Arco "ECD" Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arco "ECD" Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel

I found myself at an ARCO (now owned by BP) Station in the Los Angeles area desperately in need of some #2. I pulled up to the pump and saw the stickers touting "Low Sulphur ECD" fuel. I'm pretty sure the ECD stands for Emission Control Diesel.

Does anyone know anything about this fuel? Is the sulphur content really that much lower? Will I do any harm to my motor by using this fuel on a regular basis?

Thank you for any info.
2000 F-250 born 1/00, Longbed, Ex-Cab, 2wd, Auto, factory alum. rims with 265/75-16 Pirelli Scorpions, 125k miles. DP Stock/40/80/120/No Run, BTS Valve Body, AFE Stage II, Autometer Z-Series guages on 3 pod A-pillar mount, MBRP 4" stainless, turbo-back exhaust w/5" slash tip, Powerslot Cryo's with Hawk Pads, duraliner, bug-deflector, Snugtop, 6,590 lbs with 1/8 tank.

Now running ARCO ECD Ultra-low Sulphur Fuel...
Bige1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Arco "ECD" Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel

The oil service people told to run some lubricant additive or biodiesel with it. I run 11% soy 90% of the time
clangmiester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

Here's the statement on ECD from Arco's site:

Will the lubricity in #2 diesel change? Will there be any impact on engine warranties?

While the base fuel's lubricity is changing, the finished fuel will include a lubricity additive to assure that it meets vehicle performance requirements. The nation-wide rollout of lubricity treatment of diesel fuel this year is in preparation for the transition to ULSD in 2006.

The fuel, engine, and engine component industries have worked cooperatively over the last few years to address the issue of ULSD lubricity, resulting in an industry-wide consensus standard. ASTM International is in the process of establishing consensus standard testing equipment, specifications, and practices that will be fully implemented before June 2006. BP is fully engaged in this effort.

Read more about ECD [/b]<font color="blue">here[/b]</font>.

Bill
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been using this stuff for about 2 years now. I've used in my F250, VW TDI, and Jeep Liberty CRD. All of them run a lot better with ARCO than traditional diesel. The fuel is ULSD, which will be law nationwide later this year. So no point on being worried about it since we'll all have to use USLD soon, unless you plan to run red-dye or something else illegal when the time comes.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I've been using this stuff for about 2 years now. I've used in my F250, VW TDI, and Jeep Liberty CRD. All of them run a lot better with ARCO than traditional diesel. The fuel is ULSD, which will be law nationwide later this year. So no point on being worried about it since we'll all have to use USLD soon, unless you plan to run red-dye or something else illegal when the time comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say they "run better" what do you mean? Less smoke? Less noise?

Thank you to everyone who replied...
2000 F-250 born 1/00, Longbed, Ex-Cab, 2wd, Auto, factory alum. rims with 265/75-16 Pirelli Scorpions, 125k miles. DP Stock/40/80/120/No Run, BTS Valve Body, AFE Stage II, Autometer Z-Series guages on 3 pod A-pillar mount, MBRP 4" stainless, turbo-back exhaust w/5" slash tip, Powerslot Cryo's with Hawk Pads, duraliner, bug-deflector, Snugtop, 6,590 lbs with 1/8 tank.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Less smoke, less noise, less turbo-lag, less vibration. It is really noticable on my Jeep. What annoys me the most on my Jeep is turbo lag from bad fuel. If I'm at a dead stop and floor it using normal diesel I get about a second delay before my turbo kicks in. With Arco or biodiesel, there's no lag at all. It's most likely from the cetane rating. Normal diesel has 40 cetane, Arco has 54, bio has 59.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is interesting... I didn't know they'll be labeling the pumps later this year to let you know if the fuel is safe for the 07's.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...sel/ulsd.shtml
Old 02-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

