4.5 V-6 powerstroke? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4.5 V-6 powerstroke?

Anyone heard of one?

1997 F-250HD Reg. Cab 4X4 PSD "The Stroker", ZF5, 4.10, LUK Clutch Conversion, Coolant Filter, John Deere Coolant Eye, Custom Open Air Intake, 3" to 4" DP, 4" Straight Exhaust, Gutted EBPV, 4 Position Wildman Chip, Bully Dog Boost/Pyro, HPO Crossover Line, Amsoil Bypass Filter, All Amsoil Fluids, Cali. FPR, High Voltage IDM, Upgraded Headlight Harness, Scosche Remote Starter, Add-a-leafs in the front, One Ton springs in the rear, Owned Since 08/20/2004

AMSOIL.COM

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Fireman87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4.5 V-6 powerstroke?

i drove one...they r available only in the LCF (low cab forward) model...they came out late 05 as a MY05 or MY06...would be a nice option if it was available in the f-series and certainly in an e-series...if i am not mistaken it is just a 6.0l without two cylinders but havent heard too many complaints about them but there are not too many people who own them on this site
someday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

I saw a bunch sitting on the side of the road last winter, but none recently.

I figured it would be a nightmare like the f-body, but I guess not.

The twin set-up looks intersting.

I mignt investigate a repower for my 96 in a few years.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

This is supposedly the engine Ford was going to put in the F-150 back in 2003, but didn't. Instead they pulled out of the R&D phase and left International with a $30 million worth of red tape in the process. International had to sue Ford to get the money. Now the 4.5L is in Ford's LCF delivery trucks. It is a 6.0L with 2 cylinders hacked off.

Now Ford is talking about putting a 4.4L diesel sourced from Land Rover (which Ford owns) in the F-150. Too bad Ford didn't get off it's duff and put the 4.5L in an F-150 back in 2003. A half ton truck that gets close to 25 mpg and none of the new emission stuff that is going on 2008 models. Oh well, Ford was swimming in lot of red ink back then. Come to think about it, they still are.
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 0
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 4/15/2010)

The United States Constitution 1791, All Right Reserved.
hitecdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

"Oh well, Ford was swimming in lot of red ink back then."
Unfortunately, that's not all they're swimming in.
The last I heard was it might be 2011 before Ford gets a
diesel in their large SUV's. They timing might be the
same on their F150 trucks if they do them both at the same
time. Word has it, GM will be putting a diesel in their large
SUV's by 2009. That would put Ford late to the party
again. They've made a legacy out of throwing whatever
advantage they have away. Every once in a while Ford shocks
with innovation and good lead time. It's too bad they
they tend to rest on their laurels instead of staying on
the offense. The orientals see business as war, we still
haven't figured that out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed.
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod installed. Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

My local dealer told me last week that this or a similar V6 diesel will be announced as early as next spring and will be available in the F150 and the Expedition.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

"My local dealer told me last week that this or a similar V6 diesel will be announced as early as next spring and will be available in the F150 and the Expedition."
I sure do hope you're right. The 2011 number is what the
plant had been told when the question was asked of them. Maybe
they did this took keep competitors in the fog? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed.
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod installed. Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.