Towing capacity - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing capacity

I have a 1995 F-350 Crew Cab Dualie with the 7.3 power stroke. It is a 5 spd manual. 4.10 gears. I checked the owners manual and it say that the trailer towing capacity is only 10100# but if I had an automatic in would be 12500#. I can't believe there is that much difference between the two. Any and all help would be appreciated.
rockinthe4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the 1995 auto had a 20000 gcw, and the stick was at 17000 lbs. I looked at the owners manual of a 97 the other day, and the stick and auto were both the same. Im not sure if there were any changes to the trans between 95 -97. If there wasnt any changes you would be fine using the auto's tow rating
Old 10-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx tanbuddy! Anyone one else?!?!?!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
do some research on this message board, there have been lots of people that have pulled 20K plus with these old fords, just start out slow and break early, These trucks are more than capable of pulling 20k, the ratings are underrated for liability and wear and tear issues. Follow the laws but realize you can hook up and pull just about anything out there
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mazda M5OD-R2 = torque 330-500?
M5HD = Torque 400-450
Ford 4R100 = Torque 740

Last edited by BCooke; 10-07-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Keyboard error missed 4 n 4R100
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
I can't believe there is that much difference between the two. Any and all help would be appreciated.
According to Ford years ago, they erred on the safe side. Since they have no control over clutch abuse when towing a heavy load they rated the manual trans gcwr lower.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
rockinthe4banger -

I suspect you're misreading the Owner's Guide. The numbers you quoted are for the 460 V8 gasser. For my '99.5, the GCWR and tow ratings for 7.3L engine were not included in the Owner's Guide, but they were included in the PowerStroke supplement.

The '95 thru '97 trucks with PowerStroke 7.3L engines should have the same towing capability. The '97 specs in the '97 Trailer Towing Guide say 20k GCWR for diesel engine and 4.10 ratio, for both the stick shifter and the automagic slush box. And the "tow rating" with 4.10 ratio is 13,400 with 4x4 or 13,800 with 4x2, regardless of tranny. I'll bet the PowerStroke Supplement for your '95 says the same thing.

Your comments are valid for the trucks with 460 gas engine. Maybe Ford put a heavier-duty clutch in the hand-shaker trucks with diesel engine?

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 10-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smokey,

You are correct, I was looking at the 7.5 ltr numbers because I could not find ANYTHING for the 7.3 diesel in the owners manual. Even in my Powerstroke supplement book, nothing about towing. I did speak with Believer45 who sent me the 1995 Recreational Towing Guide. The manual trans went from 10100# to 10700# but the auto was still at 12500#. I did run into an old Ford Mechanic who is a guru with ANYTHING Ford. I asked him about the poundage difference. He said the only thing he could think of as to why the auto podage would be more than the manual poundage is the clutch being the "weak" point. He said if I was going up hill or starting off pulling a heavy trailer and shifted the torque on the springs on the clutch would be HUGE. If I abused it shifting I could/would prematurally wear the clutch. We both agreed the clutch was cheaper then a new auto transmission. Just my two cent on what I found out.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ford F-Series Fifth-Wheel Trailer Towing Selector
here are all the numbers for 95 trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.