The new emmissions in the 07 engines are configgered for ULSD. Think of it like unleaded gasoline. You don't have a choice. Next year it all will be so, enjoy. You will be able to walk outside this time next year and breath in a nice fresh breath of purfectly clean air. The ULSD will have fixed all our problems with just 1 tankful. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I was reading an aricle in one of the fleet owners magazines I get at the shop and I came across an interesting paragraph regarding this.
It stated that after all this ULSD stuff gets going, that not only will fueel prices increase, but the new engines will cost more and will burn more fuel. This is regarding the new 2007 emissions on med/heavy duty trucks.
I was also talking to a guy at the Cummins dealer a couple days after reading that, and he said that 2010 will be just as bad for emissions changes. He said that in 2010, what the govt. wants coming out of the stack is actually cleaner than the air in Los Angeles right now.
99(10/98) F350 psd auto cc long bed srw 4x4, DP-TUNER, ISSPRO gauges, ccv and tc mods, tymar air filter, 4 inch straight exh., sonnax and tricum., 6.0 TC, added cab lights, lifted front end, Timbrens in the rear, King Ranch wheels
250K and counting
myf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Everything you said is correct. Don't know about L A though. not interested in that area. I have enough problems with them here.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just thought that maybe LA would pay us a couple bucks to drive thru and help clean up the place. LOL
My real question is that if a gallon of fuel will produce less emissions, but we will now have to burn more to do the same thing(same hp or btu) where are we actually gaining anything. Add to that the higher costs of fuel and trucks, and it kinda leaves me scratching my head to be honest.
99(10/98) F350 psd auto cc long bed srw 4x4, DP-TUNER, ISSPRO gauges, ccv and tc mods, tymar air filter, 4 inch straight exh., sonnax and tricum., 6.0 TC, added cab lights, lifted front end, Timbrens in the rear, King Ranch wheels
250K and counting
myf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I just thought that maybe LA would pay us a couple bucks to drive thru and help clean up the place. LOL
My real question is that if a gallon of fuel will produce less emissions, but we will now have to burn more to do the same thing(same hp or btu) where are we actually gaining anything. Add to that the higher costs of fuel and trucks, and it kinda leaves me scratching my head to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... You just hit the head on the doornail! The government only cares about percentages of pollutants in the exhaust not total output. Extreem example, if I came up with an engine that gets 500 miles to the gallon, but it's only exhaust was 100% nox and say only put out 1 gram of nox per 500 miles, It would be illegal and not pass emissions becuase the percentage of nox is too high, eventhough it would be less polluting than any other car engine in the world. But then if I came up with an engine that only gets 20 miles to the gallons, and a small percentage of nox output, but a total output of say 100 grams of nox per 500 miles (because of lower mpg), this one would pass emisions! Got to love the politicians!
rollfj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've used about half of the tank of ARCO ECD #2 I put in last week. I have noticed a few significant differences from the "normal" #2 I had been using prior;

1) "Quieter" idle
2) MUCH less "diesel clatter noise" quieter moving down the freeway at 70-75 (2,100-2,200 rpm's)
3) Much smoother sound and power during normal and hard acceleration, it almost feels like it has a little less power [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] The other fuel feels like it "hits" a little harder but doesn't have as much through the rev-range
4) MUCH less smoke...I went to give an annoying ricer a "sootbath" and what he got was more of a "soot-mist" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Maybe I'm imagining things....maybe its a bit of the "placebo effect"....maybe the ECD Low Sulpher fuel really is different....most likely a combo of all three....unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to stick with this fuel from now on.

One thing is clear..its time for me to dump the Evo and step up to a DP-Tuner program along with a wicked wheel....

Old 02-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nope, you're not imagining things. Except maybe the loss of power part? That could be a software update.

A few weeks ago I filled up at a place called "USA Gasoline" because the diesel was so cheap there and there was no ULSD or Bio nearby. My Jeep Liberty CRD ran, but the idle and accelerations were very loud and vibrated pretty bad. Then I filled up with "Willie Nelson Biodiesel". About 50 miles into the tank the fuel made it through the system and my Jeep now runs as quiet and smooth as the 3.7L Liberty gas engine.

I have noticed when comparing my Jeep to my F250 the Jeep will be more obvious in what kind of fuel I'm running. With my Jeep there's be a big difference in running crap fuel and ULSD, or crap fuel and biodiesel. But not so much difference between ULSD and bio. I run bio when I get the chance since it has good lubrication qualities and it's homegrown.

One last thing about ULSD and bio, for those that have EGR's, it'll will make it a lot less likely you'll get soot buildup in your intake.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

I always appreciate the updates on your CRD, brewcider. I'm still watching that engine and waiting to see if they put it in other models.

Bill
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.