cat 3406b ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cat 3406b ?

can anyone tell me how to determine what model a cat 3406 engine is ? b,c,d,e? on the rear valve cover i found 14.6 ltr 3406 on a sticker but no letters.also i found these numbers embossed in the valve cover (4N4536).I am considering buying this truck and doing owner/operator so i want to research it as much as i can.the owner of the truck said it was a cat 425 3406b.any help will be apreciated.
grease monkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
A "B" series is a mechanical engine, "C" and "E" are electronic engines, there is no "D" series that I know of.

Call Cat and give them the serial number they can tell you what it is.
2000 Kenworth W900 600Hp Cat 18 spd 3:70 green
maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

cat 3406b

thanks for the reply.i will call them and check.i think it is a b which would be the mechanical 3406.their is only 2 wires going to the injection pump.maybe they can also tell me what runs that tachometer?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

The tachometer runs off a sensor on the bell housing, usually on the right hand side, it gets it's signal off of the flywheel.

If it has linkage from the fuel pedal to the engine it is mechanical. The 2 wires are the fuel shut off solenoid
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

3406b

thanks again for all the help.international was able to verify the engine as being a 3406b like you said.gotta try to crawl under it sometime this weekend and find that sensor.what is your opinion on the 3406b being reliable after being turned up to 425?The owner said it was a 425 cat but after talking to international i found out the 3406b came stock 350 hp.so if it does have 425hp it would be only because the injection pump has been turned up.the owner has receipts where the engine was rebuilt by a truck shop about 60000 miles ago.it had new pistons,rings,jugs,bearings,oil pump,water pump,& valve job on cylinder head.it has also has had a new altanator,starter,air dryer,fuel pump,& batterys.The truck is an 1991 international eagle double bunk sleeper cab over.it has a air lift system for the cab.Most of the stuff i have found wrong is just interior lights and small stuff.i have already fixed a lot of the small stuff.to start with i paid to get the truck set up with my own authority and we split everything the truck makes 50/50 untill i buy the truck from him.i start hauling through ch robinson moday.i can get the truck for 7000 or maybe even 6000.i can buy it now by using an equity line that i have but i want to drive it for at least a month to see how dependable the truck will be.a cabover want be much for luxry but i think it will be a good starting point for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing to worry about by going to 425hp. The B can take it! It may be a good idea to get a pyrometer in it to make sure it's not getting too hot on the hills. Simple mods can get you to 600hp for fairly cheap.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah the "B" is one of the best Cat's.

As far as the price of the truck, it doesn't seem too bad, but CH Robinson (Cheap and Heavy) is not really a good start, good payers as far as time goes, but horrible rates.

Sign up with Internet Truckstop, or getloaded.com, but I can tell you this right now, rates are lousy right now, not much freight moving and what is going is cheaper than cheap.

You didn't say what kind of trailer you have, and where you are located, freight rates are looking like the early 80's right now, I've been at this since 1977, not a good time to get into trucking, IMO.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

ch robinson

I have a 53 ft dry van and i am setup for Ga,tennese,alabama,south carolina,north carolina and florida.What do you mean by good payers far as time goes but lowsy rates?Are you talking about what the loads pay per mile?keep in mind i am new to all this.My brother has been hauling gas for the past 5 years as company driver making 50-60k putting in long hrs.i thought about getting in to that as an owner operator but the cost of a tanker and the 5 million dollar insurance policy to haul a hazmat tanker is outrageos.for the time being i am just trying to do something that pays more than the 330.00 a week i have been getting on unemployment.i have been a chrysler technician for 13 years and got laid off from a dealership that i have been at for the last ten years.Its bad everywhere right now.i thought maybe if i could get in to hauling food or gas (two things people cant do without)i might be able to make a descent living.A lot of dealerships are closing down and cutting technicians pay.their is nothing that they can do about it because with more and more chrysler dealers closing their doors thier are fewer places to work.working on the cars and trucks of today are complicated.having years of experiance with one brand gives you a huge advantage.anyway i got to where i hated that job and have wanted out for years.i wasnt planning on leaving it this way.i can go back to that if i have to.for the time being i am a paying the insurance on the truck and me and the owner are spliting everything 50/50 untill i decide whether or not to buy the truck and trailer from him.i going to see what the truck makes and try to figure in maintance before i buy.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I meant they pay within 48 hours on most loads, but their rates are lousy, and their loads are heavy.

