318 Detroit ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
318 Detroit ?

I'm thinking about buying a 71 Ford L9000 with a 318 Detroit. What kind of things should I look for.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
94 Ram 3500 4x4, r/cab, NV4500 alum fb, work in progress
87 M-B 300D, turbo, custom 3" exh
lots of old diesel iron and gas M-B's
nberchem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
Ear plugs!

their usually pretty reliable but don't expect to pass anyone often.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Right, earplugs for sure. Years back I drove a lo-bed, then later a logging truck both with 318s. They were good reliable workhorses and gave no more trouble than any other engine at the time. Of course nowdays come tune-up time you might have to do some searching to find a guy that can set the rack correctly. The trucks I drove both had 5 speeds with 4 speed Brownies so with all the gears they both stayed up with the other engines of the day, Cummins 335's mostly. If I was in the market and the engine was in good shape I'd sure go for one without much hesitation.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to WormDrowner
A cheap place to purchase motor oil & a big stack of rags to mop up the leaks..........
“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. And there's an opening convey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner.” John Steinbeck

1996 F-250 XLT Supercab 7.3 PSD with Edge Evolution, MBRP 4" exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake. Isspro Gauges. "Ol' Black"

2011 F-350 XLT Crew Cab SRW 6.7 PSD 4x4
WormDrowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
FWIW I did the rack on one with Hank's advice and I did not find it very difficult at all; it ran just fine when we fired it up. I think it's made out to be more than it is, but I can definitely see with all the adjustments and what things can go wrong, the potential for disaster is high if you are not careful.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

The 2 cycle engine is a screamer for sure. However that said the non turbo engine's ran forever. The only real drawback nowdays is the available of parts. The parts are out there, a lot of aftermarkets are avalable also. Any particular questions?
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had two 318's and as long as they are repaired by a mechanic that knows about them they run forever. I had one that I had to start with ether in July but it kept on running. Just know that they are loud, you need to keep them wound up tight (1900 to 2400 rpm's) The torque is at higher rpms. Also be sure to fill the oil when you check the fuel lol. I always used straight 30 or 40 wieght oil. My old boss told me one time "you have to drive it like you are mad at it" and he was right. In answer to your question though if it chacks out good I would buy it.
jsteng230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.