Detroit Diesel 8v92 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detroit Diesel 8v92

Hey guys,
I dont normally post in this forum, but My father and I have an offer in on a Hatteras with a pair of 8V92 Detroit Diesels. They are 1982 model and I am not to familiar with them. We are having an engine survey preformed on the motors and they will use an endoscope on the cylinders. I am really just looking for some opinions on these since I dont have knoledge of them like I do with the powerstroke. Thanks.

Pat

SOLD*** 1997 F350 XLT CC LB SRW,4x4, 4.10, Custom 4" Exhaust, Baby Swamps, Late Model HPOP, DPP Downpipe, IH Waterpump W/Filter Boss, 315/75/16 BFG A/T, E4OD Rebuilt for a 2nd time, AC Mod, TYMAR Intake and HX mod, Guage Pod With Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Guages, AMSOIL front to back, 2 Tru-Cool Trany oil coolers,$12 AIC, Line-X, Diamond Cut Headlights and Altezas, Vent Shades, 325,000 miles.
------------------------------

"Eveyone should believe in something. I Believe I will go Fishing." -Henry David Thoreau

"Clothes make the Man, Naked people have little or no influence on society."
lancinfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: Detroit Diesel 8v92

Good motors for the time, they are powerful if a little smoky [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] They are fully rebuildable if the boat manufacturer built it so you could access them anyway...otherwise check to see if they can be removed without taking a chain saw to the deck. But that applies to all motors.

They were used extensively in fire trucks all the way into the 90s. They are not my favorite motor because they are a bit thirsty, noisy and they smoke too much but in a boat they are thought to be pretty well suited.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not ot mention thay leak oil like they're bleeding. Oh sorry, thats any Detroit I've been around.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

if i rember right on 8V-92 TA verison on marine duty [boat engine] have few diffrent hp rating and your boat what you described i know it is capable to run 550 hp to 650 hp rating but iam not sure depending on what injector it have [ it will show on valve cover or you have to pull the cover off to see the number like N65 or N70 verison etc ] i know few 8V-92TA did ran high as 750 hp but the power is kinda limited for that duration so hard to me to say the correct answer for it.

Merci , Marc
french277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Hey Marc, it's great to see you back, we need to hear all we can from you Detroit old timers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pretty fast engine for a 40 foot sport fisherman. 3406 Cat would be my preference, but the 8-92 is pretty good and rebuilds are more frequent than a Cat but a lot less expensive!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

The series 92 is a wet liner, capable of 655 hp stock. Yes it can be pumped up. It is listed with 9225 injectors. All 92 injectors will begine with 92xx. 9280 is the smallest I've seen but there is a gen set here in town with 9260 and pushes 780 hp. The 9280 is an 80mm injector, the 9225 is a 125mm injector. You figure out the last one. Most marine engines are intercooled as well. They are quick to get there as they are a 2 cycle engine compared to a clakerpiller which is a 4 cycle. Best is to get it up to plane and back off th where it will cruise. No need to waste fuel on un-needed rpm's. Oh ya, mash that puppy to 2500 and watch the birds being past by. They can drink fuel but like I said back off and let them cruise. Excessive smoke is just unburned fuel.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

These motors are the 650hp models. They have been overhauled before and have 650 hours on them. Anyone have any idea what it would cost to do an overhaul on one?

SOLD*** 1997 F350 XLT CC LB SRW,4x4, 4.10, Custom 4" Exhaust, Baby Swamps, Late Model HPOP, DPP Downpipe, IH Waterpump W/Filter Boss, 315/75/16 BFG A/T, E4OD Rebuilt for a 2nd time, AC Mod, TYMAR Intake and HX mod, Guage Pod With Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Guages, AMSOIL front to back, 2 Tru-Cool Trany oil coolers,$12 AIC, Line-X, Diamond Cut Headlights and Altezas, Vent Shades, 325,000 miles.

