The Diesel Stop banner

8.2 L Detroit Diesel

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gone Fishen 
#1 ·
I have purchased a 1986 trolley bus with 8.2L diesel engine, asperated with a Allison 545 RM transmission also it has Rockwell International differentional with a 586 gear ratio. The trolley is a GMC school chassic that the body is mounted on with 10R-22.5 tires mounted front and rear. The problem I'm having with the bus is at about 45mph to 60mph the rpm are so high you can't even hear people when they talk.
The transmission will shift thought 1-2-3-4th is done shifting at 40 mph at 55-60 mph sounds like the engine is going to blow up because of high rpm also at this speed you let off the accelerator the engine will pull the bus down in speed right away its like the engine is working all the time. The trolley when it came from the factory it had a 8.2L with turbo, the company that had it before me change engines because the engine blow up.
The problem I have is I have never owned a 8.2L engine so I don't know if this is normal. By not putting the turbo engine back in the bus did this mess up the gear ratio Is their fix to this problem.

#2 ·
First problem is the engine. It is junk. I know but truth hurts, should have the turbo engine because you are underpowered. However having seen other brands trolly's and worked on the engines. 2 things to check. The former company might have blocked the #5 shift out, Check your shifter linkeage so the shifter will allow the linkeage to shift to the D and you have no further detents on the transmission housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.