towing tandem in Wisconsin - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
towing tandem in Wisconsin

I have a camper and a boat that I am planning on towing in Illinois and one trip through Wisconsin. Camper is 22ft 5th wheel and the boat is 24 ft with trailer. I am going to be legal in length. Does anybody have experience with getting the temporary permit in Wisconsin to haul tandem? I hear they are ok with it IF you get a temporary permit. Who would I even call??? I can't get anything with a google search.

Any good advise when getting everything setup for this style of pull? I went super heavy on the hitches so that is covered. I think the truck will be fine too. Just curious if I am over looking anything.

SOLD. 2002 Crew Cab SB 4X4, XLT Lariat, BTS Trans, 6.0 cooler, DP Tuner F-6 Stock, 60T, 80T 80E, AutoMeter gauges, AIH delete, AIS, Gen2WW, EBV delete w/pedistal, Zoodad, HX Crossover, 203 stat, Coolant filter kit, Rotella ELC, 5W40 CenPeCo Syn, Terra Grappler 285/70/17, Monroe Reflex shocks, intercooler wrap removed, Roll-n-Lock, Recon cab lights, 230,000, DrawTite brake controller, AIC module, BTM, Dieselsite boot kit and intercooler boots
weitekampt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
This probably doesn't apply to vehicles not registered in Wisconsin. If you're legal in your state with your license plates, Wisconsin probably will not give you any static when traveling through their state. But it won't hurt to contact them and ask:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/busines...rms/mv2743.pdf

The RV trailer must weigh more than the boat trailer. The only hangup you might have is when on a CAT scale if the weight on the RV axles is less than the weight on the boat trailer axles. The back trailer must weigh less than the first trailer, and the quickest way to check is axle weights. But the LEOs probably won't even bother checking unless the boat trailer is obviously a lot heavier than the RV trailer - or if you are involved in an acident and someone gets hurt.

Most states have a similar rule, but they don't require a permit, and are more restrictive in that the RV trailer must be a fifth-wheel or gooseneck design, not a tag trailer. Apparently Wisconsin allows the RV trailer to be a tag trailer.

Quote:
Who would I even call???
Here's the application form. It includes a link and E-Mail address for more info.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/busines...rms/mv2742.pdf

I don't see it with a quick search, but if you're in Wisconsin then I'd start at the same DOT/tax office where you get your license plates. If they're not the right place, they'll know who is.

Quote:
Any good advise when getting everything setup for this style of pull?
Spend some time and money on a CAT scale to be sure you have the proper weight distribution.

Many boat trailers have too much weight behind the axles resulting in less than 10 percent of the gross trailer weight on the hitch. That's a candidate for severe sway that could ruin your day. So I would spend some time on a CAT scale and move the weight around so I had at least ten percent of the boat trailer's gross weight on the hitch.

And that much weight on the back of a tag RV trailer might make it too light on the hitch too. So move stuff in the RV trailer until you also have at least 10 percent of the gross weight of the RV trailer on the hitch after the boat is hooked on (before you connect the weight distribution (WD) bars). Then be certain you have a WD hitch for the RV trailer. I'd also prefer a WD hitch for the boat trailer, or as a minimum a sway controller, but most boat trailers have surge brakes that do not play well with most WD hitches and may not even allow a friction-type sway controller.

I often tow a 3,000-pound box trailer behind my 5er. When the 5er does a jog, the box trailer does a HUGE jog. So sway is a constant fear. I hook it up with a sway controller to help reduce the chances of an uncontrollable sway condition.
http://www.reeseproducts.com/fitguid...ID=26660&dlr=0

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 05-02-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add application
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
THanks Smokey. You gave me a lot of great information that I was needing. Also, great idea on the sway control hitch. I need one of those anyway.

I will post more later. THANKS!!!

SOLD. 2002 Crew Cab SB 4X4, XLT Lariat, BTS Trans, 6.0 cooler, DP Tuner F-6 Stock, 60T, 80T 80E, AutoMeter gauges, AIH delete, AIS, Gen2WW, EBV delete w/pedistal, Zoodad, HX Crossover, 203 stat, Coolant filter kit, Rotella ELC, 5W40 CenPeCo Syn, Terra Grappler 285/70/17, Monroe Reflex shocks, intercooler wrap removed, Roll-n-Lock, Recon cab lights, 230,000, DrawTite brake controller, AIC module, BTM, Dieselsite boot kit and intercooler boots
weitekampt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.