Who Needs To Stop At A Weigh Station? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who Needs To Stop At A Weigh Station?

I was just curious as to what the laws were regarding who does and doesn't need to stop at a weigh station. Obviously, driving my unloaded F350 down the interstate, I wouldn't have to stop at one, however, what if I'm towing my 30' gooseneck with 5K on it for a total of 11.3K (including the trailer)? What if I had a 100 cobblestones in my bed (while not towing a trailer) that each weighed just under 20lbs?

My Daily Tow Rig: 2004 F350 / Crew Cab / Short Bed / Diesel / Lariat / Single Rear Wheels

Picture of my rig with my gooseneck dropping off a shipping container at a customer's house:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/...e894765e_b.jpg
Allagash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Re: Who Needs To Stop At A Weigh Station?

Depends on the state...

Most states will ignore pick-up trucks as far as the weigh stations are concerned. (Won't stop Officer Friendly from giving you a hard time if he feels like it) The states that do require pick-ups to pull in, it's usually only commercial use, and registered over 10,000 lbs (here in Utah for example). California though makes a point of putting "No Pick-ups" on their signs for the weigh stations. On the other hand, EVERY vehicle pulling livestock is supposed to pull in to the weigh stations in most of the states I drive, but I routinely see pick-ups with horse trailers (and horses) drive right by.

Sorry to all the loyal 7.3 guys, but I traded my '91 7.3 in on a 2002 F250 Ex cab V10 4x4. SCT Xcalibrator2 with tunes by Powerplay Performance. 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's. Took a long time to get used to the ping-pop of a cooling catalytic converter...LOL.

'85 Bronco swapped up to a 302 4bbl from the 300 I6, NP435 4spd, NP208, 32x11.50x15 Radial RVT's, Soon to be 6.9 turbo powered.

86 F350 Cab&Chassis with a dump bed. 2wd 6.9 and 4 spd tranny. No mods to engine.

2000 Volvo 660 N14 Cummins, 500hp 1650 ft lbs, Autoshift tranny 10spd.

What part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do you NOT understand?
aceohearts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

If you do a search on the subject you should find about 500 posts, 90% of which is speculation. A ten minute call to your local highway patrol, DMV, etc, will give you the correct answer.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
AlH

[ QUOTE ]
A ten minute call to your local highway patrol, DMV, etc, will give you the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bet on it! In my experience you can call multiple times and get different answers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

I'm trying to find out the same thing, I recently bought a dump trailer and am at 23,000 or so total truck and trailer loaded. Private use not for hire, fortunately where I'm hauling I don't pass any weigh stations but that doesn't meant they can't pull you on the road to check you out....
AlH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)

Best bet is to call a state scale and talk to a D.O.T. enforcement officer or even better pull in and park behind one that is open when you are on the road. Go on in and talk to the D.O.T. enforcement officer on duty. The folks there are VERY helpful and are the ones who deal with the laws and such every day. I had one inspector tell me he often has to correct a state trooper on what is and is not legal.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is fun calling/stoping and visiting with DOT folks or at weight scales. You will get a new answer ever time.
Think of it as TSA without that much power. I have pulled into scales and asked. I had to leave before arguement between the workers got violent.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now that's funny....

My Daily Tow Rig: 2004 F350 / Crew Cab / Short Bed / Diesel / Lariat / Single Rear Wheels

Picture of my rig with my gooseneck dropping off a shipping container at a customer's house:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/...e894765e_b.jpg
Allagash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
The only reason to stop would be to use the rest room !
And I'd rather pull over and use my own than go to theirs !
Stop by and say Howdy ! That's the only reason to visit, your not a commerical veh..
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

RobertJohn
That IMO should be the way it is. IF you rent a Penske truck you must sign a waiver that you WILL stop (ok drive thru) all weigh stations. That you have been informed of this by Penske and will not attempt to push blame to Penske for failing to inform you. I got to chat with folks at two weigh stations between FL and MN on that trip. Neither knew for sure if I HAD to stop.
I have never seen a nation wide (heck state wide) FIRM statement on this.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

I signed a waiver like that too. It was Ryder truck.

I used to never hit scales when pulling my 40 race car trailer with my pickup. From Ohio to FLA to IL...never. Now that I use the Mack, I pull thru. Never been an issue, smile and wave.

