4 Cyl Diesel? cummins 4BT? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 Cyl Diesel? cummins 4BT?

hey, im new here and looking for a little help... i really like Diesels and i have 2 ford rangers... one is a 93 and one is a 84... i would like to re do my 84 from ground up and put a 4 cyl diesel in to it... i saw some stuff on the Cummins 4BT but i wasnt sure how well it would work and what trans set ups it would use... i found a post on here from 05 on it and they said there was a set up where they used a TH350 GM trans in it? be like in a ups truck? I'm open to any diesel motor... i would like it to be a turbo and not super rare.. something some what cheap as well... any other tips or thoughts please chime in and say them...

thanks.
mornin151 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd think a VW TDI would be a good choice assuming the electrical could be figured out.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
There was a 2.3-liter turboDiesel factory option in the 1980s. If you can find the parts, this is the most straightforward swap as all the engineering & design has already been done for you.

A 4-cylinder, 4-stroke Diesel engine has a LOT of torque ripple - much more than a gas engine of the same net torque output. You can't casually swap a gas engine out and a Diesel engine in without re-engineering the clutch/flywheel/harmonic damper/torque converter/et al.

If you're going to go to the effort of swapping transmissions, why select a 3-speed non-lockup non-overdrive THM350 when 4-speed lockup overdrive transmissions exist?

With or without an overdrive, you'll need a different final drive ratio - you definitely don't want to be cruising at 3000 rev/min. You'll probably also want something beefier than the stock 7.5-inch axle.

A 4BT is heavy. You'll need to change the front springs, and then you'll need to change the front shocks.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 10-18-2009 at 02:59 PM.
drcampbell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

and...

box the frame, figure out how to have more verical rise in your engine compartment.
Having driven approx 375,000 miles with two separate 4X4 Rangers (1986 1994), I am a real fan of these trucks.
This will be not much harder than an early Bronco swap or a Jeep swap.
Good candidates IF you use a 4 wheeler chassis.
BTW: 4bt cummins engines can be found with FORD, DODGE and Chebby running gear.

http://www.myspace.com/trustingheartaz featuring
4 more original songs...one traditional standard (Fields Have Turned Brown).

Now fighting the big Kidney Cancer, Stage IV.
Prayers, attitude and the Mayo Clinic!
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

i know the diesel is alot more weight but i just like the... the ealry perkins are hard to find and harder to find one with a turbo on it... i thought about the VW's and a Marcidaes.. Sp.. but wasnt really sure how i would mount that motor on to a trans and t-case...

where are some good plasces to look for motors... i havnt had much time to look on here...

hey biblo have any pics of it? i want to see them both... i dont know what ranger to do it to... the 84 or the 93...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check out these couple articles. I've never done a swap like that but sure would like to someday maybe and a ranger would definately be a sweet ride with a diesel in it.

1998 Ford Ranger Cummins - Custom Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine Cummins Diesel Engine Swap - Cummins 4BT - Diesel Power Magazine
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan27 View Post
Check out these couple articles. I've never done a swap like that but sure would like to someday maybe and a ranger would definately be a sweet ride with a diesel in it.

1998 Ford Ranger Cummins - Custom Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine Cummins Diesel Engine Swap - Cummins 4BT - Diesel Power Magazine

hey, i saw that yellow one... i just found it left me kinda asking questions... didnt really say too much on the work involved with it...

i didnt see the other one though... im gonna have to read that later on... thanks for the tip...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok is there anyone out there that has one of these in a truck right now? i just want some Dims of it... thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

do yoju think that this 4bt will fit in my 1990 yota pickup? whats the model name of the 3.3?
Erik_dt2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

It seems to me that I read somewhere the the 4 banger cummins weighs about as much as a chev 350. so basically I would say do the front end like yours setting up to do a V8 swap. There are plenty of rangers out there with 302's
2007 Yamaha YFZ450, to go where the Bronco cant
2002 Ford F-350 7.3, CC, LB, auto everything, 315/75/16 with level kit only, Torador Red, BIG RED
B-rad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.