Pulling a bumper pull travel trailer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Pulling a bumper pull travel trailer

See truck in sig. Question is, will I have any trouble pulling a bumper pull travel trailer (24 ft) with a lifted truck? Will stabilizer bars work, or do I pull without them?

Old - 2005 F-250 6.0L,FX4,CC,SB,Dark Shadow Grey,2" lift, 35x12.5R17 TOYO M/T's on stock wheels,Cab steps,TOFF Bedliner,Sirius,60w Infinity Reference Speakers,40w x 4 Alpine Amp,Access Rollup bedcover,ID SCT Extreme Street tune,RanchHand Legend replacement bumper,WetOkole seat covers
joerendon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

You'll be fine with just 2' of lift. If it's a low slung trailer you might need a sizeable drop for the hitch head (I think most people call them Hi-Lo shanks). Stabilizers will work as long as you get the head low enough so the trailer is towed level. Then just the normal set up procedure for a WD system.
'05 F-250 XLT 6.0 auto CC/SB 4x4 ESOF riding on BFG Rugged Trail's. Bone stock 'cept for the Sirius radio and tonneau cover 82k miles. Turbo replaced during previous ownership. HPOP fitting let loose, recall at 75k.
joshb159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. So, I don't really need the stabilizer bars to tow the trailer?

Old - 2005 F-250 6.0L,FX4,CC,SB,Dark Shadow Grey,2" lift, 35x12.5R17 TOYO M/T's on stock wheels,Cab steps,TOFF Bedliner,Sirius,60w Infinity Reference Speakers,40w x 4 Alpine Amp,Access Rollup bedcover,ID SCT Extreme Street tune,RanchHand Legend replacement bumper,WetOkole seat covers
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess there needs to be some clarification here... Equalizers are the spring bars that transfer weight off the hitch. Stabilizers are meant to keep sway from happening (friction type). Most new designs (reese dual cam, etc) are one in the same (equalizing while stabilizing without the added friction piece). Do you need equalizers/stabilizers? How heavy is the trailer? How much stuff are you going to pack into it? How much misc. junk is going to be in the bed of the truck? What is the Load Rating on your tires? Or you could give it a test drive and see what happens. I'd be inclined to throw some sort of equalizing at least. Makes for a smoother less bouncy ride.
'05 F-250 XLT 6.0 auto CC/SB 4x4 ESOF riding on BFG Rugged Trail's. Bone stock 'cept for the Sirius radio and tonneau cover 82k miles. Turbo replaced during previous ownership. HPOP fitting let loose, recall at 75k.
joshb159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gotcha. Truck will not be loaded, and I have plenty of carrying capacity on the tires. Not sure what is weight of trailer, but it will be empty. I am just hauling it about 175 miles from San Antonio to a deer camp near Bracketville. As long as I take it easy, I think I shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

24 feet should be a light trailer - no need of weight distribution on the hitch, you probably won't even know it's back there.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
I agree 100%.
I used to tow a 28ft TT with my '01 that had an 8" lift. No equalizer. No problemo.

Mark

Pulling a 2010 Sierra 355QBQ 5er

Sold- '08 F-350 - pic

Sold - '01 F-350 - pic
MDarrough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I always use weight distribution bars and a stabilizer bar if I am gonna tow a large bumper pull trailer any distance over a few miles. Are they needed? Maybe, maybe not, but the truck drives soo much better with them.
Ford Severe Duty AIS intake with fender sleve
AFE Torque Booster tube
modified IDM
ITP overboost eliminator
Beans Stage 2 split shots
AIH delete
Firestone 5,000lb air bags in the rear
leveling kit up front custom built from OEM Ford springs instead of buying aftermarket stuff
FORD ball joints modified to be greasable instead of using aftermarket stuff
clear turn signals and brake lights

IF YOU ARE GONNA MOD. IT BEFORE 100K DON'T CRY WHEN A REP. FROM FORD OR INTERNATIONAL VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY
marksuttonjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I have a 24 ft TT and I just hook it up and plug in the lights/brakes. Never used any equalizer, etc and no problems with sway, etc. I think you'll be fine.
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your responses.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

The "lift" doesn't really make much difference, per se, but the bigger tires gear you up, and the wider sidewalls make for more "squirm", which can amplify sway. If the trailer's light enough you can stay within your tongue weight ratings without an equalizer, you should be in pretty good shape, assuming you're sprung pretty stiff. Lift kits can vary - some are sprung pretty soft for flex, so if you get much sag, you might need the equalizers to level everything out and keep your geometry correct. They also keep your front tires a little more firmly planted (BP's lever the front of the vehicle up a certain amount, so you end up with LESS weight on the front axle than when empty, but probably not much in your case), and that can be important with big tires, also.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
First thing to do is to loose the lift and go back to stock heights. Towing anything is basically unstable and the lift makes the truck less stable due to the higher center of gravity.

Next use a weight distributing hitch with sway control. With your truck (at stock height) and the 24' TT, a friction type will most likely do fine. A Reese Dual Cam would be a better hitch.

Ken
Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

You aren't really going to 'bumper pull' a 24ft travel trailer, are you? What you 'can' do and what you 'should' do are obviously at odds. 'Tag' trailers are highly susceptible to sway. If you're not going far or very fast, you can probably get away with it. 12- 15% tongue weight will help maintain stability.

A weight distributing hitch is not too expensive. What is your aversion to using one?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

There is no aversion to one. I am doing this as a favor. I thought that I would not be able to use the "sway bars" or equalizer or whatever since I am lifted. From what I have seen, the "sway bar" plugs into the hitch receptacle, then the trailer locks onto the ball that is part of the anti sway equalizer assembly. Again, since I am lifted, I didn't think the geometry would let me use the anti-sway bars

Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I pulled my 30 ft Jayco loaded at about 8300 lbs from Anchorage, Alaska down to Beaumont, Texas......with a 6" lift and 37" tires.(no, I didn't regear! 3.73!!) I used a 12" drop shank to mount my ball platform on and hooked the trailer up like you would on a regular truck.
Ran about 80-90mph the whole way. Truck didn't feel "unstable" or "unsafe" as someone previously said, even on hairpin mountain roads and gravel highways, or in high wind areas of Wyoming. Sorry but I get pissed when people assume that just because you lift your truck that it becomes a useless vehicle.
*16x10 Outlaw II's(not my favorite rim),
*Warn Hubs
*203 degree T-Stat
*lotsa lights
*Tymar HX hose
*Dual 5 inch stacks
*Tymar Intake
*Isspro guages and color matched triple pod
*Fresh beefed up 4r100 from Greene @ Quality Trans. in Anchorage Alaska
*TS 6 pos chip-no start, high idle, 50, 75, Fuel 7, 140 xtreme....
*Tymar coolant filter kit
*6.uh oh Intercooler
*Firestone RideRite 5,000lbs bags

Next on the list: Stage 1 or 2 injectors, BIG OIL
dslfumes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.