Cat diesel power harness - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat diesel power harness

Has anyone got any experience or heard any feedback on this product? Ratso's Fab Shop has them for sale. It is used on the 3406Es. TIA
02 F250 CC 4X4 Lariat, AIH mod, diy-modded intake, diy-modded ccv, pre-pump, DP-Tuner- stock,econ,120; SS-HX, Sonnax-Tric., GDS hi-flo outlet,4" turbo-back,plugged pedestal,cross-connect kit, 1.0 ATS ex.housing
tyrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Re: Cat diesel power harness

Haven't heard of it.. What is it supposed to do, replace the stock harness??

If heat creates boost and not velocity why not put a blow torch on the exhaust manifold?

96 F250 Hypermax H2 for now, WOP long block going in. Spearco from BWD, Terminator oil w/DP tuner, Fass, Bronco tank, 4" DP, safe to say motor is not stock. Thanks to Zane at WOP. :-)
99 F250 Lariat SCSB 7.3
98 Peterbilt 379 Cat 3406E 964ci 600hp+Pittsburgh Power and Stage III Michigan OR6051 turbo/boost blanket, Nathan P5 Amtrack Horn, 800 XCR Snowmobile Turbo triple, Avenger III instruments. The usual old mans toys. USAF Veteran
Lowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Cat diesel power harness

It is suppose to plug in between the computer and the main harness to modify the signals from the computer to call up more fuel. They are suppose to actually smoke if you are starting off and "gas" on it before the boost kicks in. I read a little about it on Drivers round table forums. Suppose to be a substantial kick in the pants on power as well.
02 F250 CC 4X4 Lariat, AIH mod, diy-modded intake, diy-modded ccv, pre-pump, DP-Tuner- stock,econ,120; SS-HX, Sonnax-Tric., GDS hi-flo outlet,4" turbo-back,plugged pedestal,cross-connect kit, 1.0 ATS ex.housing
tyrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrod View Post
It is suppose to plug in between the computer and the main harness to modify the signals from the computer to call up more fuel. They are suppose to actually smoke if you are starting off and "gas" on it before the boost kicks in. I read a little about it on Drivers round table forums. Suppose to be a substantial kick in the pants on power as well.
The company that manufactures that Power Harness and the Fuel Temp Harness globally is Platinum Performance based out of Atlanta. I bought several for my fleet and really noticed the increased horsepower and fuel savings. if you google them you will likely find them or at performanceharness dot com. They specialize in Caterpillar Diesel engine performance. I was surprised at the performance for sure.
DZTrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
I have a friend with one, pretty much just extra smoke, no mileage gain, you can find the harness on eBay way cheaper than anywhere else.

There are 2 harnesses, one is for fuel temp, the other is for boost, can get them both for under $100.00 on eBay.
2000 Kenworth W900 600Hp Cat 18 spd 3:70 green
maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
I have a friend with one, pretty much just extra smoke, no mileage gain, you can find the harness on eBay way cheaper than anywhere else.

There are 2 harnesses, one is for fuel temp, the other is for boost, can get them both for under $100.00 on eBay.
You may get a very "Slight" or think you are getting a little bit quicker spool up.But it is mainly a smoke show as Mainiac said and underhood cackle LOL.It is Nothing more than a inline resistor.ACCERTS seem to respond a little better with them than Regular E-models.This trick is Nothing new and the Bang you will get IMO is not worth 50 bucks LOL !, Nor is it gonna give you a extra 2MPG.You can go the powerbox route, But throw caution to the wind there.Even though they may Have Built in EGT protection,I have pulled quite a few Heads off tks running them .The Higher cyl pressures are hard on the Headgasket.Driving style factors into this too.

Last edited by grounder; 11-27-2008 at 09:44 PM.
grounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
There are actually three harnesses.

Fuel temp: fools the ECM into thinking the fuel is hot and thin. The ECM Will actually compensate for the thin fuel and inject more per combustion event. This does Does work Fairly well. BUT as you drive and the fuel starts to heat up you will notice less and less power as the fuel gets hotter and hotter. A fuel cooler will help this a bit.

The second is the boost sensor: Fools the ECM into thinking boost is higher than it actually is. This will dump more fuel down low and spool the turbo faster. IT will however smoke down low and isn't good for motors still running the Oxy Cats

Third is Intake air temp sensor: this fools the ECM into thinking that the air is Colder than it actually is. The ECM will adjust the timing to compensate.

For the money their not a bad mod. But don't expect a night and day difference. Maybe .2MPG MAX.

