2.2l Perkins Diesel (1983 Mazda Truck) ????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2.2l Perkins Diesel (1983 Mazda Truck) ?????

This truck has around 180000 miles on it. The problem is it want crank fast enough to start. Had the pump and injectors checked (rebuilt a few years ago) and they work. Took the starter and had it checked at a starter rebuild place and they said it worked. If I take the glow plugs out the engine turns over somewhat pretty good, but when I put them back in it is a slow crank (Injectors lines currently unhooked.) I took the belt off the alternator to lessen resistance and used a diesel tractor that starts good and used heavy jumper cables from it to the battery cables to try and get it to turn over faster. It has a 5 speed manual transmission and the clutch was held in while trying to crank. I checked compression even as slow as it was cranking and all cylinders showed from 375+ and it hasn't been started in a while. The last time I had it started it ran great, but as soon I as turned it off it was a slow crank. Wonder what could be causing it to be so tight or hard to crank?
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red

Last edited by jltrent; 04-25-2012 at 09:59 PM.
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,573
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just like on our rigs - bench testing the starter is next to useless. A lot of starter motors will spin on the bench but don't have the oomph to spin a diesel. If you are sure your batteries are fully charged and the cables are all good, clean, and tight - then I'd replace the starter motor.
__________________
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 368
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did the shop just spin test the starter or load test it? A spin test is nearly useless, as RT said. They should have put it in a test stand that will energize it and then bring it down nearly to a stall to check the amperage draw. That's the only way to really test it. If your battery and cables are good then chances are they didn't load test the starter, otherwise it should crank OK. Perkins is owned by Caterpillar, in case you need a parts source.
1693ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1693ta View Post
Did the shop just spin test the starter or load test it? A spin test is nearly useless, as RT said. They should have put it in a test stand that will energize it and then bring it down nearly to a stall to check the amperage draw. That's the only way to really test it. If your battery and cables are good then chances are they didn't load test the starter, otherwise it should crank OK. Perkins is owned by Caterpillar, in case you need a parts source.
I bet they didn't load test it. I will call them and see if they can do this. Thanks for the info. Where in this great country could someone maybe find a starter (reconditioned) to fit this. If I have to go through Cat I might just as well sell it for scrap metal as I bet it would cost a war pension Thanks again.
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red

Last edited by jltrent; 04-18-2012 at 02:12 PM.
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found this on Amazon.Com and went ahead and ordered it. I will know in a few days if I wasted my money or not. The last time I had it started it ran perfect, but could never get it to turn over fast enough to get it back started and that has been a few years ago. The truck would get around 40 mpg and that 5 speed would go almost 80 mph. It had good power on the low end , but not much on the top end. The motor number is gb 4.135 which stands for 4 cylinders and 135 cu. in. The engine is simple without the environmental BS on it just like working on an old farm tractor as I have done a lot of that. It has 59 hp and sounds like an old tractor running, pecking around. If I can get it running I will fix it up pretty good as the cattle have been rubbing around it for a while. It doesn't have much rust on it. If I can't get it running then will probably sell for scrap.

Amazon.com: NSA STR-6039 New Import Starter: Automotive Amazon.com: NSA STR-6039 New Import Starter: Automotive
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red

