8.2 Detroit Diesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8.2 Detroit Diesel

Anybody know how to get more power form a Detroit 8.2? I like the truck, the engine is way under powered. It is in a Medium duty truck. What about propane injection? I know you can not play with the boost!
HELP PLEASE ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 8.2 Detroit Diesel

Wait a couple weeks till it blows up then drop something different under the hood.... Like a DT466, maybe an 8.3 Cum-a-part. I assume it's in an F-series Ford..... They had their own Ford engine for a few years.... may be an easier install.... all factory parts.... it's not a raging POWERHOUSE but a decent durable engine according to most here. I've never run one..... but I suffered with an 8.2 for a year or so.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Wait a couple weeks till it blows up then drop something different under the hood.... Like a DT466, maybe an 8.3 Cum-a-part. I assume it's in an F-series Ford..... They had their own Ford engine for a few years.... may be an easier install.... all factory parts.... it's not a raging POWERHOUSE but a decent durable engine according to most here. I've never run one..... but I suffered with an 8.2 for a year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is acctually in a GMC 7000. Another new engine just might be the answer. Maybe then I can get a an auto trans too! The reason I like the truck is because of the hours put into making it a crew cab with a custom bed. There is not another one out there.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

It is acctually in a GMC 7000. Another new engine just might be the answer. Maybe then I can get a an auto trans too! The reason I like the truck is because of the hours put into making it a crew cab with a custom bed. There is not another one out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you put that much work in the body, then for sure loose the 8.2! I'm sure the fuel economy is ok, but they're dogs. You can turn up the fuel on some years, but it's hardly noticeable. I'll second the 466(or even a DT360), or a Cummins 8.3. Even a Cat 3208 is way better than the 8.2's.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pull the 8.2L out, pull a piston, slip a 50' pc of 1" grade 100 alloy chain through the cylinder and give it to a barge owner. It'll find a nice resting place at the bottom of a harbor.
IBUILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

i love it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] i hate those engines.
2000 f250 4x4 lariate woodland green metalic and gold on the bottom.sharp looking super cab.100,000 miles .air heater mod,CCV mod,zoodad,80 econo DP tuner PCM ,cranked doun stock waste gate,cubie hole type gauge pod,k@n replacement filter.sonax/tricumulator, map sensor pop off valve,boost tube,BTM ,code eliminators ,wiked wheel,EBPV deleat ,hp oil cross over feul presure shimed and gauge, Heater core hose bypass valve .Wet Okole seat covers with Powerstroke logo ,.home made donaldson intake in the works parts on order.mounting bracket and 45* silicone elbo.piss on this homemade thing it will never be as good as the AFE stage II.thats what i'll get next.i am curently running my stock air box
WUNDERHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

The 8.2 is notorious for blowing head gaskets, especially the turbo charged version. Anything that increases cylinder pressure will increase the probability of blowing a head gasket. It is an inherent design problem. There are four bolts around each cylinder and they do not provide the clamping pressure necessary. DD did an interim fix of upgrading the size and strength of the head bolts but it was not sufficient to correct the basic problem. I speak from experience, I had many, many of these in a city delivery fleet. A four gas emissions analyzer probe in the radiator above the fluid level gave an instant confirmation of combustion gasses in the coolant, a sure sign of a blown head gasket.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fleet man is close to most of the problem. Others are closer. First of all the cylinders area 'free floating 'design. This meaning that the upper part of the cylinder walls were touching each other but NOT the upper part of the block. This is why the head gaskets give out. Vibration. The 'fix' was heavier gaskets and a larger diameter head bolt. POS. They came in 3 basic HP. 170 natural style, 205 hp turbo engine, 230 hp turbo engine also.
Next item is to discuss an alternative engine. Just don't ask. Get a repower. The parts are really scarce as they quit making the engine 10 years ago and the reman engines have been exhausted. There are 2 builders but they are charging a premium for engines and parts.
If you love the truck, get a real engine. Why should I know, I still have to work on them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Put me down for the 466 repower vote.

