Chevy 6.2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chevy 6.2

Hey guys, quick question.... do any of you know of a 6.2 forum for the chevy's? My neighbor has got a 6.2 and was wondering. Tim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...amer/truck.jpg
WhiteF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Chevy 6.2

www.thedieselpage.com

I think you have to be a member to read the forums there...
dt_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea, there is actually a place localy that he can go and find out all he needs to know about the truck and talk in person to very knowledgable people. THE SCRAP METAL YARD. They probably see more of those than anyone.
2001 F350 XLT CC DRW AUTO TRANS, AIC, FRONT CAPTAINS CHAIRS, Autometer pyro and boost gauge. Custom exhaust by me. custom injector work by the old dude in the pump room at work. my own intake WICKED WHEEL from www.dieselsite.com did away with those door emblems and went to the old powerstroke stickers under the fender emblems. complete alpine system with XM. "I bought this truck when I was 21 years of age because I had an extra 40G laying around" (yea right)
dmaxEter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, there is actually a place localy that he can go and find out all he needs to know about the truck and talk in person to very knowledgable people. THE SCRAP METAL YARD. They probably see more of those than anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they see more 6.0 PSD [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

As a former owner of a '95 6.5L TD I enjoyed THEDIESELPAGE . They were very helpfull with upgrades and cheap fixes.It does cost but only 15.00 a year. Those engines (6.2/6.5) do not get as much aftermarket and knowledge bases as powerstrokes, cummins, duramax. I enjoyed my 6.5. It was cheap, reliable power.My years in the US ARMY got me aquainted with the 6.2 in the HUMVEE, CUCV, and the K30 pickup version. Of course the years at a ford dealership and growing up on a RED farm ( International) I fell in love with the powerstroke. My 6.5 has moved on to provide cheap power for my youngest brother at 265,000 on the original motor and trans. I hope everyone with diesels can respect each other and help each other out.
kmill35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

comparing the GM 6.2 to the IH 6.0, while alluding to the 6.2 as superior is the same as comparing the Isuzu 6.6 to the 6.0...neither are in no way superior to the the IH/Ford 6.0.
We can take any feature or aspect of any one of the two GM equipt diesels and find LOTS of things we don't like or trust......the 6.2 has proven this for many years.
The 6.6 has proven this for less time only because it has been out for less time.
in it's defense, the 6.2 may well be the BEST diesel GM has ever had in it's vehicles...which don't say a whole lot, since GM has the worse pickup and car diesel record of any auto manufacturer in the world.
even worse than the Peugeot!

http://www.myspace.com/trustingheartaz featuring
4 more original songs...one traditional standard (Fields Have Turned Brown).

Now fighting the big Kidney Cancer, Stage IV.
Prayers, attitude and the Mayo Clinic!
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

try [censored].net [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, LOL the scrap yard.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] why didn't i think of that! Thanks guys, he liked my truck so well he got a old diesel but the crapest one out there! My buddy had one in a 83 K5 and he couldn't keep a tranny in it. Tim
Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey now, I claim the scrappiest.

Still running and Olds 5.7 target....
Lost count of the miles, more than 350k.
Walked into the diesel injector shop, and asked for
a seal kit for the roosamaster and they gave it to me.

Out of respect for my age, of course, but the hearing
aint all that good anymore, maybe he said respect for my craze.

Seriously, that engine is what happens when a manufacturer thinks he is in business to make money, instead of a decent product for a profit.

What do you have when you have 100 CEO Accountants up to their necks in sand?

Bob
rlm5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Both my father and I have 6.2L Chevys. His is a 4spd manual tranny, though. Not alot of power, but they've been decent.

I have nothing bad to say about them. Still running my '85 as a front-line work truck and it tows frequently.
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Wobblin-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

answer to the original question.one of the best sources for info on gm diesels ,is the gm diesel page..ive owned 9 gm diesels,2 6.5 trucks 7 6.2 trucks or blazers and one 5.7 in a half ton.with exception of the 5.7, all have been very reliable trucks,still have all ,with exception of the 5.7 which failed,and 2 of the 6.2 trucks, which were sold with at or over 200k on them.most lived or continue to live a hard life.while power was not there high light,they for the most part are a reliable engine to own,simple to work on,and cheap.calling this engine a crappy one is not a fair assesment,i know way more people that were and are happier with 6.2 engines than fords new 6.0 . [reliability wise anyway]...
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I would agree with you on that! I wouldn't have a new 6.0 choke if you gave it to me! I though about owning a 6.2 today! Saw one in the trader dirt cheap, and I mean cheap! It was in a half ton 81 chevy. Tim
Old 03-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Both my father and I have 6.2L Chevys. His is a 4spd manual tranny, though. Not alot of power, but they've been decent.

I have nothing bad to say about them. Still running my '85 as a front-line work truck and it tows frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad experience with that motor was the habit of the starting motors falling off the engine. I had an '83 and the two bolts
that held the starting motor on would periodically break and the starting motor would fall off. Usually they snapped on cold
morning behind my house so I took to regularly looking for them
and when one would break and dop out--- I could fix it before the starting motor completely fell off. But the on going problems from this ultimately ruined a flywheel ring gear. a friend of mine had
a blazer with the 6.2 and it did the same thing from time to time.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've had several 6.2's and never even broke a starter bolt or even replaced one. I did change a starter drive and a couple of solenoids on a truck that I had for 210k miles. The others needed nothing and I had all of them at least a 100k. Whitehorse if you found an 81 with a 6.2 it's not original as they weren't made till 82.Not that it might matter much if it's cheap. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
toyboxrv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I've had several 6.2's and never even broke a starter bolt or even replaced one. I did change a starter drive and a couple of solenoids on a truck that I had for 210k miles. The others needed nothing and I had all of them at least a 100k. Whitehorse if you found an 81 with a 6.2 it's not original as they weren't made till 82.Not that it might matter much if it's cheap. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

great---I replaced bolts at least 3 times in a suburban I bought
with 100k on it and drove until it had around 180k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.