Last edited by jltrent; 04-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 368
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I suggest you take your current starter to a good electrical shop for an overhaul at some point to have for a spare. You'll get a better job then from a parts store exchange. We do that with the starters for the 4-236 Perkins engines we have in a number of our older rollers. Never hurts to have a spare. Perkins can be a bear to start if you have had the fuel system apart. When you put the injector lines back on be sure to bleed them good at the injector.
SW VA, huh? We'll be going thru there on the way to Charlotte for the All Star race in May. If I see an 82 Mazda diesel running around I'll know who it is!
1693ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1693ta View Post
I suggest you take your current starter to a good electrical shop for an overhaul at some point to have for a spare. You'll get a better job then from a parts store exchange. We do that with the starters for the 4-236 Perkins engines we have in a number of our older rollers. Never hurts to have a spare. Perkins can be a bear to start if you have had the fuel system apart. When you put the injector lines back on be sure to bleed them good at the injector.
SW VA, huh? We'll be going thru there on the way to Charlotte for the All Star race in May. If I see an 82 Mazda diesel running around I'll know who it is!
Hope you see me driving it around. Just last week took a CAV injector pump apart for a 3600 Ford tractor and got it back working, it wasn't easy to get it back started though. I know several MF tractors that have the 236 Perkins engine. I live in the very tip of SW Virginia close to the Tri-State Tunnel (KY-TN-VA) is.
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 368
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good luck with your truck.
Used to truck thru your area quite regularly back in the '70's and '80's on my way to the Gulf or the Southwest US. Kingsport was a regular stop also. It's a beautiful part of the country. One of my favorites. We still go to Bristol every other year for the August race.
We used to have some Murphy Diesel gensets that I got parts for from the outfit that now has the rights to the engine. Ditec Diesel in Mulberry, Fla. Fellow named John owns it. Good guy. Last I knew he also was a Perkins dealer, as well as several other makes. 1-888-823-2888
He would probably be a better parts source then Cat or Mazda. Haven't talked to him in some time, but he always treated me fairly.
1693ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the information I may need it as I have a couple tractors with Perkins Engines. I live about an hours drive from Kingsport and there is a used Farm Machinery place right next to the raceway I go to a lot, but during race week they use the area for parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1693ta View Post
Good luck with your truck.
Used to truck thru your area quite regularly back in the '70's and '80's on my way to the Gulf or the Southwest US. Kingsport was a regular stop also. It's a beautiful part of the country. One of my favorites. We still go to Bristol every other year for the August race.
We used to have some Murphy Diesel gensets that I got parts for from the outfit that now has the rights to the engine. Ditec Diesel in Mulberry, Fla. Fellow named John owns it. Good guy. Last I knew he also was a Perkins dealer, as well as several other makes. 1-888-823-2888
He would probably be a better parts source then Cat or Mazda. Haven't talked to him in some time, but he always treated me fairly.
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The old truck was my dads he bought new and passed away in 1995. I know it is not much, but I have always wanted to get it running and back in decent shape if possible. If I could get the engine running good maybe I could find a Ranger or something that it could possibly be put in. I checked the compression, as I have gauges, and it seemed all cylinders were about even and had plenty.
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: burnet,texas
Posts: 165
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you know you can get that starter from napa. change the oil and filter.put the fuel inlet line from lift pump in a bucket of fuel mixed with atf{1qt in 5 gals}to help lubricate fuel system internals.put in at least an 800cca battery.clean and tighten all battery cable AND ground connections.leave fuel lines 1/8 - 1/4 turn loose.if you can get 2 lines spraying it should start when you lock them off...diesel formulation was changed in 94 and again in 07. that engine was designed to run on original form of diesel NEEDS extra additive for lubrication of fuel system.should put additive with lubricity and cetane enhancers in EVERY tank of fuel.goes for ANY diesel built before 94...jd

Last edited by trukdoc; 04-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 109
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As the engine turns over it now sprays diesel out the pump were the injector lines attach. I worked on the truck a few years ago (2003), had the pump rebuilt and injectors checked, but never could get it to crank fast enough to start very often. After spending around $700 on it I decided to cut my losses then. I have more time now and going to try again, i have a starter ordered and will go from there (if that doesn't do the trick then it is ready for the bone yard) If the new starter will turn it over fast then I will drain the tank, fuel filter and try and pump new fuel through the system as it has a hand pump on top of the filter and go from there. The last time I had it running it ran as good as it ever did, just wouldn't crank and couldn't find anybody close to were I live that knew anything about these. I am big on maintenance as I put Power Service and algae additive in every tank full I put in my tractors and 7.3 truck. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukdoc View Post
you know you can get that starter from napa. change the oil and filter.put the fuel inlet line from lift pump in a bucket of fuel mixed with atf{1qt in 5 gals}to help lubricate fuel system internals.put in at least an 800cca battery.clean and tighten all battery cable AND ground connections.leave fuel lines 1/8 - 1/4 turn loose.if you can get 2 lines spraying it should start when you lock them off...diesel formulation was changed in 94 and again in 07. that engine was designed to run on original form of diesel NEEDS extra additive for lubrication of fuel system.should put additive with lubricity and cetane enhancers in EVERY tank of fuel.goes for ANY diesel built before 94...jd
__________________
2002 F-250, PSD, XLT, 4x4, SB, 3.73, 6 speed, x-cab, gooseneck, T-red

Last edited by jltrent; 04-19-2012 at 09:33 AM.
jltrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitrogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 768
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BEFORE you put that new starter on, do a voltage drop test between the positive post on the battery, and the pos post on the starter. then do the same on the negative side. simple test take a set of booster cables and go from the battery to the starter with both of them. i bet it solves your problem
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.