chevy 6.5 turbo diesel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
chevy 6.5 turbo diesel?

any one know how they are? any comments are helpful. thanks
wilson-nate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

They are junk first, and underpowered 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Better keep a lift pump and an injection pump in the toolbox at all times. Never tailgate one, you never knoiw when they are going to quit on you.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

ditto, I had friends that lost engines at 30,000 +/-miles. my opinion would be to stay away. You might be able to get more info. on the ins and outs of this engine though a chevy diesel web site.

Last edited by macmaniac1; 03-10-2009 at 05:08 AM.
macmaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
They are a very reliable engine/trany combo for light duty towing. They did have issues with inj pumps, but they have been fixed.

These engines run very well and for a long time.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
We had a heavy equipment mechanic from a huge Cat dealership transfer over to our shop and when I found out he owned one I kidded him about it a time or two knowing about their unreliability. He said he'd never had any major engine trouble. Some months later on the way home I saw his truck pulled over on the highway and his #13 boot soles sticking out from under it. Truth be told, he finally admitted as I gave him a ride home, his engine had just grenaded for the 2nd time. 3rd time was on a trip across the nation, thankfully the cops said he could leave it overnite on the road shoulder, a drunk totalled it during the nite, he came back from vacation with a new Dodge diesel and lived happily ever after.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Aren't the 6.5's still used in the Hummers the military uses?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

mine died at 110k. were bilt for economy. mine wasnt too good at that either. replaced with an '03 7.3 rocket ship, or so it felt.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

ha the 6.5 is pure scrap...My boss had one and the crank went out ...we were were at a stop light and he got on it...all the sudden the motor sounded like tow skeletons ****ing on a tin roof....I would stay away from them. but if you get a good one you cold get alot of miles out of the.

***Aren't the 6.5's still used in the Hummers the military uses?***
as far as I know they use the duramax...I know civilian hummers have the duramax.
285/75/16 BFG all terrain.
165k miles and no problems!!!
ALSO
1995 F-250 2wd xl 7.3 Powerstroke 5spd.
330k miles and a straigh exhaust. Sold and missed dearly.
blackwaterstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
the 6.5 liter diesel engine is garbage. but there are a few companies that offer upgraded parts to solve the known problems. the only way to get an allison-duramax package in an h-1 is if u get the alpha dog upgrade and it is freaking expecive. FYI i spent 3 years at a chevy dealer working on nothing but 6.5 and 6.2 liter diesels so i do know i big of a peice they are but i have seen a few with the upgraded fixs on them and the werent to bad.
BTS Billet transmission
Banks Technicooler
K/N intake
Studded and Fire rings
Edge juice platinum with Attitude(for sale)
SCT with Custom tunes by Tadd
90 hp injectors
4" turbo back exhaust
4.10's and detriot lockers
ford03six0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile 1993 6.5 TD crewcab

I owned a 93 6.5 crewcab - bought it off the lot - it was the first year of the truck, and I was excited because of the 6.2's reliability reputation. My truck ran for 80 K troublefree miles, and I wrecked it twice! Sold the truck to a mason who STILL owns it today, like 300K miles with incidentals like injectors and such - although he can't keep the front left tire in good shape for long ( refer to : wrecked)

Now I have an 83 GMC 3500 crew 4X4 dually with 4" of suspension lift and a 6.2 diesel in it. I also have acquired a good turbo from a 6.5 and the manifolds. I just need to know how to hook up the oil lines, but I am having a hard time finding pics or diagrams of how the original motor was plumbed. ANYONE?

PS - I now am the proud owner of a 2005 E-350 ford van with a 6.0 diesel which won't run for more than a week in a row. I have paid it off ($35k) AND have poured money into it ( $15K more) , only to continue having problems with it.

I hear the new 6.4 diesel ford is getting like 8 MPG - way to go FORD - hurry up and get it out there - forget the testing, just have the most HP. ( BY the way, did ford fix the flame-shooting-out-of-the-exhaust-pipe problem???)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey guys I'm looking at buying a 94 with the 6.5 that's been really well taken care of and I was wanting to do some reading up before I cut the deal. All of your input is great. What I really wanted to know is how much is a rebuild on one and are there crate motors out there for them. Just as in an oh sh*t case. I doubt that this one needs any work truthfully
Thanks
Kobbekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

97 Chevy 3500 6.5L turbo 117k miles

Just bought a 97 Ext cab 3500 3.5L turbo diesel other than the rust at the corner ext cab and some dings and scratches it all seems well. Done a carfax on it and its been serviced and it all looks good drives good. Better for towing power rather than speed I think. I just bought it for local use not over the road. I going to keep fixing it up and sell it later down the road.
Tennesseejames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.