The Diesel Stop banner

Timbren or Ride Rite

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  favarcat 
#1 ·
Picked up my new 5th wheel last week. The salesman said it was riding fine, but the pin weight caused the bed to sag to the point where it just contacted the rear of the top (overload?) spring. Aprox 2 1/2 inches. Smokey previously recommended the firestone ride rite bags, but I've done some reading about the timbrens. Anybody have any experience with these? Any opinion which is better? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have the Ride Rites and like them a lot. I have been able to adjust them as needed with different 5th wheels I have owned.
I am getting concerned about dry rot and the chance that they will blow or leak and leave me stranded.
I dont have overload springs as you do, but it sounds like yours are doing what they are suppossed to do. They stay out of the way untill needed.

#4 ·
You can't go wrong with Timbrens. There is nothing to break, and they don't wear out! My 1st set is still going strong after 12 years, and now on the 3rd truck. LS

#5 ·
Do a search, this has been discussed many times.

Timbrens are great, you don't have to adjust anything, But they are only good for what you adjust them for (eg. your 5th). I understand the timbrens ride harsh, as they are just a bump stop.

I prefer the air bags as I can customize the ride, level/adjust the height of truck, for any and all towed trailers or hauling anything in the bed. I also still have the overload springs if a bag should fail.

I boils down to personal prefrance, and what you want. Both work well.

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Timbrens are great, you don't have to adjust anything, But they are only good for what you adjust them for (eg. your 5th). I understand the timbrens ride harsh, as they are just a bump stop.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif you don't have to adjust anything, But they are only good for what you adjust them for (eg. your 5th). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
There is no adjusting to them, empty, they ride totaly stock, THEY DO NOT Contact the springs while empty. Loaded they are MORE Than just a "Bump stop" they provide cushioning and will compress for "Spring" action.
Loaded my Timbrens ride great.
So you are right, it is personal preference. There is no "Custom tuning" for them like bags, and ya don't need that most times I doubt.
This load was 25,760 lbs gross. Rear drive axle was 6900 lbs. See how level it sits still? And the ride loaded like that is just fine!
Better than stock really... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#8 ·
You would still have to set up the Timbrens with at least 1" of space unloaded to avoid a bumpy ride. But it's less than 2.5".

The upside of airbags is that you can keep the exact same ride height loaded and unloaded. The downside of course is the cost and increased installation and operation complexity.

#9 ·
The easiest to install is the <font color="blue"> Super Springs. </font>

Shawn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#10 ·
I've had both and will not go back to timbrens. IMO, they right horribly and instead of a cushion while hauling it makes the rearend feel pre-loaded.

A quick note about the RideRite kit, I have them on my 06 F-350, my truck is on the 'high' setting (riderite has 3 different height settings, low 0", med 2" and high 4"). The only piece that was in contact with the axle is a curved piece that is roughly 3" long x 1/4" wide. I bent the hell out of both of these and am redesigning the bracket so it has a much wider contact area and it will more closely resemble the kit I have on my Dodge that is secured around the axle and doesn't ride just on top.

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I put these on my 06. I went in to buy air bags and the dealer talked me into buying these. I wish I would have bought the air bags instead. The supersprings are easy and quick to install but I feel like the air bags would have been a better choice for pulling my travel trailer.

#12 ·
I recently installed the Timbrens on my truck. There is absolutely no difference in the unloaded ride. I haven't really had a chance to put them to work yet. I did lower the LQ horse trailer onto the truck after installing them. Prior to the Timbrens, I was squatting more than 4" measured from the center of the rear tire to the top of the bedrail. With the Timbrens, I squat about 1.25"

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I put these on my 06. I went in to buy air bags and the dealer talked me into buying these. I wish I would have bought the air bags instead. The supersprings are easy and quick to install but I feel like the air bags would have been a better choice for pulling my travel trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like they say,"To each his own." I have never had the air bags so I can only state my observations from friends owning them. They can be a real pain in the arse to install and at times they can be problematic.

The Super Springs were perfect for me. You just install them and forget them. You can even do the install without removing the tire. No piddling with air pressures. No worry that the bags may leak. Never have to face the possibility that the air bags could burst when they get some age on them. They do not affect the ride quality empty or loaded. And when loaded, they keep the squat out of the rear of the truck even when loaded heavy.

Thank goodness we at least have choices and that you can gleam information from this site and help contribute to the OP questions so they make an informed decision.

Shawn/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#14 ·
I have had both and will definitely buy timbrens again over air bags. The ride is better loaded and the same empty . For the first inch or so of suspension travel they do nothing since they don't touch until that inch of travel is taken up. Then they start out soft and as the load increases the resistance to compression increases. They really stabilize the ride, reducing sway and oscillation more so than air bags. My last truck with timbrens and no overloads did better than my new truck with heavier springs and factory overloads. I will be installing timbrens on the new truck soon.

#15 ·
I used Timbrens on my 01 F350 and they worked great for our slide-in camper. Our camper has a slide on one side and is heavier on that side. I now have a 2006 F350 and am going to try the ride-rites so I can level the load from side to side. I will be selling the timbrens if anyone is interested. Fits '99-'04.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.