UnaGoose v.s. B&W gooseneck hitch - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UnaGoose v.s. B&W gooseneck hitch

Looking for input on these two hitches. The UnaGoose has a higher load rating (30,000# I believe) and it appears to be easy to install. For anyone that has the UnaGoose, how easy is it to remove the ball and does the ball fit tight without any play?

I pull an 20' gooseneck weighing 3800# loaded down with around 12000# of hay

2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV264
2013 Polaris XP 900 Blue/Orange Madness LE
2013 PJ 25' gooseneck with adjustable dovetail
2013 PJ 24' bumper pull heavy equipment hauler
2014 S&H 16' stock trailer
2014 Big Tex dump trailer
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: UnaGoose v.s. B&W gooseneck hitch

I am getting ready to order the unagoose as soon as my truck is delivered(ETA 3rd wk of may)

The una-goose is rated at 40K, and the B&W is 30K. I like the simple/strong design of the una-goose. I asked several questions about the una-goose here and got some answers, but most people use the B&W hitch on this forum.
I would like to hear about how tight of a fit the ball and socket is also.
Maybe we can get a mass buy started. I am looking at becoming a dealer of the unagoose to get a discount off each hitch.
Retail is $399 hitch(drill type), $30 safety chain plate, $24 shipping
3 or more ordered and you can get the discount.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
mickeybrian@bellsouth.net
Western NC
cbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

Im probly one of a few that uses the rail system. Goose and an air ride fifthwheel.
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just checked them out and they look interesting. I'm in the market also and I'm looking at this unit and the B&W...

My Daily Tow Rig: 2004 F350 / Crew Cab / Short Bed / Diesel / Lariat / Single Rear Wheels

Picture of my rig with my gooseneck dropping off a shipping container at a customer's house:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/...e894765e_b.jpg
Allagash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

The questions to ask yourself is, will I ever tow 40,000 lbs with my pickup. If the answer is yes, go una-goose. If the answer is no, you have a decision.

The reason I went with the B & W is all of the accessories. If I'm ever at an auction and they have a trailer with the old pin type gooseneck hitch (eyelet rather than ball) or a trailer with the ball mounted on the trailer, I can buy the correct adapter for my B & W and pull either one and probably get it cheaper because most folks don't have the hitch for those types of trailers any more.

Same thing if I decide to get a 5th wheel camper even though the B%W fifth wheel is a little pricey, I've still got that option.

With the Una-Goose, you have a really strong 2 5/16" ball, but it is single purpose and can't be adapted to other uses.

Just some things to think about.
Ag__Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

One more thing, I got my B & W for $325 and that included the chain hooks and the shipping. $399+ sounds a little steep for something to do the same job unless you need the added capacity.
Ag__Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via ICQ to MudHog

Don't forget the option of the hay bail mover that can attach to the B&W.

'06 F250 FX4 CC SWB
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

The B&W is rated for 30,000 lbs. The Uni-Goose is rated at 40,000 lbs. What's your truck rated at again? Both hitches are rated higher than the truck, so weight ratings, in this case, don't matter.

FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Heavier rating means that it's got to be built heavier. I would prefer the heaviest one of the two, but still need input on the other differences between the two, ease of installation of the hitch, how easy is to remove the ball, does the ball have free play?

Old 04-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

How difficult is the B&W to install on a 2004 F350? How long did it take you to install yours (if you've installed one)?

My Daily Tow Rig: 2004 F350 / Crew Cab / Short Bed / Diesel / Lariat / Single Rear Wheels

Picture of my rig with my gooseneck dropping off a shipping container at a customer's house:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/...e894765e_b.jpg
Allagash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Heavier rating means that it's got to be built heavier. I would prefer the heaviest one of the two, but still need input on the other differences between the two, ease of installation of the hitch, how easy is to remove the ball, does the ball have free play?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, going by that logic, you plan on getting an F750 to pull a tent trailer with, correct? There comes a time where there is too much overkill. I'll probably have my Man Card revoked for saying that, but there is truth in it.

FWIW, I know of a trailer that turned over a truck when the trailer got tipped over. It was hooked up with a B&W. We did the repairs on the trailer (horse trailer) and inspected the hitch. The framewok on the trailer was powder coated, as was the hitch. The frame of the trailer showed stress cracks in the powder coating. Insurance wanted everything like that replaced. No problem. The hitch showed absolutly zero bending or stress cracking. When compared to a brand new hitch, the peices were perfect. It still operated flawlessly. The hitch was straight as an arrow.

I also know of a guy that was running a backhoe up on his gooseneck equipment trailer, while attached to his one ton Dodge dually, through a B&W. The leverage of the backhoe on the rear of the trailer brought up the back of the Dodge three feet. Again, the hitch still works just fine.

Installation is very simple and straight forward with a B&W. I've installed quite a few. I have never seen a Uni-Goose in person, however, so I can't comment on how it is contructed or installed.

Imagine the back of a pick-up (loaded with assorted construction tools and materials) being hung in the air by the hitch. Imagine a truck turned over due to a trailer being turned on it's side. How much more strength could you want?

Old 04-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the input on the B&W, I have looked at one.

I haven't saw a UnaGoose hitch, but if it has 10000 lb extra capacity
then it's got to be built heavier. Would I ever tow that much with my F250? No, but it's like my tractors (see my signature).

I buy John Deere's. They make cost more than a Kubota, or Massey but their frames are built heavier. On this black gumbo, clay soil, if it's not heavy, it will break and it's junk..........

As far as the B&W not being damaged in the accidents that you mentioned, a visual inspection ain't gonna cut it. Do you have a degree in metallurgy? How about x-raying that hitch and looking for fractures?

I would gladly pay the extra $70 for a better hitch (if it is better).
If I had wanted to go along with the crowd and buy the B&W, I wouldn't have even posted the question in the first place.

The purpose of my original question was to find out which hitch was the best. I am still waiting on comments on the UnaGoose from actual users or installers.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of my original question was to find out which hitch was the best. I am still waiting on comments on the UnaGoose from actual users or installers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're not finding any, are you? I've been doing trailers, hitches, and wiring for over half of my working life (for lack of a better term), and I have never seen one. I've seen plenty in print, but never seen one installed and in use, in person. I could really care less which one you go with. You probably won't buy your hitch from me or the people I work for, so I've got nothing to gain by convincing you to install a B&W. Just throwing out my opinions.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

the only difference I see is that the safty chains hook to the ball. Is that better or worse. ball goes so does safty chain.so what is good about safty chain hooked to ball.No safty chain plate in the bed but no safty chain if ball goes south.If i saw the pic. right u bolts hold it to frame. I think Id go turnball
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a B&W hitch in my truck and it has no play in it.
matkinson659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.