Cat 3126 problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dur

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat 3126 problems

Hello, I have a cat 3126 in my box truck and it will not start. It seems that the shut off is sticking or not releasing. Freightliner had it for 3 days and all they did was put a new fuel line on it that didn't help. Does anyone know where i can download a diagram showing where this shutoff valve(solenoid?) is on this thing? It is inside the motor. 340,000 miles on the motor and this is the only real problem i have had with it. There are some things electronically that are starting to act up like my cruise control goes crazy sometimes, fuel gauge acts up and water temperature guage acts up. Any help will be appeciated.

Thanks
Dur
Dur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cat 3126 problems

Will it crank with starting fluid and then quit? I seen one of these engines do that in a coca cola truck and turned out to be a allen bolt that holds the oil sending tubes under the vavle cover broke and it wouldn't allow oil pressure to build up so it would crank. Tim
Just a thought!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...amer/truck.jpg
WhiteF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Start your troubleshooting by grabbing the CAT engine book that came with it. Then use the cruise control switches in the truck to read the codes using the check engine light. On mine, it's usually either one or two things, either the IAC valve on the HPOP or the rubber line from the HPOP to the head (if it has it - early ones had steel - new style had rubber - latest has steel again). Both easy to change. Also known to fail, and much harder to repair, are the two speed sensors behind the air compressor. But we're guessing and possibly wasting money. Start with the codes to narrow it down.
99SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dur

Ok, thanks for your responses. I bought the truck off my brother and i have never seen a book that comes with it. It cranks over good, it just won't fire. I guess i should explain the cruise control better. It doesn't work right because when you go down the road with it on, the speedometer will start going down for no reason which causes the cruise control to speed up, so actually i guess it is the speedometer that is messing up. Sorry i didn't say that before. I talked to a guy today that thinks it is computer or sensor related. He says he knows a guy that has a computer to check it all out. He thinks that is why the relay/switch or whatever you want to call it isn't working. This thing is driving me nuts and i need to get it back on the road making money. Thanks again for any and all responses.

Dur
Old 04-30-2005, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

3126 engines don't have a shutoff solenoid, it is all controled by the ECM. Most likely the speed sensors not sending signal, HEUI IAP valve, or even the HEUI pump itself. Longshot might be ECM. Unless you have an active code, the cruise flash codes won't show anything. If you can get your engine S/N I could probably help narrow down the steps. It will most likely start with 1WM, 7AS, CKM, HEP, 9YN. Just to name a few.

'04 Harley Davidson F-250, CC, LB, 6.0, Torqueshift, Dark Shadow Gray/Black, '05 Black XLT Sport Grill & D.S.Gray bumper, '05 Harley tinted headlights, Edge Juice Platinum, Autometer Cobalt's, Banks 4" turbo back Monster exhaust, Ford Gold Remote start, Prodigy, Bel RX65 detector, 275/70R18 Toyo Open Country A/T, TurboLiner w/ Harley bed mat.

'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, Warn winch, Stainless front brush guard and rear bumper.

'07 Raptor 3612DS Toyhauler

'03 100th Harley Heritage Softail Classic, Gunmetal Pearl, Fuel Injected, 95" BB, Bassani Power Curve True Duals, PIAA headlamp and passing lamps, LED lights everywhere else, more add ons than time to list.
04HDF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

On my KW's, Freighliners, and CCC trucks the cruise control/check engine light WILL point you in the right direction. A 39 flash WILL send you to the IAC valve. A 31 Flash WILL send you to the lost speed signals. Our Cat distributor used to ask what codes were flashing via the check engine light, but have since given me a pocket tec to use. Pages 58 thru 66 in the C7 operation manual (only one handy and identical to 3126E manual), list the procedure for retrieving the codes using the cruise control switches, what the codes are, and the consequences. Usually though, in the case of the speed sensors, with the engine running, the check engine light comes on, depending on how the engine is programmed, the engine may run normal or power down. If the sensor/wiring is bad, it might still run, but once you turn it off, it will not receive a signal, and thus the no start. Here is where a scanner or pocket tec will show you the cruise control flash code, and cross it over to a cat code. The IAC will flash a code 39 with the cruise, but show up as a 164-11 on the scanner. The cruse flashes will point us in the right direction while troubleshooting,and has helped me and my cat distributor repair my problems over the phone, but it is not the see all the scanner is. It will give you an idea where the trouble lies.

Another thought, the problem could be something as simple as the main fuse going to the ecm! Had one of the off the wall chassis that the factory put too small of fuse in, and the engine kept quitting - no codes - no flashes - I think the factory called for a 10 amp and cat called for a 25 amp (long time ago) changed fuese and problem went away.
99SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dur

Thank you 99sd and 04hdf250 for your responses. I feel i'm finally being led in the right direction. The engine s/n is
7As74109 ...The perf. spec is 175-3297 and the ar no. is 154-1054. It is a 1999 year engine. Once again thank you for taking the time to help me out here. I'm going to print out your responses and give them to the mechanic to give him some things to look for.

Dur
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
PSD

The first thing I'd do is plumb a manual oil pressue guage into the HP oil rail and make sure it has oil pressure.
PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

3126E Intermittant no start

Mounted in a 2003 330 Pete. Internittant no start. Engine cranking but no start raw fuel smoke out of exhaust. Can be started if put in gear and cranked or tug started after a few feet pops offs. Has 6 new injectors, new batteries and new starter. Cranking speed is ok. Any ideas were to go no engine light or codes thrown.
Thank Max.......
RIGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dear DUR,
did you fix this problem?seems like i have the same you had.
any information you can give me to solve this issue?
regards.
ivan
ivanhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same problems

I have the same problems in a school bus at our mission in Honduras. We have no manuals. Where can I download or purchase one from?

To the OP, what was the final outcome? I know I am shooting in the dark but we have few tools and a dead bus. It is a Thomas/Freightliner with a CAT 3126.
rbjenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.