08 F250 Daily Driver - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F250 Daily Driver

I keep hearing people say not to buy a diesel for a daily driver. I work in new home construction and could probably get by with a F150 but have always drooled over a 250 PSD. Is there any reason besides cost to not get a diesel when you wont be towing on a daily basis? I have heard people say they need to warm up and need to be pushed to last. Any input is appreciated as this would be my first diesel outside of tractors and an old farm truck.
dustinwill23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 08 F250 Daily Driver

Not necessarily truly answering your question, but my 7.3 has 220k and has only rarely been used to tow. Daily driver, with regular highway mileage. The diesel will do whatever you want to do, just differently. I tend to plug mine in at night, mostly because I like having heat fairly quickly, not because it needs it. I can't race the cars in stop light drags, but it will still run with most on the highway. Unfortunately it's a very individual question, that there will be no right or wrong answers to. Good luck with whatever you choose!

2000 250SC,4WD,4R100,3.73 rear,loaded, Leer XL160
fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am mainly wondering if it will actually hurt the truck that I only tow maybe 15-20 time a year. The rest of the time is mainly highway mileage and short jaunts around town. I also have a ton of stop and go driving since I am constantly jumping from one job site to the next.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

How often do you buy a new car or truck?
jaycebroussard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's your money, buy what you want. If you've always wanted an F250 PSD and have the money, then buy it. Who cares what your driving habits are, it doesn't matter to your truck. Do what you want. I use my F350 PSD as a daily driver and am 100% happy with it. When people ask me why I need such a big truck, I just shrug and say "Because that's what I wanted". I don't ask someone why they bought a Corvette that will do 150+ when the speed limit is only 70. If you have always drooled over the idea of owning an F250 PSD, then buy one and I guarantee that you'll still be drooling after you own it. It is definitely the most awesome truck on the road.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great thats the news I wanted I was just scared I would ruin the truck by using it the way I do. BTW I buy a new car about every 4-5 years. I have always owned a truck but made the mistake of buying an SUV 4 years ago and cant stand not having a bed.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1

I have used the truck in my Sig as a daily for 2 1/2 years with no ill effects,If you want an F250 as a daily driver Go for it,you state that you can get by with an F150,but it is nice to have that extra Power & towing capacity if you ever need it. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

You certainly won't hurt it, but you will pay a premium for it. It costs about $6k more than a V-10, gets about the same millage, and the fuel currently costs more. Maint. costs are a bit higher too.

However, you can use bio-diesel, which is better for the US.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you buy the F150, but really wanted the F250/F350, then every time you pull up next to an 08 SuperDuty at a stoplight, you will want to crawl under the nearest manhole cover, severely outrigged (as my son would say). Seriously, besides the cost of ownership, there is no problem with an 08 PSD as an everyday driver. Sure, it was meant for pulling, but it doesn't have to.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Life is short as long as you aren't over extending yourself drive what brings a smile to your face. I love the size sound and function of my F250. I haul heavy stuff a good bit, work the land, go hunting haul a cord of firewood. I love my F250. I may get a gasser next time and the thought of that depresses me. I just don't trust the 6.4 and all of its govt eco technology. Diesel costs too much these days to have one that gets 10-12 mpg...
Quad pillar Air, trans temp, pyro, boost
Magnaflow 15954, ATS studs
Transfer Flow 46gal midship tank
Firestone Airbags 2400 kit ViAir 250C compressor
Eaton TruTrac, Rancho 9000's, Skyjacker 1.5" rings
ViAir 380C@200psi, 5gal tank, Siege Anvil train horns say move *****!
Lightningfast01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

I say if it is what you want then buy it. You only live once
Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just thought I'd add my two cents here.... because this is something I think about all the time. If I didn't have a huge trailer to tow... there is absolutely no way that I could justify owning my f250 diesel. It gets terriable fuel economy, diesel cost more than gas, oil changes cost more, fuel filters changes are way more frequent (which adds to the maintence cost).... and its a pain in the ass to park! Not to mention the extra cost of the diesel in the first place. If I could get away with owning a f-150.... there would be absolutely no choice in the matter!
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

My truck has been a daily driver/commuter for all its life, bought new. Rarely tows any serious load. It is the vehicle of choice for family cross country trips also, having covered most of the USA several times, even though I had option of driving a Lexus or Sienna.
Fuel costs are significantly higher than gas, and any theoretical mpg advantage is lost in the numbers. Maintenance is also higher, although my truck has so far been pretty free of repair need.

If you want it, get it. I did.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

GO FOR IT!!!! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input, I think I will probably go with the PSD as the last thing I want to do is go spend 40k on a f-150 and not be completely happy with the purchase. Maybe this is just a good excuse to get a boat so I have something to tow all summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.