3126 Cat Engine - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3126 Cat Engine

Got a 2000 Freightliner FL80 with a 3126 cat motor. Complaint of a hard start problem. Replaced fuel filter and added injector cleaner to system. Found oil in fuel filter when I went to replace it. What would cause oil to get into the fuel system and how? Any remedies for this? Any help would be much appreciated.
tleisner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
First off, Welcome to TheDieselStop.com!
The injector o-rings are leaking high pressure oil into the fuel rail.
Replace the injector o-rings. That will keep oil out of the fuel, and should cure the hard start problem.

Last edited by Dave Haven; 09-23-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Dave Haven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Response

Thanks for the response Dave. Will be looking to this site for more info.
tleisner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

3126 cat poor running

hope this is the right way, any how here it goes. Engine is in a Sterling truck. Codes 164-11 injection control pressure problem and 164-00 erratic injection control pressure. Have replaced injectors, huei pump, and pressure sensor. During test performed, with gauge installed in oil rail and laptop connected at idle, gauge will read 2000 to 3000 pressure, but laptop display will read 1450 and diag will also display. Engine runs but has no power. Have checked wiring harness for damage but not harness to ecm. Any thoughts would be helpful.
cenrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
Oil in the fuel is injector O-rings with out question. The codes you have back that up.

Pull all 6 injectors and replace the injector O rings. Check the injector cups for coolant seepage buy pressurizing the system and visually inspecting for coolant leaking around the press fit injector cups.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenrep View Post
hope this is the right way, any how here it goes. Engine is in a Sterling truck. Codes 164-11 injection control pressure problem and 164-00 erratic injection control pressure. Have replaced injectors, huei pump, and pressure sensor. During test performed, with gauge installed in oil rail and laptop connected at idle, gauge will read 2000 to 3000 pressure, but laptop display will read 1450 and diag will also display. Engine runs but has no power. Have checked wiring harness for damage but not harness to ecm. Any thoughts would be helpful.
I am assumeing you have just replaced all the components you have listed in the above quote trying to fix this problem? What year is the engine.Does it have The External mounted Injection pressure regulator On the Pump?What kind of software are you useing is it CAT ET ? If so you should be able to go to special tests in the drop down diagnostic menu.Run the Inj pressure Step up test and Monitor actual pressure VS demand.If you are getting 3000 psi out of a Rail port at Idle with a external gauge The IPR is wide open.It seems The ICP sensor is telling the ECM it is only seeing the 1450 psi you describe,With the engine off,Turn the Ign. key back on.Then pull the plug off the ICP sensor,Give the laptop a few seconds and it should throw a High voltage code or Open for the sensor.If not check the voltage with a voltmeter at the plug should be 5 volts.This is just a quick way to see if the ECM is responding to the circuit.If you want to pm me with more info we may be able pin this down but, I need to know a few more specifics on what else you have checked if possible.

Last edited by grounder; 11-25-2008 at 02:42 AM.
grounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

dualie is right replace injector o rings change motor oil clear codes and fire it up
87LT500R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.