4.5L Powerstroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4.5L Powerstroke

Found this in Motor Trend.

Spied: 2007 Ford Super Duty
Better late, than never.

Delayed due to Ford's financial constraints, the heavy-duty workhorse truck range is ultimately destined to receive major changes for 2007. This Crew Cab longbed 1-ton version sports a single rear wheel; word around the office says this vehicle is being tested with a new, smaller V-6 4.5-liter turbodiesel sourced from International, promising improved fuel economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)
Re: 4.5L Powerstroke

Ford is already using this engine in it LCF trucks and International in it's CF series trucks.

Why would Ford put a 4.5L PSD in the Super Duty when a new version of the 6.0L is in the works. The buzz I've been hearing is Ford may consider putting the 4.5L in a F-150 and the vehicle that is suppose to replace the Excursion.
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 0
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 9/17/2014)

The United States Constitution 1791, All Right Reserved.
hitecdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

it will all depend on if they can meet the emissions requirements coming up.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

An interesting thing I noticed when I was on the International website. I was looking at the CF500 and CF600 trucks which use the VT275 (4.5L powerstroke). They are mating it with Ford's 5 speed Torqshift automatic. They don't show a manual transmission as an option either.

Engine ratings are: 200 HP at 2700 RPM and 440 ft/lbs at 1850 RPM

** SOLD with 80,300 miles ** 2003.25 (Feb. 14, 2003 build) F350 Crew Cab 4x4 XLT, 6.0
unmguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

[ QUOTE ]
it will all depend on if they can meet the emissions requirements coming up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4.5L is a 6.0L engine with the two front cylinders cut off. So I don't think emissions is the issue. Ford sales a lot of F-150s and the average trade in is 3 to 4 years. In other words, F-150 owners are buying a new truck every 3 to 4 years. Drop a diesel in an F-150 and that average trade in may now got out to 5 or 6 years. Ford has already put the 4.5L in a F-150 as test mules. The question is do they want to sale it in that configuration and maybe loose some new sales down the line. Market pressure will force them to. Dodge and Cummins are working on a modular V6-V8 configuration diesel engine that could be used in a 1/2-ton truck. Nissan and Toyota are also looking to add a diesel option to their truck line too.
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 0
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 9/17/2014)

The United States Constitution 1791, All Right Reserved.
hitecdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
Ford is already using this engine in it LCF trucks and International in it's CF series trucks.

Why would Ford put a 4.5L PSD in the Super Duty when a new version of the 6.0L is in the works. The buzz I've been hearing is Ford may consider putting the 4.5L in a F-150 and the vehicle that is suppose to replace the Excursion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told that you will never see the 4.5L in any other vehicle than the LCF, one because if emissions and two, it was deemed too heavy to be practical in a lighter truck. I would say that if the engine is being used on test mules, it's probably to test exhaust scrubbers and particulate filters and the feasibility of such a set up. If, but more than likely "when" you see a diesel in the lighter duty trucks it will be a different power plant altogether. If Ford and International hadn't parted ways on the project back in 2002 you might have been seeing a smaller diesel in the lighter duty trucks by now. Perhaps Ford may be taking a 2nd look at the 4.5L but I still don't think it will happen. I would be patient. There are a lot of manufacturers struggling with emissions and unfortunately the cost of meeting the federal emissions standards for 2007 is proving to be costly. The next several years could be interesting for sure. I am betting that in North America in the next 5 years you will be seeing more diesels offered and a big push toward hybrid technology.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think that is why they are looking at producing there own 4.5 so the get the weight down. Plus changing it to a v8.

We will all find out soon enough.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
Nissan and Toyota are also looking to add a diesel option to their truck line too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nissan and Toyota already have awesome turbo diesels overseas. I have a friend in New Zealand w/a late model Toyota p/u who LOVES his 3L turbo diesel. He says it is comparable in power to my V6 Tacoma. And his fuel economy was double mine.

The Jeep Liberty got a diesel option this year and they can't keep'em on the lots. I haven't heard anything bad about it - yet! The late model VW diesels are also very popular.

If the little diesels end up as durable as the big ones (are supposed to be), there will be more.

2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges on pillar - EGT, Boost, Fuel Press., HPO Press. - No Muffler, AIH delete, SB Con OFE, AC code injctrs (160cc), T4/S366 turbo. Vegistroke-inspired WVO system w/180,000 trouble-free miles! BTS tunes, 203 t-stat w/billet housing, '07 grill/lites and big, bad front bumper!

2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited - BTS trans and tunes, AIS, Frybrid/V3 SVO conversion 120k VO miles - wrecked 4/13, RIP...

That's 300k miles on SVO between them!

veggiegarage.com autorized installer
airfooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Only bad thing about the liberty diesels I have heard besides no std tranny option is the milage isnt as good as it should be.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.