Ramifications of Towing Overloaded - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ramifications of Towing Overloaded

What are the ramifications of towing 'overloaded'. Mostly concerned about being over the GVWR, and not the axle ratings. Here is the scenario:

I have a 4x4 diesel Excursion. The GVWR is 9200 lbs. With a full tank of fuel, but otherwise empty, the Excursion comes in at 8300 lbs. Six passengers & minimal luggage and I'm at GVRRW w/ nothing left for for pin weight when pulling a trailer. I don't believe that the situation is any different for a F250 w/ diesel & 4x4.

What are the options for pulling legally? I don't think that I'm anyware close to the axle ratings, and certainly not the tire ratings. I could add helper springs, but that still would not change the door sticker.

So, what are the ramifications if I am 'overweight'. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this dilema. BTW, I want to get a 29' TT w/ one slide next year, and would use a weight distributing hitch, anti-sway, etc. to be safe, but know that I will be 'illegal'.
Mark Hodowanec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ramifications of Towing Overloaded

Mostly insurance problems and possible lawsuits in the event you cause an accident or the such.

In todays world I would not chance it but that is just me.

Are you sure your GVWR is that low on an X? I don't think mine is that low but I could be wrong. Been a few years since I looked.

Thought is was more like 10.5K
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

"I don't believe that the situation is any different for a F250 w/ diesel & 4x4."

With both tanks full and me sitting in the truck, I'm at 6,900'.
I have a CC 4X4. Weight was checked at a set of CAT scales. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed. CD Changer
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod was installed. Replaced with Swamps HV/HF IDM! Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

the rig in my sig weighs 7700 pounds with fuel and my 5er hitch with no tailgate

front axle 4560
rear axle 3140

sorry can't help with the excursion though
Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
the rig in my sig weighs 7700 pounds with fuel and my 5er hitch with no tailgate

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently I'm wrong on the F250 weight. I will get my Excursion reweight as it's been a couple of years & I working of of memory (or maybe my Ex lost some weight). I'm pretty sure that it will be 83oo lbs. though.
Mark Hodowanec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

My X was at 8200 lbs. with fuel and driver. That leaves only 1000lbs for passengers, gear and tongue weight. I am usually at about 10,500 GVW when loaded up with family, boat and camping gear.
jward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

"Mostly insurance problems and possible lawsuits in the event you cause an accident or the such."

Insurance companies pay to the policies limits and no one has ever been sued for being over the GVWR or the GCVWR.

VA. *may* require you to register your rig for the max amount you expect to haul or *may* only require you to register for what the Ex will weigh loaded. It's all a money thing dispite what people want to think about it being safty related.
Ask your DMV if you need weight rated plates for your passenger car to pull a trailer in your state. If not... you are legal with what you have. I don't think you will need anything other then what you have now. If you do... Please come back here & tell us.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

I don't know about your state but in Indiana I get the impression that if you have licensed your vehicles to the appropriate level of weight (paid the taxes) you won't have any issues with the state authorities. For example you can legally license your X for 7000lbs if you're just using it for transportation, but you don't want to be pulling a trailer with that weight catagory plate.

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just went to the VA DMV web site & it says that the 1997 Ford Expidition that Ford recomends that I don't load to over 7200 pounds can be loaded to 40,000 pounds BEFORE I need to purchas an overweight permit.
I really don't think I need to worry about the permit, the truck will break something long before I get to 40,000 pounds.

"When is a Hauling Permit Required?
If your vehicle configuration is reduced to its smallest dimensions possible and still exceeds the maximum limitations identified below, you must obtain a hauling permit prior to traveling over Virginia's highways.

Height 13" 6'
Width 8" 6'
Length 40' - Motorized Vehicle other than Buses or Motor Homes
48' - Trailer (53' trailers allowed on interstate system)
65' - Vehicle/Trailer Combination
Overhang 4' - Rear 3' - Front
Weight 20,000 - Single Axle
34,000 - Tandem Axle "

Fords recomendations have NOTHING to do with being "LEGAL" in VA.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

In my youth, I had a supervisor that was having a blacktop driveway installed and was giving away the crushed stone that was being removed. My Dad said he'd like to have it and gave me his '71 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed p/u to go pick it up. I hand-shoveled the bed full to the top of the p/u sides. The truck was still sitting nice as I left for home about 30 miles away.

Talk about ramifications, by the time I got home the bump pad brackets on the frame for the overload springs had bent upward allowing the overload springs to quit carrying any weight. As the rear sagged the weight transfer lightened the front end stretching the powersteering hose pulling it up against the exhaust pipe, that melted a hole in the hose loosing all the power steering fluid. After the truck was unloaded the sheet metal bed had sagged alot between the bed support braces.

A new p/s hose and overload bump pad brackets put the truck back almost as good as before but the bed kept its sagging floor panels just as a reminder of the experience for the rest of the trucks life.
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Don't really know if the penalty is as severe for non-commericial, but a business associate of mine just received a $3,400 ticket for being overwieght. He was only 4200lbs over his GCVWR. What a Bi***!

FYI. He owns a landscaping supply business.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

After the truck was unloaded the sheet metal bed had sagged alot between the bed support braces.

thats what my bed looks like when I got it plus the top of the sides were all bent down too straightened the sides but don't see a way to fix the bed bottom other than a liner or replace bed
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Don't really know if the penalty is as severe for non-commericial, but a business associate of mine just received a $3,400 ticket for being overwieght. He was only 4200lbs over his GCVWR. What a Bi***!

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say he was 4200 pounds over his GCVWR, is that over the "Recommended" GCVWR published by Ford or the weight he had it registered with the state for?
What was his registered weight?
What state was this?
Would you PLEASE get the court information & the date this happened so it can be verified as the FIRST PR OVEN example of FORDS numbers being used to ticket someone.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Leader,

The truck was a GMC 7500 and he had a 12,000lb trailer on it. The truck had a load of crushed limestone (used for base) and a couple of pallets of pavers on the trailer.

Sorry if I mislead you, I thought you were asking about any overweight vehicle.

This was in Connecticut about 4 weeks ago.

I still think that was a rather heafty fine!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 4200lbs over his GCVWR....

And he does not see a problem with this...?

Purchased a 2007 Dodge, ThunderRoad Edition, QC, 4x4, 5.7L HEMI on 11/30/07.
Traded in my Travel Trailer for it, so no need for a Diesel.

2003 EB Expedition 5.4L

2006 F350 Lariat, 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab, FX4, 4x4 PURCHASED BACK BY FORD! on 8/28/07.
07HEMI4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.