Chevette diesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chevette diesel

Hi to everyone.I've located a 82'Chevette diesel with a 5-speeder.My question is,are they decent and are they road worthy?How about reliable?Or is it better to not buy it?I understand the diesel was only made for a year or two at most in those cars.I was thinking about buying it and parking my current rig for the winter.We have so much salt here in the winter,that the fenders and bodies on many cars take a beating.

Thanks everyone!
Cadillacdiesel57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
POS

Re: Chevette diesel

I didn't know they made one, but I found it. Says it's a 1.8L diesel with a 3spd auto.

Reliable? I doubt it. Pretty cool? Probably. Easy to find parts for? Really doubt it.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

We used to have an '81 Chevette, it was a POS, big time. My father used it for about 10 months when he was delivering newspapers. It died for no apparent reason and he ended up giving it away to one of his friends in '93. We replaced it with a '79 Pinto wagon. That was twice the car of the Chevette and my father used it another year or 2 and put almost another 100k on it (when it already had close to 200k when we bought it), and sold it for $1200 in 1995 when he got out of the newspaper gig.

2004 Ford F-250 XL Regular Cab Longbed 4x2, 6.0L PSD/TS Auto, 3.73, stock for now. Tekonsha Prodigy, Curt Mfg. 10k WC/12k WD receiver hitch.

Traded in: 1995 Ford F-250 XLT Super Cab Longbed 4x4, 460, auto, 3.55's., K&N filter, glasspack duals. Miss everything about this truck but the gas mileage....

Some days you're the dog.....Some days you're the hydrant.
Mwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My brother in law used two Chevettes as cars for his two daughters.
They ran those two cars through high school and then the girls
took them to college. They got rid of them after graduating. They
were cheap, easy to work on, and they lasted a long time. They
thought that the cars were an excellent value. They also got excellent
fuel economy for gas engines. A friend of mine has rental houses
on the west side of our state and one of the cleaning ladies still
has a diesel Chevette to this day. She keeps it running and loves
the fuel economy! Maybe she got the "golden" chevette. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed. CD Changer
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod was installed. Replaced with Swamps HV/HF IDM! Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (61)

Had an '82 (I believe) Chevette diesel 5 speed and it was a decent car. It was not particularly fast but it would run triple digits if given enough time to get there.

52 hp Isuzu diesel mated to an Isuzu 5 speed. I towed a 2500 lb trailer from Youngstown, Ohio to Cincinnati, Ohio twice with it before I had any brains at all. Smokey Wren would have had fun with that one. It would not go over 45mph coming out of Columbus due to a headwind so I got off the interstate and ran the back roads to get there.

I got around 44 mpg and ran it until the injector pump died. I did not know enough about them to fix so I sold it in 1989 to a mechanic who worked in the shop where I supervised. He installed a used pump and drove it for a couple years I know of, he may still be driving it.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Yeah the little Isuzu diesels in those cars were pretty tough. Not very powerful, but they were very reliable. I have seen some used in boats and I'm not sure, but I think they were in the pickups too.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

They were in the isuzu pups as well as the chevy luvs as an option for a few years.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great reliable cars, slow as all get out thogh, and yes they will run triple digits lol
2002 F-250 S/C Auto, 4X4, longbed, Dual Turboback Exhaust from Brighton Radiator, TS 6 position chip(Stock-Fuel7) Tymar Intake.Acetoned emblems. Boost pyro tranny C2 autometer guages with pillar mount(Follow the light)40000Miles
2004.5 Polaris 600 Sportsman. DONT FALL IN THE TRAP DEMOCRATS ARE FULL OF CRAP some call me redneck, some call me trash, some call me a true American that'll kick your... God bless the U.S.
aramtractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

My grandpa bought an 84 chevette diesel 5-sp brand new. My father bought in the mid-90's with probably 200K on the clock. We probably put another 100K + on the car while my dad owned it. The car itself was an utter piece of crap with no luxuries and no working guages, and maybe even a broken heater, who knows?

Anyways, those cars had a bulletproof drive-train that was worth it's weight in gold. In all those miles that engine never had a wrench touched to it.

If you can find one, lose your pride (because it'll get hurt in a beater like a diesel-vette [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) and drop the couple hundred bucks to get it. You may get passed by a turtle on the expressway, but you'll pass every gas station in town.

Justin
J_Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
My grandpa bought an 84 chevette diesel 5-sp brand new. My father bought in the mid-90's with probably 200K on the clock. We probably put another 100K + on the car while my dad owned it. The car itself was an utter piece of crap with no luxuries and no working guages, and maybe even a broken heater, who knows?

Anyways, those cars had a bulletproof drive-train that was worth it's weight in gold. In all those miles that engine never had a wrench touched to it.

If you can find one, lose your pride (because it'll get hurt in a beater like a diesel-vette [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) and drop the couple hundred bucks to get it. You may get passed by a turtle on the expressway, but you'll pass every gas station in town.

Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if that engine/trans. would work in a S-10??? I'm supposed to be getting a free S-10 (2.2 engine is sitting in its bed) over winter break and that would make an interesting project.

2004 Ford F-250 XL Regular Cab Longbed 4x2, 6.0L PSD/TS Auto, 3.73, stock for now. Tekonsha Prodigy, Curt Mfg. 10k WC/12k WD receiver hitch.

Traded in: 1995 Ford F-250 XLT Super Cab Longbed 4x4, 460, auto, 3.55's., K&N filter, glasspack duals. Miss everything about this truck but the gas mileage....

Some days you're the dog.....Some days you're the hydrant.
Mwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

it probably would bolt up

the fords gone i got a cummins
DBogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Will the Chevette diesel and S-10 diesel engines bolt up? Probably not. Although both were built by Isuzu, they are different engines.

The diesel engine used in the Chevette is a 1.8 liter belt driven overhead cam unit. It was also used in the Isuzu I-Mark and probably a few other models not sold in the US. The engine used in the S-10 is a 2.2 liter pushrod unit known as the C-223. This one also went into the Isuzu PuP and Trooper and is related to the C-201 engine used in Thermo King reefer units.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

run with it made by isuzu and depsite what folks say the little izuzu is a darn dependable motor when used for its intended purpose.

2002 F350 Larait Crew Cab Dually , (sold 65k Miles)
1992 F250 HD 4x4 Super cab 7.3 IDI W/banks(Sold 118k miles)
1988 F150 Short bed 4x4 (sold 45k miles)
Feel the Force of TDS

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

If it can be baught for a few hundred jump at it. Those little cars were uggggggggglllllllllyyyyyyyyy, and sloooowwwww but super reliable when properly maintained.

There have been a few on Ebay recently that went for around $1500.
Ford Severe Duty AIS intake with fender sleve
AFE Torque Booster tube
modified IDM
ITP overboost eliminator
Beans Stage 2 split shots
AIH delete
Firestone 5,000lb air bags in the rear
leveling kit up front custom built from OEM Ford springs instead of buying aftermarket stuff
FORD ball joints modified to be greasable instead of using aftermarket stuff
clear turn signals and brake lights

IF YOU ARE GONNA MOD. IT BEFORE 100K DON'T CRY WHEN A REP. FROM FORD OR INTERNATIONAL VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY
marksuttonjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Haha, my dad actually made ours the little pimp-mobile. He stripped and painted it Dupont Lazer-Red, and put on American Racing chrome wheels. The kicker was when he bent the antenna into the shape of a boob. It was weeks before my mom ever found out what is was. That car was famous. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Justin
J_Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.