8.2l mileage...was the guy B'Sing me?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8.2l mileage...was the guy B'Sing me??

At a little gas station in WA coming back from kids, a guy pulls in with a Budget 26' van pulling a 12' u-haul trailer. Said it had an 8.2l in it and he was getting 10-11 mpg, staying under 60 mph.
Seemed like a straight shooter. Could that mileage be accurate?
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 8.2l mileage...was the guy B'Sing me??

yes you can believe it.i had two different trucks with 8.2 engines in them,they were good on power,fair at being reliable,but when it came to fuel mileage they really shined.fact is they were named {fuel pincher}engines by gm ..
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very good MPG but a hog for maintenance.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had 2 wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy back when, in SA grain trucks. 6-10 mpg, 11-12,000 mphg (miles per head gasket). They got swapped for 3208's by the next owner, still running I hear.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

i had one in a 84 GMC 7000, it never carried a load, and got about 13-15. good on power too, that turbo really pulled. but yes, a hog on maintenance, and it's hard to find shops that will do anything with them anymore. even tune ups. local Detroit Diesel shops wanted about $750.00 to set the injectors, idle, rockers, etc.
really big crew cab dually on a 1985 GMC Topkick chassis with Cat 3208, Allison auto trans, and airbrakes. 1955 GMC Scenicruiser bus, 8v-71, Allison 6 speed auto. 1966 GMC 4107 bus, 8v-71, 4 speed spicer/grinder.
biggmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Very good MPG but a hog for maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, shoot, that's disappointing. can the maintenance be done by an average diesel guy? I guess I'm talking up to and including headgaskets.
Dave
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I think the injector setup is the trickiest part. I know I was waiting for mine to get done (heads of course) and the guy said I would have to wait another day, seems his man had not set them up right. Parts are also no longer really available for them, it's hit and miss.

They do use very cheap oil filters though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

One I drove back in the 80's when it was new got about 6-7 mpg as a single axle semi tractor pulling a 45 ft trailer, sometimes grossing 40,000-50,000#..... Most of the time I drove it, it was "A V-6".... or maybe V-5..... Thing would disappear for a couple days, and run better..... then start dropping cylinders.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

The 8.2 is no longer manufactured. Nor are any reman engines even made. They made a whole bunch 2 years ago and when they are gone they are gone. Parts will be scarce, Best is to repower with something yellow colored. There were 2 major flaws with the 8.2. The cylinder bores were free floating, meaning that the top upmost on the bores were NOT attatched to the sides of the block. This was what caused the head gaskets to fail. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] The other problem was the oil pump. It was a bushing in the front of the engine and it had a tendency to seize. Of course if you could use the o/s bushing then ok. Otherwise a new block was needed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] Just forget it, and get something still being manufactured. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.