Tekonsha P3 wiring harness / interface with FORD harness - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tekonsha P3 wiring harness / interface with FORD harness

I just bought a P3 and it has a harness in the box that plugs into the controller and the other end just has the loose wire ends. My truck came with a harness that plugs in somewhere on the truck (I have to read instructions on that) with loose wire ends as well? Is there a harness that would plug at each end and eliminate the wire connecting? Its the 2003 truck in my signature.
Dark Stone Metallic / Pueblo gold
Readylift 3.5" levelling kit
... Toyo MT 315/70/18(bigger than 35-12.50-18)

----- --- BIG$HOW -------<տլ
Bigshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Hello, The 2003 Super Duty has a plug under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel, that the controller plugs in to. You'll need to take that access cover off under your steering wheel to see it. Look to the right in that opening. The Tekonsha Prodigy's I've purchased had instructions on how to connect their connector to the factory ford connector (loose wires to loose wires), however, you can purchase a custom pre-made harness for your truck that is plug-and-play. I've seen them on Ebay and E-trailer for not a lot of $$'s.

Tom

Previous Trucks:

- 1986 F-250 RC/LB XL 4x4 6.9l (Sold)
- 2004 F350 CC/LB DRW KR 4x4 6.0l (Totaled)
- 2000 F250 SC/SB XLT 4x4 7.3l (Sold)
- 2006 F250 CC/SB Lariat 4x4 6.0l (Stolen)
- 2003 F250 CC/SB XLT 4x4 6.0l (Sold)
- 1969 F100 RC/LB XL 4x4 360ci (Sold)
troy520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy520 View Post
Hello, The 2003 Super Duty has a plug under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel, that the controller plugs in to. You'll need to take that access cover off under your steering wheel to see it. Look to the right in that opening. The Tekonsha Prodigy's I've purchased had instructions on how to connect their connector to the factory ford connector (loose wires to loose wires), however, you can purchase a custom pre-made harness for your truck that is plug-and-play. I've seen them on Ebay and E-trailer for not a lot of $$'s.

Tom
Yeah, don't mess with the loose wires, just get the converter plug. It maeks it a "plug and play" process.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

E-trailer.com
Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

etrailers shows the bare pigtails that come with the trucks already.

Tekonsha open the pdf. It shows complete adapters. It looks like it may be the 3035P, although it say's "excludes Super Duty". Looks like it may mean the 2008 SD, as another p/n includes the 2008.

Take Care
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy520 View Post

Tom
I'm having trouble finding this plug. I have a lot of aux equipment hooked up (plow wiring, switches, radio) and more wiring to look thru. Anybody of a pic of there plug?

Thanks in advanced.

69 Hugger Orange Z-28 / M-20 / 4:10 - Now sporting a SBC 406 472HP@ 5600 RPM, 492# Torque @ 4400 RPM. CC Solid Roller Cam / CC Roller Rockers / Brodix IK 200 heads / Edlebrock Perfomer Air Gap / Demon 750 Carb

Original 302 DZ motor has been put away for safe keeping-&gt; From me!
satz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Here's a thread I started asking the same question a while back...

Here's the link to some pictures from that thread that helped me...

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
I'm having trouble finding this plug. I have a lot of aux equipment hooked up (plow wiring, switches, radio) and more wiring to look thru. Anybody of a pic of there plug?

Thanks in advanced.
I just installed a P3 on my 03. I assume you bought the P# adapter harness to make it 'Plug n' Play'? As said above the OE plug is to the right of all the electronics under that removable cover. You can see it through the opening in the brace and it's under the right side of the radio area in the last photo linked above. Prodigy wiring attachment pictures from trucks photos on webshots

The plug is a 6-pin and is gray and it's also the only empty 6-pin under the dash. I routed the wires from above the connector and not through the opening in the brace. I had to make a special plate to mount mine so it didn't stick out so far and sat relatively level. The P3 works great, you'll love it.

02 F150 XLT Super Cab-135K
07 Toyota Highlander-35K
2Tight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, there is a harness with a plug on both ends matching the controller and your truck.

Normally you would connect the loose ends of the 2 connectors together per the diagrams provided by your truck and the brake controller.

Here is a link to lots of online stores and brake/harness links too.

Ford Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control - 3035 << from RVW not sure whos part number this is but might help.

Collection of links related to RVing

2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, SOF Auto, Alum Wheels, DP-Tuner 40/80/120HP, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift 5000 Airbags, DiPricol gauges

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-31-2009 at 11:56 AM.
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tight View Post
I just installed a P3 on my 03. I assume you bought the P# adapter harness to make it 'Plug n' Play'? As said above the OE plug is to the right of all the electronics under that removable cover. You can see it through the opening in the brace and it's under the right side of the radio area in the last photo linked above. Prodigy wiring attachment pictures from trucks photos on webshots

The plug is a 6-pin and is gray and it's also the only empty 6-pin under the dash. I routed the wires from above the connector and not through the opening in the brace. I had to make a special plate to mount mine so it didn't stick out so far and sat relatively level. The P3 works great, you'll love it.
yes I bought the adapter.

Thanks to all for the info.

69 Hugger Orange Z-28 / M-20 / 4:10 - Now sporting a SBC 406 472HP@ 5600 RPM, 492# Torque @ 4400 RPM. CC Solid Roller Cam / CC Roller Rockers / Brodix IK 200 heads / Edlebrock Perfomer Air Gap / Demon 750 Carb

Original 302 DZ motor has been put away for safe keeping-&gt; From me!
satz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.