Breaking in a VW TDI engine - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Breaking in a VW TDI engine

I know this is a truck forum but I have a question about breaking in a diesel TDI engine. Jay wrote a great article about breaking in diesel truck engines. I was wondering if the same applies to diesel engines for sedans/wagons? From what I've seen, there's a lot of good info on this site.

Any help will be appreciated.
Moretalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

i do believe this is a diesel site, not just truck... and i post about vans all the time...
xero-xero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Tell us about your TDI. Is it new or rebuilt? There are a lot of guys on here who own a TDI and are very knowledgable on the subject.
PowerStrokes And Duck Hunting-It Doesn't Get Any Better
eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

I broke mine in according to my manual. Back in 2002 and my 2003, it was no cruise use for the first tank (or 500 miles). The only suggestion I have is to drop the factory oil before the first recommended oil change. I was surprised at the amount of filings in the.
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 200K
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 230K
2003 TDI Jetta Maual 90K
1999 Polaris Diesel Quad
2004 Kubota BX 1500 599cc diesel
(yah I like the old mechanical diesels)
Westro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for your responses. Below is a message I left on another site but didn't get any help - just answers like "Don't try and reinvent the wheel". Actually, I was asking because I didn't know. I should have posted on this site but I found you guys later. Thanks again.

I have broken in approx eight new gasoline engines and have used 5W-30 mineral oil for 10K before switching to synthetic. I also changed the oil and oil filter the first time at 100 miles after loading the engine fairly heavily to seat the rings. I changed the oil and filter every 300 miles for the next 1200 miles and saw metal particles in the oil at each change.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I believe it is essential to seat the rings in a diesel engine to prevent blow by which dilutes the engine oil with diesel and prevents one getting the best out of the diesel engine.

I have also read that the turbo needs synthetic oil as mineral oil will not afford the necessary cooling and will gum up. However, if synthetic oil is used from day one - how will the various parts of the engine seat? I know that various manufacturers use synthetic oil as factory fills.

My son-in-law in England has a 1.9 Passat 130 BHP TDI, lots of torque and great fuel economy. At last we have clean diesels here in the States and I am looking forward to getting my first one.
Moretalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretalk View Post
I know this is a truck forum but I have a question about breaking in a diesel TDI engine. Jay wrote a great article about breaking in diesel truck engines. I was wondering if the same applies to diesel engines for sedans/wagons? From what I've seen, there's a lot of good info on this site.

Any help will be appreciated.
Check this site out; TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin
2003 7.3 PSD 2wd XLT super cab long box, drw, automatic trans. 410 gears, stock exhaust with muffler delete, PHP chip, John Wood valve body, T/C lockup switch, ISSPRO EV gauges, AIS air box w/foam sleeve. ATS compressor housing, Prodigy brake controller. Cat ELC HD coolant, 195 degree thermostat, coolant filter. Vehicle build date August-27-2002, put in service September-11-2002:
dklein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think because the new VW engine has a high torque peak it will probably be almost as fast as the I-5 powered Jettas. And I guess everyone likes the prospect of 40 mpg or more in freeway driving too.

Last edited by BARNETTPerez; 08-09-2008 at 05:37 PM.
BARNETTPerez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.