1996 GMC 6.5L Diesel troubleshooting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 GMC 6.5L Diesel troubleshooting

I have a 1996 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton 6.5L diesel, and she has 144,000 miles on her, and has a very rough idle. Lately, she's having difficulty starting and even after firing up, I have to rev it several times to prevent stalling out. She's also dropped some torque and power, especially going up hills. Any ideas what's wrong? I'm thinking fuel injectors. The air and fuel filters are fresh.
Also, any info on the engine itself, especially in relation to other engines, cummins and powerstroke, would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Enigma7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1996 GMC 6.5L Diesel troubleshooting

very possible injection pump getting ready to leave the building...

Josh
1996 Ford F350 XL SuperCab shortbed 4x4, PSD, 5-speed manual, D60 swap, 6" Skyjacker (all spring) lift, 37" Super Swamper SSRs, 16x10 Ultra Stargazer wheels, South Bend Con-O-FE clutch (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!), SMFW, Tymar air intake, Swamps 150/146s, shimmed FPR, Northern Diesel Performance 4-position chip, 3.5" Hypermax downpipe, 4" Airflow exhaust, Dieselsite's BRV, Husky lo-profile toolbox, Reunel front "Import Mauler/Chevy repair kit-gotta do my part to clean-up America" DYNO'D 1 October-308.8 RWHP, 620.1 RWTQ!!...see her here www.cardomain.com/id/rattlinford
RattlinFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had a '94 with the 6.5 and had the symptoms you are describing twice. Both times it was a warning that my injection pump was on the way out. The fuel system on those engines are very touchy and tend to go out every 100k-150k. Too much kero in the winter and they die and any form of water and they stop working as well. When it gets bad enough, it will usually spit out a code something like "fuel injection pulse width short". I don't remember the number for it but it is a definite sign. If you need a new pump, it is probably worth taking a sample from the bottom of your tank and cleaning out the entire fuel system if necessary. Good luck.

Truck:'96 Dodge 2500. Cummins diesel. 5 speed. 192k. BHAF. KDP tabbed. Centerforce clutch. Silencer ring removed. Isspro EGT, Boost and fuel pressure gauges. Powertrax locker. BFG All Terrain TA's. Radios galore.
ericcklem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

FSD/PMD, little black box on the side of the pump. Normally the pumps are fine and they get prematurely changed due to a bad FSD/PMD. They make it very hard to start and stall frequently. Also check your lift pump, the oil pressure switch that activates the lift pump is a royal PITA. Try the dieselplace, they are geared towards the GM and you will get straight answers not trade it in.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

I have a 6.5L with over 180,000 miles on the clock with the original injection pump and injectors, my pump is mechanical and does not have the "PMD/FSD"....I use Power Service with nearly all my fill-ups, and when I don't I notice a smokey start or rougher idle.

Add a bottle of Power Service to your next tank.
Check lift pump operation.
If the problem is only during cold starts it could be related to the glow plugs or glow relay.
If the problem occurs when the engine is warm look to the FSD...
For more ideas go here: www.thedieselpage.com

Chris

Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned by Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD 4X4...
MY GALLERY
Tough_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. I don't think it's the fuel pump, as it was changed right before I bought the truck 6 months ago. Pardon the ignorance, but what is the FSD/PMD, and what is it's function and price? Also, as to the lift pump, how much would the oil pressure switch cost? Thanks!
Enigma7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Try the dieselplace, there is a lot of good info over there. The FSD/PMD is what energizes the fuel solonoid to control fuel flow to the injectors(not the cut-off solonoid). It is a rather failure prone device in the stock location(the side of the injection pump gets pretty hot), but when properly remote mounted they hold out alot better. The OPS controls the lift pump and is another highly prone failure item but are fairly cheap to relace(less than $50), alot of PMD/FSD failures are also due to bad OPS. As you can see from my sig I drive one, and have went through alot of the 6.5 downfalls. And I have also made the upgrades to make it more reliable, and I now have no problems jumping in it and taking off on a 1,000 mile trip at any time. Got to the http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php and ask your questions over there under the 6.5 section. It is sort of a self regulating forum and alot of very helpful and knowledgeable people(just follow the welcome notes and update your sig as soon as you register).
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

The OPS (oil pressure switch) sends power to the fuel lift pump that is mounted on the driver's side fram rail underneath the cab. When the OPS fails, the lift pump stops operating, causing hard starts, stalling, and poor acceleration. You can check the fuel pump itself by placing the transmission in drive, and turning the key to 'start.' This will not engage the starter, but will engage the fuel pump. You should be able to hear it. Then go ahead and start the engine and place your hand on the fuel pump...you should be able to feel it operating. If not, leave the engine running, and then open the fuel bleeder valve at the front of the engine. The engine should stay running and fuel should be squirting out the drain hose. If the engine dies, the lift pump is not working. Replace the OPS.

There are mods available to prevent this from occuring again (common problem on the Chevy trucks). I suggest www.thedieselpage.com for more information.

Another problem associated with the OPS is that the lift pump is supposed to send fuel through the IP and back to the tank, helping to cool the IP and the FSD= fuel solenoid driver, the little black box mounted on the driver's side of the IP. This is basically the brain of the electronic IP. If the lift pump has been non-functioning for some time, it can cause an early death for the FSD.

I had to replace the OPS and FSD on my '95 when I bought it. I upgraded the OPS with an aftermarket relay harness, and relocated the new FSD to a heatsink mounted off the engine. Now it's very reliable.

Casey
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton converted to 6.2L TURBO DIESEL, bored .040" over, 6.5L pump, turbo injectors, DSG timing gears, lowered compression w/ceramic-coated pistons, 17 lbs of boost....4 speed auto, custom built 4" exhaust, 4.10's, keyless entry, etc. etc....See my photos
arveetek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

1997 gmc bucking/hesitating after driving around for awhile

I got a 1997 gmc with 115,000 miles on it its diesel and have 8 cylinders with 6.5 liter engine.. the fuel injector pump had been recalled back when we bought it and it was replaced a few times and gave us some problems for a few years after we bought it but has been fine since.....

last year after filling up 1 day at hess, i started having problems and suspected the tank had crap or w.e inside of it after filling up because the fuel filter we replaced had lots of particles and stuff...

anyway, yesterday i finally had nice weather to install a new tank, new filler neck, new inline fuel pump and all and everything went well and seemed to work fine today..

the inside of the tank was loaded with crap and stuff so it was overall at least a good idea to of replaced the tank and all drove around today to test it and refuel the tank and stuff and maybe half hour or so after that i had some hiccups and rough riding for a bit and 1 stall but the last 10 mins of driving home it was fine.. i didn't get a chance to replace the fuel filter yet and have plans to do so as well so i have no idea how dirty that might be...

I was hoping i had fixed my problem but i guess i didn't

reading a lot of the comments here and around and all so hoping to hear what might be the problem and how hard is it to repair myself?
wthrmn654 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.