Towing capacity - F250-4x4-7.3 powerstroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing capacity - F250-4x4-7.3 powerstroke

I just recently purchased a f250 Heavy Duty 4x4 truck with the 7.3 liter motor. This is going to be a work truck but I need to know what does Ford say about the towing capacity for this truck?

I need to tow a 13k trailer, can this truck do it?

Thanks in advance.

GB
Greenbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Towing capacity - F250-4x4-7.3 powerstroke

regardless of what ford says, you can safely tow it if you set it up carefully.

equalizer hitch, plenty of tongue weight, trailer brakes, tranny temp gauge if auto, keep speeds reasonable.

13k is a LOT of weight for a bumper pull, so be careful.

i do it all the time in snow and ice, but am converting traielr to gooseneck. much nicer to pull.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PSD PAC

GB -

13k pounds is getting pretty heavy as far as tongue weight goes, but the truck will do it. A Class V hitch is rated for 14k lbs, and a 1400lb tongue weight. That being said, 13k pounds is totally possible with our trucks. I would make a few suggestions.

One - convert to a gooseneck if possible. Much safer, and you can haul heavier loads. I've hauled some absolutely RIDICULOUS stuff with my truck and a gooseneck. PM me for details.

Two - if you're going to be pulling frequently, airbag your back end. You can do it for $250-300 through sponsors on this site, and around $500-600 if you want to have onboard air instead of just relying on gas stations or your shop compressor. On board air is nice to have, so I think it's a worthwhile add-on, especially for a work truck.

Three - a good trailer brake controller. Pick your poison on these, I don't really have a preference.

Four - Consider an exhaust brake. If you're hauling, get a REAL exhaust brake (US Gear, BD, Pac, etc). I've got a US Gear and have been VERY happy with it. Big advantage to a US Gear is you can put it on different size exhausts...so if you upgrade your exhaust later, you can get the fittings from USG to mate up your brake to the new exhaust.

If you decide you're going to want more towing power, don't skimp, make sure you get gauges when you do the power mods (chip, programmer, etc). I'm partial to Jody Tipton for chips, he's done me well, but there are plenty of other options through our sponsors. You may end up having to do exhaust and intake at the same time, 'cause the truck will get hotter EGTs while towing; just bear this in mind when upgrading.

I've done a lot of hauling with my truck, and have found it to be very comfy and reliable. Only problem is, to pull a mountain - you need two PSDs.

Good luck!

2000 250 PSD CC LB 3.73 4x4 6spd XLT Bright Red. Rickson 19.5s and Goodyear G124s, Performance Friction rotors and pads, GTP38R turbo, Thomas compressor with 5gal tank and 150/110 switch, Air Horns, Sony MD/6CD-MP3/XM & Components all around, Brown Bread soundproofing, USGear brake on 4" Magnaflow, ScorpionLiner, TransferFlow 30gal box, F350 springs 4" blocks and Firestone air bags rear, Rancho level kit up front, DiamondHitch gooseneck, Isspro, Husky Liners, Weather Tech, aFe ProGuard intake, Donnelley auto dimming mirror w/temp, Zerostart, Fumoto, 203 stat, Stanadyne Blue in every tank, Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS 120 with remote mount kit, 1.25kw Inverter under rear seat, Optima redtops with extra studs, Luxeon LED interior lights, Jody Tipton's 40/80/120/high idle flip chip WOOHOO!!!
PSD PAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

While all the info you have gotten is perfectly true and I can't argue. But I can add that you will probably be overweight by quite a bit. Nobody can give you the exact # without more variables given, such as rear end gearing, size tires etc. Your manual should give you specific numbers. I would plan your route carefully if it envolves going through scales you might be in for a short trip!!!
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PSD PAC

NChornet -

You're right - I wasn't claiming that towing crazy-heavy is smart, nor legal.....but it CAN be done with these trucks.

But, more to the point, towing isn't always the issue - stopping is!

