2" inch blocks. I got my 5th wheel out of storage last night and the front rides too high and the camper is too close to the bed of the truck. 3" and the rear of the bed.

I am getting stock size tires put on Saturday to lower it a bit. I now have 295/75r16's and will be putting on 265/75r16's. This will help a little I hope. I am also getting a 22 1/2" exteneion pin box. Right now I have the 13". This is mainly for turning, but I hope it may help by moving the trailer back a bit.

Without raising the camper, does anyone have any other tips or tricks to get the camper to ride level. Right now the camper 4 bubbles high in the front. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: My truck is too high for 5th wheeler

Hi, X-Man:
You'll get some good advice here pretty soon. Hang in there. The only thing I have ever seen done (beyond what you have already done) is to flip the axles on the 5'er. The little Dodge boys have to do this all of the time, as their bedrails are higher/deeper than our Fords - and they tend to cream their rails pretty easily if they don't flip the axles on the 5th wheels....(or, get a taller 5th wheel. Arctic Fox's are great!!)
4" LiftKit/ AirBags/ LineX /SuperChip /HPX /203*f DieselSite.com
BrakeSmart/ I/C /Amsoil 5w-30
Rear Mount ATV BedRack
DslLvrLdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is the trailer level? Most hitchs can be adjusted up and most pinboxes can be lowered or a combination of both to achieve the desired clearance. If the trailer ends up slightly nose high it will still tow ok (mine is like this). Jim
2003 28 RE Laredo 5th
wesselman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

It is 4 bubbles high in front. I don't know what each bubble relates to in inches, but it's off quite a bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have dexter axles they sell a kit to put the axles under the springs. I did this to my 5er. It raised the trailer about 5 inches and it now rides nice and level.
Denny
2009 F350 CC XLT, 4x4, LB, PSD, dually ESOF, Towboss,Highway Products 5er box, Ultimate liner, Viair 450C air compressor and 2.5 gal air tank, 2008 Honda 1800 2008 CSC trike conversion,2008 KZ Sportsmen Sporster 35PX2 , 2009 Cargo Craft 7x 14 enclosed trailer,1998 Lance Legend 500 truck camper
[
chickie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

My answer is to have your axles turned over. That will raise the 5er. 4 inches. I just bought a new Prairie Schooner 34 ft. and it is level with my truck. The 5er. has 16" wheels.
2004 F250 Lariat 6.0 SD LB SC Wedgewood Blue Build date May 2003 with latest flash 05/26/05, 4" cat back with afe proguard 7 air filter, 50 gal. transferflo with tool box & Trax Command, LineX, "Brite Box", Pyro,Boost, &Tranny Gages "piller mount", C'Betr Mirror's, Cab Fresh Cabin Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve. Superchip Programmer, Timbrens, BrakeSmart, Garmin NUVI GPS.. Other: 2005 35ft. Gulf Stream Prairie Schooner
lheebie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have an 05 sierra sport 38 ft toyhauler and I had the axles flipped and have never had anyproblems towing yet. I have a lifted truck see my sig.
2003 F250 Lariat sd cc 4x4 7.3 long bed,4.10 srw,Edge Juice w/Attitude,AIS Intake w/mod,Zoodad,magnefine trans filter,trumax cooler,autometer tt,4" exhaust,4" DP,airbags,coolant filter,Banks Big Head Act.,Banks Compressor Wheel,fomoto drain valve,Racor 3550 ccv,Amzoil dual bypass with pre-oiler,Amzoil fluids for all,Brakesmart,8" Fabtech lift,37x17 parneli's on helo max rims,Fabtech Full floating traction bars,Rough country dual steering stabilizer,16k 5th wheel hitch,Billet grill,Line-x,Gaylord FG bed cover, Complete alpine dvd,nav,cd pushing 1750 watts!
my truck pics http://community.webshots.com/user/trxjunkie
hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

X-man,

I have an '03 Trail-lite and it has "torsion axles". I had to have the company send me a lift kit(4") and the dealer put it on. My truck is stock and you can see in the picture that it is a much better fit, now!

Buffalogun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

04/04 F250 SC LongBed 4X4 Lariat, 6.0L/Torq, 3.73LS, FX4, Camper Pkg, ESOF, 15K.Hitch Receiver, 6-disc/CD, Heated Seats, TT Powr Mirrors, Ext. color-<font color="330099">True Blue</font>/<font color="996600">Arizona Beige</font>.
Truck born 10/03, Engine born 10/03/03 Engine has the "<font color="330099">BLUE</font>" sticker!
Pulling a 2003 26' Traillite Fifthwheel!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
<font color="0000FF">My Trucks</font>

Buffalogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.