They really don't do much on a Non Acert motor. The pre emissions 3406E's do better with injector trim codes and fuel tables. Good luck finding a dealer that will still fiddle with these though as mother cat will have your nuts if they catch you doing that without their consent.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
There are actually three harnesses.

Fuel temp: fools the ECM into thinking the fuel is hot and thin. The ECM Will actually compensate for the thin fuel and inject more per combustion event. This does Does work Fairly well. BUT as you drive and the fuel starts to heat up you will notice less and less power as the fuel gets hotter and hotter. A fuel cooler will help this a bit.

The second is the boost sensor: Fools the ECM into thinking boost is higher than it actually is. This will dump more fuel down low and spool the turbo faster. IT will however smoke down low and isn't good for motors still running the Oxy Cats

Third is Intake air temp sensor: this fools the ECM into thinking that the air is Colder than it actually is. The ECM will adjust the timing to compensate.

For the money their not a bad mod. But don't expect a night and day difference. Maybe .2MPG MAX.

They really don't do much on a Non Acert motor. The pre emissions 3406E's do better with injector trim codes and fuel tables. Good luck finding a dealer that will still fiddle with these though as mother cat will have your nuts if they catch you doing that without their consent.
I am a CAT Tech and I used to put Hot Trim Codes in and a few other things.... for "Freinds" as long as they were out of warranty.Anymore with roadside emission checks where the sniffers are put on the stacks and they will check opacity readings there could be trouble if this were ever to get into a court issue.Not likely but possible.The service tool serial # will be registerd in The ECM who made the last parameter changes.So if they really wanted to push it they will come back to the dealer and then you are in Hot water With Federal EPA issues, so I do value my job and pretty much do not do it anymore The warnings to Us Dealer Techs are pretty Ugly on this nowdays..Any warranty work on any CAT engine requires a report and a ECM download which you send to CAT.If you are running a powerbox on it,It still can be detected by Caterpillar.They will kick the warranty claim back to the dealer and possibly Flag the Engines remaining coverage .Trust me they Know every "Mod" in the book that people figure out to squeeze some more juice out of thier engines and you are Not going to fool them if thier is a warranty repair and you have been tampering .Actually they are very Lienient on covering warranty claims and thier customer service and goodwill repairs with Failures just out of warranty coverage are definately "Second to None". But thier is a point where you will get into trouble if they see something in a ECM parameter that throws up a Big Red flag that you have been altering things..CAT will program you a Hot ECM I know many guys with pulling tks that have them.You have to sign alot of documents stateing it is "Off Road use only".It will also cost you around 3 grand for them to do it for you.Obviously its your baby if you scatter it.But really no one knows better than them what thier engines will take.They sponsor plenty of race tks in the US and Europe running thier power which IMO is pretty cool on thier part.

Last edited by grounder; 11-28-2008 at 01:23 PM.
grounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Emission stuff suck.

Sniff.... can't even go out and play anymore....
1983 F-150 2x4, 4.9L, C-6 w/GV-OD, 3.55 Farm pickup
1981 C-8000, 3208 CAT, RT-6510, Rockwell SSHD Tandems (Swap)
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L diesel (project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L diesel (project)
1977 K100C, NTC-350, RT-1110, Tandem
1977 Transtar II, NTC-290, RT-9509 Single
1977 Transtar II, Formula 290, RT0-9513, Tandem (project)
1974 C-750, 391CID, Clark 5 speed, Eaton 2 speed
Kaliburz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Quote:
You can go the powerbox route, But throw caution to the wind there.Even though they may Have Built in EGT protection,I have pulled quite a few Heads off tks running them .The Higher cyl pressures are hard on the Headgasket.Driving style factors into this too.
I have another friend who used the power box, after 2 head gasket jobs he took it out, never could turn it past 3 or it would get too hot, waste of money IMO, just buy a bigger motor, thats what I did
2000 Kenworth W900 600Hp Cat 18 spd 3:70 green
maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

NEW HERE

I just purchased one of these power harness. For the fuel sensor.
Had it on the dyno. So it works, got good gains. Two months later
seemed like betsy was lagging. Re dyno. Computer was smart and
figured out was there. pretty mad that i wasted my money.

Found a shop that builds one. That actually works it's not just a
resistor, it's actually programmed so the computer doesn't see it.
same gains. have had, six months and still pulling.
wont leave a trace in the system.
Also found a shop that fine tunes the trim codes. My fuel spread
was 6% before they tuned it they got it to 0.8%. they also did a
valve set.
and then got it on the dyno a few weeks later.
Was at 477 before everything.
510 with the harness.
580 with tuned codes.

Thought you should know
leighsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

So where do you put that inline resistor instead of buying one of these things? :P
stian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.