Hauling food and delivering to grocery warehouses is the bottom of the barrel, you will wait 2 to 10 hours to unload and then have to pay for unloading services out of your pocket.

Plus rates in the southeast are traditionally the lowest in the country, best paying stuff runs north or east. Since most guys don't want to run those areas they work for less to stay away.

I sympathize with your predicament about losing your job, trucking is very tough right now, same reason, the economy, way too many trucks, way too few loads that pay anything. Hauling rates today are what we made in the early 90's when fuel was around 1/2 of what it is now.

Take the job hauling gas, you will be hard pressed to make 60K in this economy with your own truck.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

ch robinson

I have a freind who has been trucking for 20 plus years.He is telling me the same thing about ch robinson being crap loads that dont pay good.Well i am knee deep in it right now after paying for getting my authority set up.i just completed my first week of hauling.i need to figure out how much money i am actualy making after all expenses.I know that each truck will differ as far as cost of maintance.But i need some kind of base line to at least figure out what tires,oil changes and other basic maintance will cost me per mile.also their can be unexpected cost with having an older truck like replacing the clutch,engine,tranny etc etc.Does any body know what a safe number to use to figure out maintance cost on a mileage basis.also how hard is it to get freight directly from the shipper and eliminate the brokers? maybe if i could get some freight to haul directly from the shippers and use brokers just to relocate the truck would give me a better chance to make it.i expect it would take longer to get paid that way but it should pay more.it maybe just thinking wishfull though.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
I quit running my own truck over 20 years ago, and quite frankly, I don't know how anyone can even eat on what freight is paying right now. The rates are what they were when I got out of it ( not that brokers haven't been tagging fuel surcharges up the ying yang onto the prices the shipper gets charged, they just aren't passing it on )and was griping that it got too cheep, but fuel is about 2-3 times the cost ( last year it was even worse ) and road food had gone up about 5 fold, and that's just the base expenses
Cracks me up the grocery store doubles the prices over the last year and blames it on transportation costs, but the freight rates are down, It's nuts.
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Grease monkey, I hate to say it, but ALL of these things you ask should have been asked BEFORE you bought the truck.

You will need to add up ALL of your costs, EVERYTHING, ins,truck payment,license plates, and come up with a per mile figure, and don't forget to pay your self at least 35 cents per mile (thats what a company driver makes)

My cost per mile is 60 cents, that is WITHOUT fuel or my pay, my truck is paid for, but there are heavy repairs since it has a million miles on it.

Cheap tires are $300 a piece, as far as other repairs, there is no way to tell what will break next.

Clutch figure on $1500 in a shop
Trans $2000 over the counter
Front rear $2000 over the counter
Oil change, $125 doing it your self
Brakes $100 a wheel doing it your self, add $100 a wheel for labor
Radiator $1000 over the counter, I just put one in.
Engine over haul, starts at $7000 and goes up to 20K
Starter $200 over the counter

Most truck shops charge anywhere from $75 to $125 an hour.

Quote:
Cracks me up the grocery store doubles the prices over the last year and blames it on transportation costs, but the freight rates are down, It's nuts.
A 50 cent a mile raise for trucks would come out to less than 1 cent a pound for a steak, no one would even notice it.

As far as going direct with a shipper, you will find that almost impossible, most shippers will NOT deal with a one truck operation, they want a load moved NOW, now when you can get to it, thats why the deal with brokers.

If you know someone where you live, MAYBE you can get a few loads.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

well i have not bought the truck yet! ! ! i have paid for getting my own authority and i am paying for the insurance.as long as my partner owns the truck he gets 60% of what the truck makes.i made this deal with him so i could test the waters before buying the truck.so far i dont see enough money coming in to make it worth while being an owner/operator.i may just have to go back to being a mechanic.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Gotcha.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

dont give up yet, robinson is not the only one out there. things are a lil glim, but its also that time of year too. Try Landstar, you can pull for them with or with out your own authority. good luck
columbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.