Need a 5th Wheel Hitch for a Short Bed - Slider or Fixed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a 5th Wheel Hitch for a Short Bed - Slider or Fixed

We are buying a new 5th wheel camper and I need to buy and install a 5th wheel hithc in my 2000 CC short bed F-250. Do I need the slider or will a standard fixed hitch be just fine? I have towed a travel trailer before but never a 5th wheel. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need a 5th Wheel Hitch for a Short Bed - Slider or Fixed

[ QUOTE ]
We are buying a new 5th wheel camper and I need to buy and install a 5th wheel hithc in my 2000 CC short bed F-250. Do I need the slider or will a standard fixed hitch be just fine? I have towed a travel trailer before but never a 5th wheel. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is: It depends!

Are you comfortable with the knowledge that without an automatic slider you have the possibility of hitting the cab of the truck with the trailer? Sort of like what happens if you back up too tight with a travel trailer except with a fiver you can look out your side/rear window and see it happen.
SteveHeywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Depends on the 5th wheel - a few are built with cut corners so that you can turn a bit sharper with a short-box but you really want to at least get a manual slider for those tight situations. A fully automatic one is quite expensive but a lot of people swear by them. A manual one will give you that extra bit in case you ever need it (but remember to slide it back BEFORE you get into a tight situation).

2003 F250 4X4 Lariat FX4 Supercab SB 6.0/Auto
2006 Keystone Cougar 276EFS 5th Wheel

2012 Mustang 3.7 Premium Pony Package
Penhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Note what Penhall said. My Montana 5'ver has rounded corners on the front and I pulled it with a non-slider hitch (I threw the slider away because I could not get it to work easily)for 5 years with a short-bed F-250. I never had any problems, but I watched closely when turning and backing.

My bro-in-law has a Cardinal 5'ver, same length as mine, but it has square corners in the front. He left a rear window in Salinas, Kansas, when he turned too tightly into a fuel pump.

I don't have a lot good to say about the sliders. I had two.... made the dealer change out my first Reese for one with the rollers... but it didn't help. I threw the slider mechanism away and bought a couple of bows from a U-Haul hitch place and went slider-less.

There's some new, very expensive models on the market, but seems a waste of money. Just my 2 cents.

Florida Ed

2001 7.3 F-350 Dually Lariat CC LWB 4X2 Dark Green 4.10 4R100 5'ver Hauler (32' Montana 2 slides 10,500# - 2,000# tongue weight), 106 gal aux tank, 198K miles, nephews arguing over who will inherit it 'cause I'm gonna' drive it 'til I die. Bone stock.

SOLD 2001 5.4 Gasser F-250 XLT Crewcab SWB 4X2 3.73 4R100 98K miles headed to 150K stock as the day it was made

Before these: '00 F-250 CC PSD, '97 F-250 CC PSD, '94 Ford F-150, '91 Ford E-250, '81 Ford E-150, '66 Ford F-100 (cars not included)
FloridaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have towed with a superglide auto sliding hitch for a while. i had an 04 cc s/b and pulled a 32 ft carriage cameo lxi, 12.5 K. The slider paid for itself several times over and never having to worry about hitting the window was great. I had the under the bed mount, remove hitch, 4 pins and the box was completely empty, just had 4 1 1/2 inch holes for where the pins went through. I have one for sale, pm me if interested.

2004 F-250,CC,SB,FX4,LARIAT,FIRESTONE AIR SUSPENSION AFT, TRIPLE PILAR MOUNT GAGES, LOW PROFILE COMBINED TOOL/FUEL BOX, SUPERGLIDE UNDER BODY MOUNT AUTO SLIDE 16k HITCH

Truck GONE, red oak used it as a bed!!!

IF IT WAS EASY...ANYONE COULD DO IT!
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't trust sliders either. Had one slide on me at low speed once. Threw away the slider (as well as the shorts I was wearing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) I believe reese redesigned their slider a couple of years ago, maybe they are more reliable now. I know others will disagree. Just my .02
Old 04-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you have a tight spot at home, or ever need to turn really sharp you will need a slider. I put a reese 16 K 4 way pivot slider in mine. Big bucks, but slider function is a piece of junk. Wish I'de forked over the 2,400 bucks for the superglide that automatically slides (because of gears within that force it back).

If I turn really sharp with my 250 short bed, the fifth wheel will hit my cab. I have to first get out and slide this hitch back. Sometimes it takes four or five attempts to get it to lock in place.

However, after three camp trips, I've never had to fool with it out at the campsites, I just have a real tight place to park at my house.