I had some 8.2s when they were a lot closer to new, and they were a compact, economical engine, but it seems they were out of the trucks almost as much as in. Also had a 466 in exactly the same service. Bought it from a junkyard as a miled-out milk truck, ran it for a couple of years (1,000+ mile road trip weekly, grossed out), never did wear it out or break it. Actually, I still have it. Most reliable engine you can imagine, and super-cheap to rebuild.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am still confussed. The 8.2T has 205hp and 430 torque. The DT466 has 210hp and 513 torque. The 3208 cat has 215hp and 625 torque. (these numbers are from a 1987 book)What am I missing? These do not seem like that much more power. Am I more interested in hp or torque for pulling a trailer? I have discovered that this truck did have a 3208 cat option. I have heard the cat is very expensive to repair. Will any of these motors give me a significant amount of increased power? Will my mileage suffer badly? Can any of these motors be increased in power and have exhaust brakes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Also I have access to a 1993 7.3 with a c6 w/ overdrive. Will this be a choice. (the 7.3 could be bumped up?)I now have a 5 & 2 speed.will the auto loose me power? I was thinking The rear could be put in wich ever range suits ahead of time. I am not sure what kind of power the 7.3 makes! This truck weighs 11.000 lbs plus the trailer.
HEATGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I am still confussed. The 8.2T has 205hp and 430 torque. The DT466 has 210hp and 513 torque. The 3208 cat has 215hp and 625 torque. (these numbers are from a 1987 book)What am I missing? These do not seem like that much more power.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're partially correct. The DT466 (pre electronic) can be had up to 270HP and 750ftlbs There are 6 or 7 different power levels with the DT466 depending on the year. At Cat 3208 was available with more HP, too, with 635 ft lbs it'll pull a hell of a lot more weight easily than 430.

[ QUOTE ]
" Am I more interested in hp or torque for pulling a trailer?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately torque. Both the options given to you have lots more TQ than a 8.2L "fuel pincher".

[ QUOTE ]
" I have discovered that this truck did have a 3208 cat option. I have heard the cat is very expensive to repair. Will any of these motors give me a significant amount of increased power?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, both will. Since a 3208 was an optional diesel and still pretty well available at truck & salvage yards, it may be a better choice. I like a DT466 much better, but there might be some clearance issues. i guess you have to decide how much you want to spend on this project. I'm guessing a nice running 3208 turbo might be your best choice. 3208's are more expensive to repair than a DT466. If this will be an occassional use truck, the 3208 would live a long life.

[ QUOTE ]
" Will my mileage suffer badly? Can any of these motors be increased in power and have exhaust brakes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mileage may suffer. The 8.2L was nicknamed the "fuel pincher" because it was made to run economically. However, i don't know if the 8.2L ever lived up to that reputation. Based on its' power level, it should burn less fuel, but I'm not sure.

[ QUOTE ]
" Also I have access to a 1993 7.3 with a c6 w/ overdrive. Will this be a choice. (the 7.3 could be bumped up?)I now have a 5 & 2 speed.will the auto loose me power? I was thinking The rear could be put in wich ever range suits ahead of time. I am not sure what kind of power the 7.3 makes! This truck weighs 11.000 lbs plus the trailer. "

[/ QUOTE ] I'd guess the 7.3L would be better than the 8.2L, but a 3208 or DT466 were REAL serious medium duty engines found in everything from your size truck up to a triaxle. You won't find a 7.3L in anything bigger than 35,000 GVWR. Not sure if a C-6 is an ideal choice for a heavier single axle truck. Might want to look at an allison or a Eaton Fuller or DanaSpicer medium duty trans.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I suspect that the Cummins C8.3/ISC would be the best choices. I have an old F series with a fuel pincher too and have been mulling this over. The C was offered in later model F-series (after about '90 or so) and I suspect they changed little in that time frame and cab-wise so adapters might be available to make it fit more easily. Also, that engine is still manufactured and supported today, while parts on the 8.2 have dried up, and the 3208 are drying up. The 466 would be a good engine but would probably have to have custom mounts built. But that is not a real big deal. I know the state forestry here got sick and tired of their Mack/Renault engines breaking and repowered a Mack Midliner with a mechanical C8.3, 250HP. That would be a very similar sort of project. Governments are generally very leary about doing that sort of thing at all so the fact that they chose to do it is impressive to me.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

run her till she pukes,then stick a 3208 in it.most likely your trucks got lower gears in the rear,most 8.2 trucks i have owned or came across were this way.the 466 is the best of the lot,but will likely be a harder swap,and run a lower governed speed[around 2700 rpms]the cats were good for 3000,memory servers me the 8.2 went to 3200.the cats a good engine and has gobs of low end trq..
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

You can adjust the 3208 so it does 3200rpm(no load) and that's as high as they need to go. You can get a 466 to go to 3200 also, with a gov spring kit(about $150) for a 94-98 Dodge Cummins.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody know how to get more power form a Detroit 8.2? I like the truck, the engine is way under powered. It is in a Medium duty truck. What about propane injection? I know you can not play with the boost!
HELP PLEASE ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a GMC dump with a 8.2L. What a powerhouse! A whopping 165HP from 500 cubic inches. Talk about HP/litre!!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.