CAT 3406E fuel problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAT 3406E fuel problem

Help I just bought a truck at an auction 97 inter cabover I was there 3 days strait and the truck started everytime.The day i bought it no problem . I think someone ran it dry keeping warm. I filled the filters it has a priming pump still no go.Someone was saying to crack the injector lines but i dont see them . It has 2 lines from the fuel system 1 to the back of the engin and 1 in the front cracked those lots of fuel . would this be an electric fuel pump or a mach ? She will run for a sec on eather but wont kick in . Any thing else i can try before i have to call in a mechanic . I have talk to some and they think it is also a fuel problem .
caribmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

another poster with the same problem

3406e. goes through a fuel pump every 18 months or so. symptoms as stated in original post. about a '97 model (details available upon request). any idea(s) on how a fuel pump fails as often as this(these) do would be much appreciated.
bluebaronbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
There is a bleeder right next to the fuel filter, takes a 7/8" wrench, crack it open.

There is also a check valve which is accessed from under the truck right next to the fuel filter, this has given me a few problems in the past, easy fix with a new o-ring. This valve lets the pump loose its prime.

There is NO electric pump.

Quote:
3406e. goes through a fuel pump every 18 months
Something radically wrong with that one, I have a 3406E and so do a few guys I work with, all original pumps with over 1 million on each.
2000 Kenworth W900 600Hp Cat 18 spd 3:70 green
maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
There is a bleeder right next to the fuel filter, takes a 7/8" wrench, crack it open.

There is also a check valve which is accessed from under the truck right next to the fuel filter, this has given me a few problems in the past, easy fix with a new o-ring. This valve lets the pump loose its prime.

There is NO electric pump.

Something radically wrong with that one, I have a 3406E and so do a few guys I work with, all original pumps with over 1 million on each.
Exactly Maniac.The checkvalve in the filter head is Bad or there is a serious air intusion issue or a restriction of sorts.Also on the starting issues DO NOT count out the primer pump. I see them go bad all the time.It will suck air down the shaft seal and cause starting problems and Performance issues.Even though it is screwed down tight it can fool you.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks maniac and grounder for your responses. i've passed the info off to my brother (who ownes the truck) for his action. i own/operate macks, so i don't have problems like this. (well... maybe....) good looking freightshaker there maniac; yellow is a good color for that model. if you pull a tanker then we have that in common (for me, crude, jet, diesel, and gasoline out of se utah over three decades.) thanks again. bbb
Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

oooops! sorry maniac. the pic is small enough that my eyes regestered the tractor as a freightshaker. i see in your footnotes that it is a kw. bbb
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

i just remembered that my brother made a remark yesterday when we were discussing your posts. he said the only check valve he found was in the return line. why would there be a check valve in a return line? bbb
Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
The check valve in the return line keeps the fuel in the head so you don't loose the prime, when it goes bad is when the starting issues begin, that was the valve I meant, its a cheap fix.

I forgot about the fuel primer because I took mine off BEFORE it gave any problems, but that ALSO can cause starting issues like grounder said, get rid of it, its not needed. There is a block off plate available for it.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck, its getting old and the paint is starting to fade, but I'm keeping it till the wheels fall of, then I'll put them back on and keep goin'
2000 Kenworth W900 600Hp Cat 18 spd 3:70 green
maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
The check valve in the return line keeps the fuel in the head so you don't loose the prime, when it goes bad is when the starting issues begin, that was the valve I meant, its a cheap fix.

I forgot about the fuel primer because I took mine off BEFORE it gave any problems, but that ALSO can cause starting issues like grounder said, get rid of it, its not needed. There is a block off plate available for it.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck, its getting old and the paint is starting to fade, but I'm keeping it till the wheels fall of, then I'll put them back on and keep goin'
You DO NOT want any parts of New CATS take my word for it.I am into them every day.If you are going for a 08 tk Go with the ISX I would not lie to ya Man
Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

i've been making the 'sucking air' argument since my bro first mentioned this problem a couple of years ago; and with your help i might be getting somewhere with it.

my last job was in an international with an isx which i thought was a decent engine. cummins, detroit, and cat have all made decent engines over the years, but the engine that delivered to my specs was a '97 460 mack. i'm sure volvo has 'improved' that engine to the point of being just like the rest.

i thank the two of you for your help/info. spring here in southern missouri. i've been in my summer-time shorts for almost a month now.

bob
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebaronbob View Post
i've been making the 'sucking air' argument since my bro first mentioned this problem a couple of years ago; and with your help i might be getting somewhere with it.

my last job was in an international with an isx which i thought was a decent engine. cummins, detroit, and cat have all made decent engines over the years, but the engine that delivered to my specs was a '97 460 mack. i'm sure volvo has 'improved' that engine to the point of being just like the rest.

i thank the two of you for your help/info. spring here in southern missouri. i've been in my summer-time shorts for almost a month now.

bob

None of the Mack guys I know like the new Molvos compared to the old Mack engines. Good power on the dyno, but not on the road.

Nick
94 Ram 3500 4x4, r/cab, NV4500 alum fb, work in progress
87 M-B 300D, turbo, custom 3" exh
lots of old diesel iron and gas M-B's
nberchem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.