855 cummins top stop injectors and valve timing on the BIG CAM - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
855 cummins top stop injectors and valve timing on the BIG CAM

any info on this would be cool i just would like to chew the fat
with someone who knows these motors and has actually timed the injectors with the valves i have the manual but extra input
wouldnt hurt thanks
Trutrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
lww

Re: 855 cummins top stop injectors and valve timing on the BIG CAM

If you're wanting to check "injector timing" , you'll have to locate and use one of the traditional dual dial indicator tools unique to Cummins PT fuel systems. Your manual will no doubt show you this, but one dial registers via a long stem through a removed injector hole the piston position relative to crankshaft rotation, while another registers the push rod travel. Different thicknesses of rocker box gaskets are available to move the low mounted rocker rollers in or out of contact with the cam lobe. One gasket choice has to provide a satisfactory average for two cylinders. If you disturb an old engine to change these, you must pull the housing end plugs to renew the "O" rings. Otherwise leakage is pretty much guaranteed once its all back together again.
If all you want to do is a valve, injector set, then just follow the instructions in your manual. In a nutshell that might be:
a)Remove valve covers and Jake housings(keep in order)
b)Clean gaskets, throw an overhaul kit into Jake housings if high
miles
c)Loosen all rockers, and remove the top rocker housings(for
replacement of rocker shaft "O" rings, same as lower housings.)
Reinstall, torque housings.
d)Follow the valve set info applicable to your engine, but yours
is probably A 1/6, B 2/5, C 3/4 as visible on the accessory
drive pulley. 11 and 23 thou was pretty standard for intake/ ex.
e)Injector values for top stops were something like 6 inch pounds,
but if you can rotate the small link which sits into the top
stop collar with your fingers, your close. The set point is part
of the above pulley points, and the chart will clarify that.
f)Torque Jake heads, you'll have to check adjustment value in your
book (I think it was 18 thou)
If you set your injectors too tight they can fail, too loose and the tips will carbon up.
Good luck,
Lorne
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lorne has it right on except the gaskets that change the timing are on your cam followers not the rocker boxes. If memory serves me correctly for every .007" of gasket it changes timing by .002". Used to have to do this all the time when changing the CPL of the engine during O/H. Don't see much of the big engines any more in our shop though. All class 6-7 engines now, hardly any class 8 come in.
96' F-250 4x4 SB Crewcab, 3.55 gears, rebuilt E4od, Air bags, 2" leveler kit, 10 disc cd changer, Tymar intake, Tymar 4 pos TS chip, 4590 cooler, boost, pyro(pre-turbo) & tranny temp AutoMeter gauges mounted in pillar, Diamond eye 4" exhaust with lost kitty, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Warn hubs, Prodigy brake controller, Hypermax intercooler, CCV mod,17* HPOP, stage 1 injectors, fpr. Rebuilt tranny with pump and valve body mods, 3 disc torque convertor. Diesel mechanic 20+ years

My Pictures
fourhatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Lorne has it right on except the gaskets that change the timing are on your cam followers not the rocker boxes. If memory serves me correctly for every .007" of gasket it changes timing by .002". Used to have to do this all the time when changing the CPL of the engine during O/H. Don't see much of the big engines any more in our shop though. All class 6-7 engines now, hardly any class 8 come in.

[/ QUOTE ]

every .007" changes pushrod travel .0015"-.002" i just happend to have have my notes right here!
1956 F-250 Project Stroke

1996 F-250 Powerstoke Diesel XLT,
open element air filter, H2E turbo, Custom Tranny, 6.0 Charge air cooler, Swamp 175/173 squirts, TW Chip and some other neat stuff.

1999 F-450 4x4 11ft flatbed, soon to have a 6k crane for my mechanic jobs. Bone stock.

2002 F-150 Supercrew daily commuter

WEBSHOTS-->http://community.webshots.com/user/dieselwiezil
-->http://houstonareapowerstrokes.com
DieselWiezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

i bought the tool a long time ago and dont use it much and need to go back to the book to to use it . seems like everything i work on now is a detroit . not that im complaining . but i do know its a pain in the butt to get em set right . and as far as the overhead , i seem to like to set the injectors with the torque wrench at 72 inch lbs on the firing order and recheck that inj two cycles later .
94 f450 superduty, 7.3 idi, factory turbo, e4od trans, 5.13 gears, 14000lbs + across the scales every day of the week, 11'redding utility body, 3 cyl kubota diesel(tied in to truck cooling system)for air compressor , front bumper is 8"x8" square (air tank), 4 group 31s batteries mounted to frame under cab,2 straight stainless pipes pokin up in the air and no muffler(sounds great) now runnin on 100% wvo

