detroit diesel 60 series help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
detroit diesel 60 series help

you guys always able to help so need some help again

son has mod 60 detroit with 850,000 and now the head gasket is leaking in the right front about 4 inches from the front...

it has a little rough at idel but after rps get up it evens out ok. run ok . gets 6.5 miles per gal

can we get by just pulling the head and have it checked for warping or is it time for a complete redo????

like to not spend all MY YES MY money to get it going so please let the comments fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
You might PM Gone Fishin, he's a full time Detroit mechanic and he could no doubt help. I never worked on any of the 60 series so I don't have a clue, but with many other diesels, if it's just a slight oozing, correctly re-torqueing the head usually takes care of it. The 92s and 71's, etc, didn't use head gaskets, but the 60 is a different animal and I'd think it probably does.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

inframe?

Ok, you can just remove the head and install a new head gasket and NEW head bolts. This is a quick fix for someone who has a lot of miles and does not want to spend money, HOWEVER: remember this<<<<<<<<<<< if you want to keep the truck>>>>>>>> and you like the truck>>>>>>> Do an inframe overhaul BEFORE 1mil miles. You CANNOT purchase an extended warranty on an overhaul after the 1M mark. The new trucks have several items worth noting. They will NOT get your fuel mileage. The new trucks have payments.
So just my 0.02 for what is??? run the truck for another 100K if it will do so. Take it in at 900K or 925K and get the inframe done. If you have money to spare you can always get a reman 3/4 engine or full reman engine.
I have opened a few up at that mileage and found several things wrong. I found rusty head bolts that were eaten up with rust. This is caused by the liners leaking where the liners touch the block. The overhead had the old style 'buttons' on the running gear and required replacement. Lots of little things to go wrong eventually. Your money your choice.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks to all

you did a great job again will give the bad news to son and hope it helps make up his mind
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alright, I'm new here just for this question: I have a '96 model 500 detroit with about
300k on an inframe. I had a head gasket blow in Nov. 07 and had the whole head reworked. When we did it we noticed some pitting in the block between 4 and 5. It blew again bad between 4 and 5 three weeks ago. Had it replaced by a good shop, but now I am getting compression in my radiator again. Any ideas? I do not think it is a liner. It hasn't been that long since an inframe, and the nitrate level has been kept right in the coolant. Somebody please help!!!
rennixtrans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I drove a 93 model w900 with a 450 series 60 detroit for about a year. I had compression in my radiator too. After a about a month and a couple of repair shops not fixing the problem, I came home took it to my local detroit shop and said don't call me till its fixed. Turned out my problem was a faulty air operated coolant valve in my sleeper bunk heater. Air was slipping into the coolant and pressurising my radiator and blowing my coolant out the bypass tube. The part cost about 50 bucks. You might check out that possibility!
wdricker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

This one of the problems I mentioned. Your liners have a 'seating' problen between #4-5 cylinders. But when you open this engine up, do it right this time. Perform an overhaul and have the counterbores cut so the liners fit. Patching is just that. A fix to sell the truck to someone else.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just a heads up you can't check the head for warping its already pre-warped to help clamping.

You can clean it real good and check for impressions from the headgasket failure. Maybe do valves and such but for a quick fix just check it for any damage and if it looks good plop the thing back on with new bolts like Gone Fishen said. If you need any torque specs just speak up. I'd do what Gone Fishen stated keep the truck and sink a couple bucks into an O/H in the near future.

rennixtrans - +1 on Gone Fishen. Check the counterbore.

wdricker - I've seen those bunk heaters bite a few people in the ass

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

detroit diesel 60 series service manual

Hello all,

is there a link to download detroit diesel 60 series service manual?

please help.

txs all
kingpin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Angry Manuals and my engine

Not that know of, however they can be purchased resonably on ebay. To all concerned mine is in the process of a full inframe now. Looks like I had a counter bore problem. A real special thanks goes out to Detroit Diesel in Wisconsin. Those idiots caused a premature inframe at only 300,000 miles because they can't seem to do things right. I love it when someone else half-asses something!
rennixtrans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am in the same "boat".. Sux too... I bought a truck with a Detroit 60 at 660K miles. Ran like a scalded cat and shortly started eating coolant. Did test after test and it get worse and worse. Turned out to be a head gasket at #5. Shop (Williams in Las Vegas) said I'd be better off cutting 6 counterbores and buying 6 new buckets since new linings and rings were only $50 less/each. Now I'm in so deep as I might just get a new head since mine has a groove in it where it blew(of which I've seen). Let's just say, the sweet deal I got for the truck is turning out to be not so sweet.. I still dig the truck but DANG IT..!! Like Gone Fishen said tho, if you like the truck, pay the buck..

2000 F-350 SD CC Doooly. Viar, Ride-Rite, 4" exh, K&N intake, Stage II Turbo, MHTech Trans pan & Diff cvr, Edge Juice, Superchip stacked..
DRT POR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

DRT POR, which truck is it? [color ect?]

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

como puedo obtener el manual de servicio de un motor detroit serie 60 11.1 350
ernesto.1412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

having problems with 60 series

i am getting eng oil in rad. i have replaced the oil cooler 2 times 1 was reman 2nd one is new pulled head had it rebuilt with new inj. sleeves installed new rad.flushed system a few times still getting oil in water can anybody help me.
bubbas6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Could be cavitation in the liners, basically pinholes allowing oil from the pistons to get into the cooling system. Lots of miles?

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.