6.6/4.4 Caterpillar ACERT engines - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.6/4.4 Caterpillar ACERT engines

Read the note about "personal vehicles"!!!

Notes for 6.6/4.4 Caterpillar ACERT engines.

This information is subject to change and must be verified with current appropriate service literature from Caterpillar.

- Power (120-250 HP 6.6), to weight (1116 lbs. for the 6.6) ratio.
- Power to size ratio, will fit into many applications.- Generation, industrial, trucks, buses, personal vehicles, 330 ex and smaller, D6 dozer and smaller, pavers, loaders etc…
- Improved fuel consumption
- The engines while initially based on the “Perkapillar” are in fact engineered in North America, U.K. (Perkins), and Japan (MHI).
- EPA certified
- 6.6 litre Caterpillar = Perkins Vista 1106D
- ECM needs to see 5000 PSI of fuel pressure and 250 RPM of cranking speed before it will allow the engine to start.
- 6.4 litre and 4.2 litre variations are in development.
- A person to person conversation can be held with engine running and no muffler installed within 10 feet of the engine. Cylinder block webbing, oil pan tray/isolator plate, and engineered harmonics cancel out excessive noise.
- Pistons are Teflon coated
- Cylinder walls are “plateau honed” meaning that after the first hone a second honing is performed to level off tips at the top of the cross hatch. This allows for better ring seal and less oil in grove of cross hatch to get burned/create emissions.
- 2007 engine will have 10 micron fuel filter.
- Engine will self prime and start with a completely empty fuel system within one minute of cranking.
- 6.6 fuel pump has two sections with three lobes per section. 4.4 has two sections with two lobes per section. Both are timed to reduce harmonics/pulsing in the high pressure fuel system.
- Injectors can be removed by loosening the intake rocker set screw and sliding the rocker over for access. There is no need to remove the rocker assembly or pull out the pushtube.
- Fuel system “optimize” Routine will run approx every 100 hours causing audible changes. This is a normal operation of the ECM and does not indicate a problem with the engine.
worb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: 6.6/4.4 Caterpillar ACERT engines

[ QUOTE ]
Read the note about "personal vehicles"!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. I would love to see a 4.4L in a personal vehicle. They are pretty cool 'little' engines that would work great in a 1/2 ton truck, but they do weigh quite a bit. I have worked with them first hand and seen some of the numbers they can produce. Pretty impressive.

...danny
20' H&H Speedloader MX Tiltbed Trailer
Bilstein shocks(BE5-6208 front, BE56209 rear) $259.80 to my door.
AllAboutJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
Re: 6.6/4.4 Caterpillar ACERT engines

i will take two of each please. I think that 4.4L would be an awesome little motor in a slightly up graded ranger.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.