2ND IDI
93 F250 XLT 2WD 7.3 IDI E4OD ALL STOCK MORRISON UTILITY BODY 10 horse yanmar diesel on the compressor, batteries relocated to under the the cab on the frame
magyver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Setting the injectors at 72in lbs is using the OBC (outer base circle)method possibly a recipe for disaster. The OBC method as a rule is used on small cam inj, NTC/N14 engines with STC type injectors and N14 Celect. The other method is IBC (inner base circle) used with most L10 and NTC with top stop injectors. Using the wrong overhead set procedure will cause much grief. Post or PM your Engine Serial number if you are unclear on the method you should use or the differences between the setting procedure.
dave1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

i have ran the injectors this way lots of times and like i said i recheck for zero lash two cycles away . what started me doing this in the first place was whin i came across one that the acc drive was not timed corectly . i dialed in the inj and found a starting place . when the drive was pulled at a later date and corrected i rechecked the inj settings to be correct . and yea i know about the stc setup as one time i had a confusing problem following up a repair that was done inhouse at a major leasing company (you gota love them school book mechenics that cant tie their own shoes but have the papers that say their trained and smarter than you are ) . but that was a long time ago .
94 f450 superduty, 7.3 idi, factory turbo, e4od trans, 5.13 gears, 14000lbs + across the scales every day of the week, 11'redding utility body, 3 cyl kubota diesel(tied in to truck cooling system)for air compressor , front bumper is 8"x8" square (air tank), 4 group 31s batteries mounted to frame under cab,2 straight stainless pipes pokin up in the air and no muffler(sounds great) now runnin on 100% wvo

2ND IDI
93 F250 XLT 2WD 7.3 IDI E4OD ALL STOCK MORRISON UTILITY BODY 10 horse yanmar diesel on the compressor, batteries relocated to under the the cab on the frame
magyver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
lww

Back along the way, we had a Pete conventional with the 475 twin turbo with MVT on the follower boxes (mechanical/ variable timing, also an 855 Cummins of course).
Ran pretty good (excluding the MVT rack always slopping about) lots of boost but not a great series match on the turbo's, no doubt poor maps put forward by an engineer between a rock and a hard place.
Regardless, following a major inframe by the local Cummins shop, it slipped out of wack and I lifted the covers, etc. to do my own set. I found a set of feeler gauges lodged in the valve train, not the reason for low power, but disappointing to find inside an engine.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I was unaware that series turbos had been used on anything factory until ACERT came along. What was the year of this, and what was its purpose?

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

Evidently so, the last guy I drove for had two Cummins and one Cat in Pete's. When I first went to work for him, he'd mentioned that he'd just previously removed the twins, and put a Holset back on and it pulled way better. We were getting ready to leave at the time so I could be wrong, but I think it was the Big Cam Cummins and not the Cat. All three were totally mechanical engines and he was head of "power trick of the month club", so for all I know the twins were not stock and just something he was trying out.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hello! About '73 Cummins came up with the NTA engines. They were 370, 380, 400, and 420. With super slow timming and low compression, and a tappered nose crank, they set a new standard on smoke and broken crank shafts! The next step was the NTA FFC with two thermostats, straight nose crank and off set water pump. Still plenty of smoke but a little better durability. When the Big Cam came out around '78 the big power was the the NTC 475 with MVT and twin turbos. Cummins liked to call it "turbo compounding". The Big Cam 4 came out in the 80's, but it was '87 when the 475 was replaced with the 444. The next step was the NT-88 444xt.
If you want to see a real turbo set up, talk to your local old timmer at Cummins about the Hyper-Bar KV2300. It was an engine with compression so low that it had an extra turbo on it with a spark plug and a fuel injector, making it a jet engine, to pump air into the engine so it would run at low RPM at less than full power.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Back along the way, we had a Pete conventional with the 475 twin turbo with MVT on the follower boxes (mechanical/ variable timing, also an 855 Cummins of course).
Ran pretty good (excluding the MVT rack always slopping about) lots of boost but not a great series match on the turbo's, no doubt poor maps put forward by an engineer between a rock and a hard place.
Regardless, following a major inframe by the local Cummins shop, it slipped out of wack and I lifted the covers, etc. to do my own set. I found a set of feeler gauges lodged in the valve train, not the reason for low power, but disappointing to find inside an engine.

[/ QUOTE ] Went to do Main and Rod bearings on a 550 Cat the other week.Another guy was pulling the Pan down and Found a 12" long punch in the Pan sump! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].The owner said he Knew Nothing about how it could have gotten down in there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

I've been known over the years to drop a couple of jake box hold down nuts down on the cam followers but no tools yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

I ran a small cam NTC 335 for 27 years in the same truck. It was updated to a NTA 420 and I timed it back to 43 with a Switzer turbo 4LF and later to a 4LH. Had the block out once for counter bore rings and .003 redeck was all we did other than in frame kits. Still has original standard crank. Over the years I went through a couple of cams and a front housing cover. The harmonic balancer was changed a few times also which was necessary to keep the crank from breaking.

It's still running but I don't use it much now as that old Pete is hard on my body.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If heat creates boost and not velocity why not put a blow torch on the exhaust manifold?

96 F250 Hypermax H2 for now, WOP long block going in. Spearco from BWD, Terminator oil w/DP tuner, Fass, Bronco tank, 4" DP, safe to say motor is not stock. Thanks to Zane at WOP. :-)
99 F250 Lariat SCSB 7.3
98 Peterbilt 379 Cat 3406E 964ci 600hp+Pittsburgh Power and Stage III Michigan OR6051 turbo/boost blanket, Nathan P5 Amtrack Horn, 800 XCR Snowmobile Turbo triple, Avenger III instruments. The usual old mans toys. USAF Veteran
Lowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just bought A 87 eagle w a ntc 400 in it I neade to run the overhead my data plate says intake t.s.zero inch lash
bluerivered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

use the

abc method..injectiors set 5inlbs preload...in .011..ex .023,,,turn to "A" set valve on #5 and inj on #3.."B" set val on #3 and in on #6 "c" set vl on #6 and IN on #2 and so on in firing rotation 1 5 3 6 2 4
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.