2000 250 PSD CC LB 3.73 4x4 6spd XLT Bright Red. Rickson 19.5s and Goodyear G124s, Performance Friction rotors and pads, GTP38R turbo, Thomas compressor with 5gal tank and 150/110 switch, Air Horns, Sony MD/6CD-MP3/XM & Components all around, Brown Bread soundproofing, USGear brake on 4" Magnaflow, ScorpionLiner, TransferFlow 30gal box, F350 springs 4" blocks and Firestone air bags rear, Rancho level kit up front, DiamondHitch gooseneck, Isspro, Husky Liners, Weather Tech, aFe ProGuard intake, Donnelley auto dimming mirror w/temp, Zerostart, Fumoto, 203 stat, Stanadyne Blue in every tank, Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS 120 with remote mount kit, 1.25kw Inverter under rear seat, Optima redtops with extra studs, Luxeon LED interior lights, Jody Tipton's 40/80/120/high idle flip chip WOOHOO!!!
PSD PAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently purchased a f250 Heavy Duty 4x4 truck with the 7.3 liter motor. This is going to be a work truck but I need to know what does Ford say about the towing capacity for this truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford says your GCWR (combined weight of wet and loaded truck and trailer) is 20,000 pounds. Then in the fine print they say don't exceed the GVWR of 8,800 pounds on the 4 truck tires.

So for an F-250, ignore the GCWR and worry about the GVWR. Load the truck down with everything you normally haul (including people, hitch, and a full tank of diesel), then weigh the truck. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from 8,800 pounds and the answer is your max hitch weight. So if your truck weighs 8,000 pounds, then your max hitch weight is 800 pounds.

If you tow a 4-wheel "wagon" type trailer with virtually no hitch weight, then GVWR is not your limiter. So subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from 20,000 to get the max trailer weight.

For a bumper-pull trailer, you want about 11 to 12 percent of the gross trailer weight on the hitch. So divide the 800 pounds (or whatever your number is) by 0.12 to get the max trailer weight. 800 divided by 0.12 = 6,666.

For a gooseneck trailer, you want 18 to 20 percent of the trailer weight on the hitch. So divide 800 pounds by 0.20 to get the max trailer weight. 800 divided by 0.20 = 4,000

[ QUOTE ]
I need to tow a 13k trailer, can this truck do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a completely different question. Of course the engine can haul the mail, but you'll be way overloaded per Ford's numbers.

13,000 bumper-pull trailer will have a hitch weight of up to 1,560 pounds. So you can't use the optional Ford receiver. You'll have to replace it with one that has a capacity of 1,560 pounds hitch weight. Then when you get that done, you'll still exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle by 894 pounds.

13,000 gooseneck trailer will have a hitch weight of around 2,600 pounds. So you'll exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle by about 1,800 pounds.

With either trailer - or even with the wagon-type trailer, your GCW will be about 21,000 pounds. Or about 1,000 pounds more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle.

As my Dad used to say, the truck will pull it, but you'll "pull the guts outta the truck" doing it.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Ford says your GCWR (combined weight of wet and loaded truck and trailer) is 20,000 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify, the 20,000 lb GCWR is for calculating max weight for a gooseneck/fifth wheel type trailer. the maximum conventional trailer weight is 10,000 lbs, or at least thats what ford rates it at.
2001 F250 psd lariat cc sb, build date 08/00, PMT1, 4"turbo back stainless ATS exhaust,4 pos. custom burned Van Aaken quad power chip(stock,+50hp,+75hp,+130hp),airaid intake with prefilter,zoo-dad mod,ccv bypass,intake airheater grid removed,wastegate disconected and locked down,boost relief valve,VDO gauges,sonnax valve and tricumulator springs,24,000# B&M trans cooler,tekonsha prodigy,hella rally 4000 lights,firestone superduty rear airbags,rancho rs9000 shocks, helwig rear antisway bar, Bridgestone Revo 285/75-16
wlihntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just towed yesterday with my 250 and I hit the scales at 19,000lbs. I do have bags in the rear, and it's a bumper pull. It was very stable (on 37's load range E) and with the trailer brakes, I never had any issues stopping. I ran a minimum of 70, but ran between 75 and 80 the whole trip without ever hitting 1200degrees. Pretty easy going pull. Gooseneck is definately more stable and more comfortable to drive, but it wasn't bad at all yesterday.

