855 Cummins - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
855 Cummins

Hello all, new to the board, searching to find a few questions on a Cummins diesel. What is the difference between the Small Cam and the Big Cam? Is a 855 the same block? and is the NTC the same style of motor? I am looking for a Manual to buy for I believe a small cam 350 but do not know when the Big Cams first came in. Thanks for any help
tired iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not positive, but I think the Big Cam I came out in '77 or '78. They say Big Cam on the side of the block.

Nick
nberchem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Several differances between small and big cam. If you mean how can the uninitiated tell which is which, look at the left side of the block, below the pump. A big cam will say just that, BIG CAM cast into the block just under the lifter blocks. also the data plate on the left side of the accessory drive will say what it is. The 855 means 855 cubic inches. both big and small cam were 855 cubic inches, and NTC can be found in both small and big cam. in other words, you will find both 855 cubic inch Small Cam (which will NOT say small cam on it) NTC 300, NTC350 etc.... and 855 cubic inch Big Cam, Big Cam II, Big Cam III and Big Cam VI. There are several differances in parts mounted to both blocks, and most are interchangable. BUT! the blocks are differant, in that one has a cam size used by Cummins for years, and one has a much larger cam bearing diameter. One will not fit the other. The cam follower boxes are differant sizes also.
2005 F-350 CrewCab Lariat, 6.0 Diesel, Automatic Transmission, Shift on the fly 4X4, 3.73 Limited Slip Rear, Dark Toreador Red / Medium Pebble leather, Lariat Luxury Group/With Auto Temp Control, Heated Power Captains chairs, Premium Sound AM/FM 6CD, Camper Package, Rear Stablizer Package W/Heavy Reciever hitch, Tow Command System, Power Rear Slider, Adj Pedals, Reverse Sensors, 18" premium wheels, Viper Liners spray in bed liner, Bremen Composites full flare Runningboards.
Dutchman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1 View Post
Several differances between small and big cam. If you mean how can the uninitiated tell which is which, look at the left side of the block, below the pump. A big cam will say just that, BIG CAM cast into the block just under the lifter blocks. also the data plate on the left side of the accessory drive will say what it is. The 855 means 855 cubic inches. both big and small cam were 855 cubic inches, and NTC can be found in both small and big cam. in other words, you will find both 855 cubic inch Small Cam (which will NOT say small cam on it) NTC 300, NTC350 etc.... and 855 cubic inch Big Cam, Big Cam II, Big Cam III and Big Cam VI. There are several differances in parts mounted to both blocks, and most are interchangable. BUT! the blocks are differant, in that one has a cam size used by Cummins for years, and one has a much larger cam bearing diameter. One will not fit the other. The cam follower boxes are differant sizes also.
Exactly what Dutch said. In addition, the Big Cam has a different injector which provided greater injection pressure and resulted in higher HP.
'04 Excursion EB, 6.0 PS, 4X4, Magnaflow Performance exhaust, Isspro gauges (boost, pyro and tranny), Bilsteins, aFe intake, front and rear leaf spring upgrade w/ bags, 30mm rear sway bar, SCT Xcal2, Red-Head box, Jordan brake controller, Arctic Fox 29V - 20,420# GCW, Everything haulin' me, the wife, the 5 Amigos, Millie and Yogi (our 2 Berners).
Stewey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Question

Thanks for the replies, they have aided me considerably. I knew of the engine stamp of Big cam on the block and the different size camshafts. My concern was the block, which I realized the bore diameter was different but were the parts interchangeable. I was looking at a old cabover and saw the aftercooler and did not state big cam on the block. I did not know if the small cams came with a aftercooler or not. Thanks for the help.
tired iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.