The Diesel Stop banner

From 7.3L to '17 6.7L?

12K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  85351ho 
#1 ·
Looking at a new vehicle. My '99 7.3 is still going, but wife wants me to get a new 'better' vehicle.

My question is, what do I need to know about the 2017 diesels? Are they still 200K plus mileage trucks? How much has changed?

This will be basically a daily driver with occasional light pulling.

What do I need to know?

#3 ·
Well, if you get the 6.7 you'll about be doubling horsepower and torque. :) For a daily driver and light towing, not sure you need it, but I sure like mine. 20-30K per year is quite a bit....

#4 ·
I love my 7.3 but if I only had light pulling I would go with the nicest f150 I could buy. That would save you at least 20G and F150 will last you for at least 250,000 miles.

#5 ·
If i had a 99 and my wife said to look for a newer truck l would look for a nice clean 02 or 03 7.3 ???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Hell keep the 7.3 and get the f150 and you will still save money compared to what you will pay for a new 6.7

#8 ·
I am looking for a 7.3 Excursion we just had another set of twins so I need the room. 6 kids pluss the wife.

#9 ·
They know what causes that now, ya know....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phillippeterson
#12 ·
So...I had this all typed out last night and realized I wasn't logged in. Got locked out after failed login attempts...but here today and thankfully my post was still here!!

Having owned a reliable '02 F-350 7.3L, I can say that the only reason I sold that truck is that Ford put the Navistar debacle behind them and designed the 6.7 in-house. If I would have had any concerns, I would have likely kept the '02. I mean, you can't have it all, but the 6.7 sure is a nice package!

I do miss the ability to work on my 7.3L and perhaps there are a few things we can tinker with on the 6.7's, but for the most part it seems to require specialty tools.

I too tow "light" at usually well under 10K, but I sure like having more truck than I need 99% of the time. No one likes to show up to a gun fight with a knife...

If you love your 7.3, you could do a LOT of updating for the price of a new truck. However, good luck getting that financed!

And as Jaso said, perhaps hold out for the 3.0L half-ton...

Just be careful - because if you go drive a new 6.7l, you will likely fall in love.

#13 ·
Don't make the mistake I did and test drive a new 2017. It is leaps and bounds better than my 1999. I just ended up ordering a new 2017.

Flash

#14 ·
The two most reliable engines ever installed in a Superduty?
7.3 and 6.2.

#17 ·
6.2l gas in the superduty 2016 and older
385 hp @ 5,750 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm

Those are indeed impressive numbers as is this video, but as he says, it SUCKS gas.

I'd LOVE to see a drag race with 8k trailer between identical trucks, one with the 6.2 and the other with the 6.7 diesel. I'd be willing to wager the diesel would win a 0-60, but the clincher would be towing that load for several hundred miles. I'm pretty sure the diesel would win the fuel economy award there too.

#19 ·
6.2l gas in the superduty 2016 and older
385 hp @ 5,750 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm

Those are indeed impressive numbers as is this video, but as he says, it SUCKS gas.
Yeah, I had two of the 6.8l V-10's. "It could pass anything but a gas station". :)

Reactions: Phillippeterson
#18 · (Edited)
#20 · (Edited)
Wife, me, hiking gear, fifth wheel hitch, and some Vermont hills and some highway.

#21 ·
I currently have an 09 F150 with the 5.4L V8, and am waiting on my 17 F350 with the 6.7L. When I tow my enclosed car trailer with my car in it and a bed FULL of tools and parts across the USA from west coast to the east coast through lots of hills I average about 10mpg. I'll report back after my trip east this June!!!

#24 ·
the 2017 F150 has a very 'car-like' ride...the superduty more like a very refined truck that you can drop 4k in the back of.

My 7.3's all drive like trucks(steering/ride)...and are loud...and pull great-until you do it with a 2017!

My 2017 is a rocket ship that drives like a truck and handles well on pavement as well as off-road...I'm getting 17.5 mpg and drive hard. The creature comforts blow away my 7.3's(note, that includes an excursion, f350, f550, and e550...I really like my 2017 so far...and I drive a ton 7500 miles some months!)

#27 ·
The things that factored into 7.3''s when they were new do not apply now.
Diesel vs gas now is simply a want, you can average better mpg towing and empty with diesel but it is still more expensive to operate. The driving experience will be much more enjoyable with the diesel. Either platform will easily give you 200k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.