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

smokeywren,

lets be real. tires are rated for 14k on the truck. maybe ford put those numbers on, but everyone pretty much ignores the gvw in the real world.

heck, according to the numbers, my payload in my 3/4 ton is about 300 pounds or something. and when all done, it is a LOT safer to tow a gooseneck then bumperpull.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

towing that much id worry more about the E4OD...

In SO-CAL?
Check out Southern California Powerstrokes.(SOCAPS).
desertwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
to clarify, the 20,000 lb GCWR is for calculating max weight for a gooseneck/fifth wheel type trailer. the maximum conventional trailer weight is 10,000 lbs, or at least thats what ford rates it at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly.

For the earlier SuperDuty pickups, the max trailer weight for a conventional trailer was 10,000 pounds, but only because that was the max capacity of the optional Ford receiver.

When Ford raised the receiver capacity to 12,500 pounds, they also raised the max TT weight to 12,500 pounds. When Ford offered the 15k receiver, they raised the max trailer weight to the same as for the the gooseneck/5er hitchs.

In the 2001.5 RV and Trailer Towing Guide, there is a footnote about the "conventional towing" maximums. It says:

"Trailer Weights are limited to 12,500 lbs. due to the conventional hitch."

But nothing says you must use a Ford receiver. If you install an aftermarket receiver with more than 12,500 pounds capacity, then the GCWR of 20,000 popunds is your limiter - not the receiver.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Its certainly the 8800 gvwr [and not the gcwr of 20k? I haven't checked my door label lately, but thought it was 18k+ for a circa 2000 F250] that gets ya. My wet, loaded truck, with the goose and two horses, put me around 15,400 total toward the GCWR - but over the 8800 gvwr, especially when my wife and I are sitting in the truck. That said, the truck's suspension seems barely effected by being at or just above the GVWR rating - which may explain why some posters poke fun or criticize Smokey's responsible commitment to load ratings and educating us all on towing safety. It may be safety, liability concerns, or just engineering conservatism, but it does seem that the 8800 rating - on these trucks- is awfully conservative. Not that sticking to it is a bad idea ....
2002 F350 Supercab Lariat 4x4 7.3L 6 spd. B&W gooseneck, Prodigy brake controller, PAC exhaust brake, WARN manual hubs, Ford AIS, Bilsteins, Michelin LTX, Line-X bedliner, 203F t-stat, Cat ELC coolant, by-pass coolant filter.
Wife's Ride: 2006 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI
Riggodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

OK lets get some stuff cleared up. It is a 7.3 so likely almost out of warrenty? If you exceed Ford's numbers don't expect them to pay for even (none weight related) problems. THAT is what those number are for.
You need to do some checking on your own. (trust me few people do this but KNOW anyway) Go to DMV, State Patrol, DOT,etc and ASK for limits. (true they won't know but might give you hints where to look) They don't care to give out info of this sort. WHAT they will give out is you must have brakes for all axles (ok if older/light weight/etc this is not required) AND the axles must be rated for load on tires (and tires rated for that weight at least as well.
So long and short in MN I can pull a 32" GNFB with tripples with 20k cargo behind my 3/4 ton pickup. AND get this THAT IS A LIGHT LOAD for what this truck has done. I bought it with 80k and former owner pulled a GN dump with (by weight) 25K lbs of cargo on it. 150 miles loaded/150 empty. At 75k he had E40D trans rebuilt as making some noise. AS well as new knuckles put in. I make the thing snort and it pulls anything I care to put behind it.
Now I am lic for 80k so the 26k is not a issue. As long as I am not hauling for hire I don't need to lic for higher weights on my truck.
Check YOUR laws youself and (try) to get it in writing.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.