cummins 5.9 6bt? 160hp? 1992 can i get more hp? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cummins 5.9 6bt? 160hp? 1992 can i get more hp?

I have an older pusher motorhome 5.9 cummins it says 160hp allison automatic 4sp... spartan frame... I'm in tn I purchased it in CA and at 35ft and i don't know the weight... but it got over 11mpg run'n 80mph for almost 2 days non stop run from CA... saw the temps creep up on long CA grades... all in all it would seem under powered but it's really not a slug... but i think a few extra HP would be nice I don't want to kill the mileage...
things i was look'n at...it has the long air intake from the roof run in 4" pvc with a few bends has to be over 10ft of pvc... i was think'n maybe figure a way to suck air from the side?... kinda hate to suck it from under it or is that a non issue?... what can i do thats easy on me, the trans and motor that will still give me a few more HP... i see the same motor in other coaches rated at 170hp 180hp 190, 200 220... ect... but i don't know what the allison 4sp can take... thanks for insite
pony
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: cummins 5.9 6bt? 160hp? 1992 can i get more hp?

Does it have the radial pump or inline? The air intake comes from up top because there is less dust the higher you get.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

1992 industrial should have the p series bosch pump. my father has a spartan chasised unit like yours, it is labeled as a Coachman Santara 32RD. we changed the turbine housing from the wastegated unit to the non wastgated unit used on the 3.9l. this gave him a boost pressure up to 20psi from 7-9 psi. we then had the pumped worked to increse fuel delivery rate and timing (these are static timing only pumps). the injectors were also changed. this was suppose to be a 300 hp make-up kit. it has yeilded good power with a minumum milage loss (12mpg at 60 to 11mpg). it is still greatly under powered though. the only way to get the real power is to drop in the c motor 8.3l. power went from 32mph on the grapevine to 41mph. nothing to write home about, but still a great improvement over stock. these motors were massivly detuned to increses longevity. most all the HP components from a post 93.5-94 dodge 5.9l 12v will fit. the parts we installled were all spec'd for the Dodge.. his was labeled 160hp and i believe the bosch rotary pumps were all 155hp motors..
huskyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Before you crank up the power to much, get guages (boost and pryo).

Whichever pump you have - Yes they can be turned up. If it's rotary (VP) then a twist of the power screw and add some air and maybe bigger injectors. If it's inline (P7100) then slide the fuel plate for free power.

There is a 93 Dodge owner in Cali that turned his rotary pumped cummins up 480 on #2 only but I don't think that is practical for your application. It's no to expensive to hit 250-280.

The 96-02 Dodge turbo (Holset HX35W) is a very good upgrade for the older Cummins that are running 18.5cm2 or even 21cm2 exhaust housings.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

picked up 20hp real world hp just by reading the manual that came with it... says it's 180hp... where i thought it was 160... cheapest HP i ever found...
thanks for the info so far...

that 10plus ft run of PVC with 4 90's in it run'n to the air filter has to be hurt'n some? or is 4" big enough not to be restricted?

thanks again
p
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say it isn't hurting you now, but it will if you want much more. 5 or 6 would be a lot better, or even putting in radiused bends would make a big difference.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.