8v92 Detroit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8v92 Detroit

Hey guys im new here and i like what i see. Everybody seams very helpful to each other with there Q/A. With that said i have a question of my own. I am looking @ buying a 1978 Kenworth with a 8v92 detroit diesel. I dont know alot about Detroit diesels (Im a cat man). But this truck looks very nice. The dealer says its a one owner since 1979 and it looks it. The odometer reads 136,000. But there is a sticker just above it that reads 128,000. So i figure at worst it has about 264,000 miles. It has a 8LL trans with i think 4:11 gears. I just want to use it locally to pull heavy equipment. Is there anything i should check for? It looks untouched but very clean. Do they pull strong or are they sleds. I mean will it clime a hill? Any help would be awesome. Thanks
IRON HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to TDS!

Comparing a Detriot 2cycle to most other diesel engines around that era is like comparing a Porche engine to a Chevy 6 cylinder. Somewhat more complex, and a bit more important that maintenance and adjustments are done correctly.

That being said, I've always liked them. I have had 3 in my fleet. 2 I built new engines for after we had them for years and they were worn out. With some help form a old time Detriot man, we had 380 hp to the ground (alot for a truck those days) 430 at the crank. One was still running strong when I sold the truck. The other died of driver abuse at about 12,000 hours of short haul roll off service.

I personally would buy the truck if it is as clean as you say. Not if you are in Kalifornia or another smog leaning state though....

But I like Detriots, well tuned and cared for they are a hoot. And yes they will pull, you just have to adjust your driving style compared to modern or 4 cycle engines. A 13 speed or 15 speed would be more useful than an 8LL.

If it runs smooth on all 8, doesn't smoke when warm and doesn't leak excessive oil I'd go for it. Maybe find someone who loves detriots in your area to look at it .

The Garbage Truck Mechanic
Mine: 91 F250 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 7.3IDI 4.10LS 145,000 miles. Banks Sidewinder 92 D60 F axle w 97 brakes and Powerlock. Lift: about 4" over stock 250. 33x12.50x16.5 Pro Comp MTs Magnaflow 12" muffler. Sees dirt everyday. Used to haul hay, wood, feed cows, check fence.
Hers: 96F250 CCSB 7.3 PSD 4x4 5spd 3.55 LS 190,000 miles. Puchased 7/03, Looked for a 5spd CCSB for a year!Dana 60 front axle, at stock F350 height (for now) Energy Poly bushings, Bilsteins, 305/70/16 Pro Comps on 16x10 Weld Outbacks, AFE Pro7,TYMAR 3x3.5x4 downpipe,TYMAR 5" straightpipe, gutted EBV, IH Non EBV pedistal,New Alliant AC Injectors,(stage 1)Cal reg kit, SBC Con O clutch, permenent clutch bushing fix, AC mod with a different twist, AMP Powersteps with custom brackets and wiring(one of 2 OBS trucks with them according to AMP) Line of Fire. Sees dirt everyday.
My Company pickup: 86 F250 6.9 C6 320,000 miles Co trucks 5 89 to 94 IDI's, plus about 50 more diesels.
Diesel Mechanic 34 yrs Maintenece Manager 23 yrs

Last edited by Garbage_Mechanic; 11-02-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Garbage_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you Garbage Mechanic i appreciate your input. I like the truck alot. It looks all original (unmolested). I like the look of the old KW's and they have no computers. If i buy it ill try to post pics. Thank you again.
IRON HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

detroit 8v92

Hey, I'm new too I'm tring to find out how to remove the tach drive from a late 70's pete with an 8v92 it mounted in the back on an acc drive the housing is loose but the drive mount on the gear wont release any ideas.
Sorry to jump on your post but I was having trouble figuring out how to post a new question( computer illiterate). any help would be appreciated, thanks.
mike the mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
I sure agree with Garbage Mechanic, they hang together as good as a Cummins. I drove a lo-boy with a 8v71 for about 3 years full time and it was a good old horse. Also a logging truck part time with a 71 and later a cattle truck with the 92. The 71's were the forerunner to the 92 series. I agree with an old friend who said long ago, if I hired a driver I'd want a Detroit (cause of the abuse factor), but if I was driving it myself I want a Cummins. IMO the only flawed engine were the 53 series, at any given time during those days you could find an unlimited supply of cracked cyl heads in any truck shop's iron pile.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.