The Diesel Stop banner

Trailer "rebuild" trying to get the brakes going

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bigred177 
#1 ·
My uncle has a trailer he needs some work done on that was a pretty big basket case to I started trying to get everything going. I have pretty much everything fixed but I'm having issues with the brakes.

It is a tandem axle gooseneck. When it came to me all four of the brake wires had been cut. Evidently someone couldn't get them to unlock to they just cut the wires. I pulled all four assemblies off and replaced with 4 new Dexter 8 lug assemblies. My understanding is that the magnets do not have a polarity per se so I can hook them up either way. The way these go is one set of two wires comes down the trailer then splits and hooks to one brake and goes across the axle to the other brake. It is the same for the rear axle. My brake controller is not recognizing they're hooked up at all. I am getting power from the blue wire on the controller. The only thing I can think of is that the assemblies are wired opposite of each other on their axle and it's causing a problem with the flow to ground?

I also replace the breakaway switch while messing with the brakes if that might be something with it.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Haha

#2 ·
Trailer "rebuild" trying to get the brakes going

Your right in thinking the magnets don't have a polarity, just connect the wires and your good to go.

First thing I would check is all your connections at the backing plate, I have replaced brakes and thought I got a good crimp only to find one wire missed.

Make sure your getting a brake signal at the plug, and if you have power, try pulling the pin on the breakaway.

#3 ·
One thing I have found on trailer brakes is it is best to run a separate ground to the backing plate from the wire harness. Some depend on the bolts or springs on the trailer to provide a good ground but over time it will start to cause problems.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, that's a good idea. It turned out to be the connector on the truck side. I kept getting funny readings from the multi-meter so I pulled it off and both the brake and ground were loose.

I can hook the trailer up directly to 12v and the brakes engage great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.