The signs at Ohio scales NOW read ALL trucks over ? weight(can't remember now). They don't care commercial or not.
1969 F100 SB.....428 cubic inches of dual quad, 4 speed terror.
1964 Galaxie......390 cubic inches of blown big block...with a 4 speed
1964 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon.....428 ci and 5 speeds of wheelstanding race car
40ft Haulmark trailer..for the car, quad, AND kitchen sink
FOKISD MEMBER
ATHS MEMBER
....old trucks RULE!
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I just got back yesterday from pulling thru Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona pulling 31kGCW and I never stopped at any scales but I was weighed as I went by the scales in every State (electronic road scales with cameras).

I'm not commerical so I didn't have to stop. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I had several State Patrol cars pass me on the roads other than New Mexico as in 350 miles I never seen a cop and not one even gave me a second look. I was followed by a DOT officer in Texas for a few miles without being stopped but he did nail a 18 wheeler heading east.

As far as I'm concerned, if your not COMMERICAL your asking for trouble pulling into the scales. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
02 F350, 4X6, Crew, DRW, LWB, PSD, 6spd, 3:73, Island Blue, Stock, AEB2, Phoenix Az
Buy UNION work UNION. It pays off in the long run
Define Union:
A labor Union is nothing more than united workers with a common goal for better working conditions.

We all are in some sort of labor Union, some are just larger than others with better working conditions!
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've towed my rig in all the states except Hawaii, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I've never stopped at a weigh station and have never had any repercussions from it.

Florida Ed

2001 7.3 F-350 Dually Lariat CC LWB 4X2 Dark Green 4.10 4R100 5'ver Hauler (32' Montana 2 slides 10,500# - 2,000# tongue weight), 106 gal aux tank, 198K miles, nephews arguing over who will inherit it 'cause I'm gonna' drive it 'til I die. Bone stock.

SOLD 2001 5.4 Gasser F-250 XLT Crewcab SWB 4X2 3.73 4R100 98K miles headed to 150K stock as the day it was made

Before these: '00 F-250 CC PSD, '97 F-250 CC PSD, '94 Ford F-150, '91 Ford E-250, '81 Ford E-150, '66 Ford F-100 (cars not included)
FloridaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

The ONLY time I've ever been stopped was going thru Florida while pulling my empty 6 horse trailer. I saw the sign that said that all livestock haulers had to stop-but since I was empty I just sailed on past. My wife and I & daughter & son-in-law were enaged in conversation and I looked up and there were pretty blue and red lights behind me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So I pulled over and the officer looked through my trailer and chewed me out for not stopping, but let me go on my way...........

On the return trip I made sure that I stopped [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This time, I had put toy "stick ponies" in the windows [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (the officer was not amused) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

However, he looked through the trailer and tack room (I think he was looking for illegal aliens [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img])

Scott
2006 F350, PSD, Lariat CC, 4x4, DRW, 6 speed,LS 4:10, . Dual Alts, moonroof, heated seats, off-road, heavy service suspension, aux idle control, Pyro gauge, Rhino-liner, gooseneck hideaway, ranch-hand grill guard, KC Daylighters.

BOUGHT BACK BY FORD-2004 F350
1977 Chevy 4x4 Suburban (original owner)
1990 Chevy 4x4 Suburban (wife's)

US Army (Retired)1974-2004
Scott Davies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you are pulling your personal RV you dont have to stop at any weigh station.

LeRoy
Old 06-12-2005, 06:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

That is the great thing about this system. Seems every officer has a different thought on how strict it should be. I've heard guys pulling EMPTY utility trailers getting popped for not stopping [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. So, instead of getting yelled out for not stopping, I spend a minute going thru and go on my way.

ALL rv's are exempt! Unless you are pulling them for profit(delivery them as a business).
1969 F100 SB.....428 cubic inches of dual quad, 4 speed terror.
1964 Galaxie......390 cubic inches of blown big block...with a 4 speed
1964 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon.....428 ci and 5 speeds of wheelstanding race car
40ft Haulmark trailer..for the car, quad, AND kitchen sink
FOKISD MEMBER
ATHS MEMBER
....old trucks RULE!
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.