Also, if you need to mount a plug, may I suggest placing the receptacle on the FRONT of the wheel well where it's easier to access without reaching between the bed and fifth wheel. Another lesson learned.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

Get the slider, If you ever get into a tight spot or hook up to another 5th wheel you might need it. It is a great backup to have and a real pain if you don't. Do a search on google and figure out how much the rear window and cab repair costs.
DENNY
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lots of good replies here. Do a test run backing up your trailer and watch how close to your window the corners of the trailer come (some factors like pin box length and roundness of corners will affect this). Trust me, somewhere in the time you pull your fiver, a situation will come up where you will have to have your truck almost at a 90 degree angle to the trailer. A manual slider will allow you to do this. Also varying terrain will close that gap between the window and trailer way too quickly. My brother has a manual slide and he has used it a ferw times. I bought a used Superglide that was just like new but havent installed it yet.
Dark Stone Metallic / Pueblo gold
Readylift 3.5" levelling kit
... Toyo MT 315/70/18(bigger than 35-12.50-18)

----- --- BIG$HOW -------<տլ
Bigshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

I decided to go ahead and pony up for the super glide. I am new to pulling a 5th wheel, and most of the time I arrive at the campsite after dark. Trying to get into a tight spot in the dark is stressful enough without adding the additional concern of knocking out my rear window. I think that factor alone made the hitch worth the money. BTW I have been in several campsites where I needed to get the truck and trailer 80 degrees or more to get it into the spot. Dam Texas state parks have very small drives and usually a culvert on each side. DOH!!!

I did have my trailer impact the bed when I got into a particularly bad situation.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have a 16k Reese with the slider unit and I use it(slider feature) all the time when I go to state parks or up hunting in the mountains, come to think of it I have only been to a real campground once. It is about five years old and I have never had a problem with it and all I do is cover it up when I'm not using it and before each season I spray the rollers with a little chain lube, its the same stuff I use on our dirtbike chains and no it does not make a mess. Good Luck

Frank
1997 F-250 H.D 4X4 CREW CAB SHORT BED, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, 16K REESE, 3:55, Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges, tri pillar, 11\16\05 BDP STAGE 1 INJECTORS, TS 6 POSITION CHIP, TYMAR INTAKE 3/27/06 B.T.S. , SIRIUS RADIO, BDP IDM, 4" 350 BLOCKS,160,000 SP Exhaust Brake, 7/4/07 6.0 Intercooler, 7/29/07 Blackbirds Customs rear disc 9/11/07 King Pin Dana 60, SKY 3" RSK, V code 5200 lbs SD springs, 10/17/07 Pro Comp Xtreme's 315x75x16 on Pro Comp 1059's 8"x16" 1/27/08 DIY Fuel System, Running on DSE since March 2008
2004 Pitbull Motorsports rigid chopper...Traded on 2010 F-250 5/30/14
121 TP 130rwh 250 avon
04 CRF250 mine....Gone
02 CR80 sons...Gone
03 XR100 daughters..Gone
425 Polaris magnum
500 Polaris sportsman and 300 lakota everyone
2011 Cougar 325 SRX Toyhauler
2010 F-250 4 door 6.4 with all the fixins
DIESELDUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 16k Reese with the slider unit and I use it(slider feature) all the time when I go to state parks or up hunting in the mountains, come to think of it I have only been to a real campground once. It is about five years old and I have never had a problem with it and all I do is cover it up when I'm not using it and before each season I spray the rollers with a little chain lube, its the same stuff I use on our dirtbike chains and no it does not make a mess. Good Luck

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]
With the Reese do you have to take the load off the hitch with the landing gear before you slide it back?
Saskford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

[ QUOTE ]
With the Reese do you have to take the load off the hitch with the landing gear before you slide it back?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you just lock your trailer brakes after releasing the locking mechanism on the hitch and move the truck the direction you want the hitch to move. Mine works great.
However, I seldom need to use it.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you just lock your trailer brakes after releasing the locking mechanism on the hitch and move the truck the direction you want the hitch to move. Mine works great.
However, I seldom need to use it.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

You must have a newer version as I have that same hitch and I have to drop the trailer legs and take some weight off before my hitch will move. Dunno but maybe pin weight makes a difference... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

You can have my 6 speed when you pry my cold dead fingers from it! or if I get an 08!

Picked up on 2/18 - "04" F350, Crew Cab, 4X4 SRW Lariat PSD 6.0 w/ 6 spd w/ Momo shift knob, BD Power short shifter, Prodigy brake controller, Wedgewood Blue/Arizona Beige w/ all the factory goodies. TRUCK IS FOR SALE.

Truck Pics
navyldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Measure from the front of the trailer to the back of the truck cab when hooked up, it must measure 54" or you will crash your cab and trailer on short turns. Some 5th wheelers have an extended tongue on them for short beds. Also have at least 5" clearance from your bed rails to the bottom of trailer. You can bend the box rails turning into some service stations, restaurants and the like. If you don't have that clearance an automatic slider that will slide while towing and turning is the thing, awfully expensive around $2500. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.