"Eveyone should believe in something. I Believe I will go Fishing." -Henry David Thoreau

Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
lww

So Hank, you're much more an authority here, did marine engines have any if all the short comings of the highway 92's. Specifically the bottom end troubles, and block fractures that seemed to plague those "Double O" with flames on the exhaust manifold versions? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]
If I remember correctly that was right around the early 80's when Alpine green turned briefly to black (or red in Cornbinders), only to be followed by silver at which point many operators had gone broke by reason of down time already [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] (maybe it wasn't that bad in other areas, but up here in BC and our mountain roads, things got pretty bad.
Lorne
Old 05-05-2005, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

There were several modifications done at the time of the 'silver thing'. Keep in mind however that truck engines are completly different breed even though they are the same engine. Lets take a boat or even a gen set. Start it up [gen set] and a set rpm/load is achieved NOW. A boat is simular however it is mounted differrent and it's load/power is the same also. Yes the movement around the dock area is a little load but still when you ar running a constant load is achieved.
Truck drivers/industrial equipment is different. Load now/ idle a while/run like heck for 6 to 12 hours at different loads and vibration ect. Up the hill, down the hill. uneven loads cold weather useage, overheat in some dumb desert ect. Gen sets and boats have a longer life. There are 2 gen sets out of town with 6V-92 with 28000 hours on them. 1 inframe each. Yes 28 thousand.
Yes if I owned one and had 1 or 2 in a boat. for a truck, every 200k for mains and rods. There is a hour for boat but I don't know what it is. There are not to many here and I really try to stay away from boats. Busses are bad enough nowdays. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]
The 92 series broke a lot of truck outfits and DDA had a bad name for a long while. I was 1 of 2 people who linebored blocks. The 2 of us got quite good at it. We even did some tricks that the boss never did find out about. It was bad all over.I heard that if you had a DDA engine there were outfits who did not give a load to you. There were people who would take an old new engine and paint it and sell it as a 'silver block engine'. Anyone with access to DDA could tell you if it was a real silver engine. We would answer questions all the time on the serial #'s. However the series 60 changed all that. If you have read my bio it says I work for a DDA distributor and I still do. I have been doing this for a few years and some say I still have green blood. Don't know about that, looks red to me sometimes.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Gone Fishen, I know that every situation is different, but what could be the expected payout to do an overhaul on one of these motors? I want to be prepared. Plus, what does detroit think about extended life coolants? Should they be run in a boat?

Pat

Old 05-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

i usually don't see repair quotes so I will have to ask tomorrow maybe even call the boat branch in Florida to give me an idea. Greyhound runs ELC in their busses and they still have a few 2 cycles.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

the 8v92s up at school use 9290 injectors. Yesterday I had to adjust valves and the rack and governor. What a long process!! They say we will never see any 2-strokes anymore, but im really glad I am learning this!
1956 F-250 Project Stroke

1996 F-250 Powerstoke Diesel XLT,
open element air filter, H2E turbo, Custom Tranny, 6.0 Charge air cooler, Swamp 175/173 squirts, TW Chip and some other neat stuff.

1999 F-450 4x4 11ft flatbed, soon to have a 6k crane for my mechanic jobs. Bone stock.

2002 F-150 Supercrew daily commuter

WEBSHOTS-->http://community.webshots.com/user/dieselwiezil
-->http://houstonareapowerstrokes.com
DieselWiezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Gone Fishen,
Any luck with an Idea of Cost for a major?

Pat

Old 05-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

lol well thats the down side, but i figure it isnt any more than a 4 year university. Well for a degree you have to take a core class includes 6 months and then you take 1 elective course. Each elective course you take is 3 months long. If you take a core class + ASM (business management) you will recieve 2 degrees.just 9 months is close to 22 grand. Wyotech is the ONLY tech school that you will be able to recieve DEGREES. Any more questions just hollar at me.
1956 F-250 Project Stroke

1996 F-250 Powerstoke Diesel XLT,
open element air filter, H2E turbo, Custom Tranny, 6.0 Charge air cooler, Swamp 175/173 squirts, TW Chip and some other neat stuff.

1999 F-450 4x4 11ft flatbed, soon to have a 6k crane for my mechanic jobs. Bone stock.

2002 F-150 Supercrew daily commuter

WEBSHOTS-->http://community.webshots.com/user/dieselwiezil
-->http://houstonareapowerstrokes.com
DieselWiezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.