Who makes the best fifth wheel hitch - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who makes the best fifth wheel hitch

A friend of mine has ordered a new truck and wants the best fifth wheel hitch he can get. GVWR of the rig is around 14880 #'s. Who do you think is the better one and price is not issue for him. combo set king pin box and hitches. Let me know your in put.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Manual 4x4 (No Auto 4x4 Here) Lariat Loaded, Leather, DVD player, Audiophile sound system, Memory seats, power extend mirrors, tow command system, tailgate step, bed extender, Rancho 4" lift with BFG 37/12.50 Rancho XL 9000 Shocks.

Towed Vehicle: 2005 28' Sprinter Copper Canyon 5th wheel with slideout

66' CJ5 Rock Ready..
Pics Coming soon!
jays2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I have the b&w turnball and companion 5th hitch, could of had the Reese 18,000 signature for same price but would have had to wait on delivery for it. Either one are good hitches if you want a clean bed when there out and both are dual usage fiver and gooseneck. My 5er is 14,900 gvw but who knows, if I go heavier I be ready.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the DrawTite 20K which is identical to the Reese Select series. I am very happy with it, has a HUGE head so hooking up is easy. Reese makes about 5 different brand names, DrawTite and Hidden Hitch being 2 of them. They are all going to be safe and work well, I just like the fact Reese has been doing it for a long time and the hitch has performed great.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Depends on whether he has a shorty or a long bed.

For a shorty, the best hitch is the PullRite SuperGlide.
http://www.pullrite.com/products/tra...ort-bed-trucks

For a long bed, I like my plain ole Reese 16k 4-way tilt Select Series. If your trailer grosses more than 16k, Reese/Drawtite makes fifth-wheel hitches with more weight capacity up to 30k.
http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30047.html

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 01-22-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Update link
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you are serious about towing, especially a big 5th wheel, then you need to go to an Air Ride Hitch. Air Safe - Air Hitch Technology Once you get one you won't believe the difference. I have had one for 4 years and its the best thing since sliced bread. Granted they are more expensive but it eliminates the shock load to your truck and trailer and give you a smooth ride. Air Safe Hitches are not the only ones out there. Trailair Trailair make a good one as well.
Check'em out.

DRDON
2008 F350 Lariat 6.4 CC SRW 2WD Auto. 172" Dark Blue Pearl /Pueblo Gold 5"Chrome CabSteps Camper Pkg. HD Alt. Tow Command Upfitter Switches, 25K Air Safe Hitch, Retrax Cover, Ride Rites, 45 gal. Aux. Tank, Trains Horns, On-Board Air, 19.5" Michelins

2007 Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge Reserve 40' 5th wheel trailer, 3/Slides, Mor-ryde IS suspension, disc brakes, dual A/C, theatre system, solid surface counter tops, king bed, bigfoot levelers, 50 AMP service, heated tanks, 17.5 Alcoa Wheels, Michelin Tires and more

MY PICTURES:
http://www.bigdon68.shutterfly.com/
DRDON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Thanks for all the input, i will pass this along to him. Thanks again.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Manual 4x4 (No Auto 4x4 Here) Lariat Loaded, Leather, DVD player, Audiophile sound system, Memory seats, power extend mirrors, tow command system, tailgate step, bed extender, Rancho 4" lift with BFG 37/12.50 Rancho XL 9000 Shocks.

Towed Vehicle: 2005 28' Sprinter Copper Canyon 5th wheel with slideout

66' CJ5 Rock Ready..
Pics Coming soon!
jays2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Best Hitch

There are several quality brands out there. I recently bought a new fifth wheel and used a product guide to check out all of my options:

Good luck!

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 12-26-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: deleted invalid link.
rscott771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Pullrite & Reese Elite Series are the best & safest, hands down. Both have a rack & pinion operated single jaw that latches securely around the kingpin with precision & no excess slack so there is no "clunk" that is associated with most 5th wheel hitches.
The Reese Elite Series is now a factory available option on '11 & newer Superdutys so it is covered by warranty as well.
I have used both of these hitches, Pullrite on my last truck & Reese Elite series which I ordered on my new truck.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

pretty happy with my B&W companion
caveperson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Slider hitch

Check this video out
TSMTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

I like the Demco autoslide for my short bed it is as good or better than the pull right IMO
18K Autoslide | Demco Products

They have a version that fits the factory prep option. Works well for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just bought the Demco Hijacker 18K Autoslide and I love it. It is designed to work with the factory 5th wheel prep pkg. In my previous truck, I had a Reese 20K manual slider hitch, which was very reliable, but required me to manually slide it when needed.
2014 F350 XLT, CC, SWB, Ingot Silver, 6.7L PSD, 4x4, Fx4 Pkg.,3.55 ELD, 5th Wheel Prep Pkg., Snow Plow Prep, Spray in Bedliner, Chrome Pkg., Rear Back-up Camera, Back-up Sensors, Tailgate Step, Power Folding Mirrors, Rear Wheel Well Liners, Power Sliding Rear Window w/Heated Glass, Remote Start, Roof Clearance Lights, Helwig Rear Sway Bar.

Demco Hijacker 18K Autoslide 5th wheel hitch
2005 Open Road 38 ft. 5th wheel.
shark1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Too late for the OP back in 2010 but for anyone looking now, I think this is one of the best on the market and better yet, the resale is excellent. I have owned and used about five different hitches over the years, including Reese, B&W companion, Valley, Draw Tight and Colibert goose neck. Here is the one I own now and will never go back to the others. Air Ride Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitches for Reese Rails...
2004 F450 Crew Cab, Lariet, 6.0, 4:30 rear end, custom auxiliary tank w/electric pump, Manning Pickup Bed, Brakesmart, 35' HR w/Axle Flip, 32,000 miles. 2001 HR 35 cks Presidential 5th wheel, 3 slides, axles flipped, TS-3 air hitch.
barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlow46 View Post
Too late for the OP back in 2010 but for anyone looking now, I think this is one of the best on the market and better yet, the resale is excellent. I have owned and used about five different hitches over the years, including Reese, B&W companion, Valley, Draw Tight and Colibert goose neck. Here is the one I own now and will never go back to the others. Air Ride Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitches for Reese Rails...
I have that hitch and man its the best. Ride is so much better and stuff does not move in the camper while running. Left a bottle of water on the table running across I-40 From Exit 126 to Cookville. And it was still sitting there when we stopped for lunch.

Pete
tnpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.