Detroit Silver 92- rebuild, replace or swap? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detroit Silver 92- rebuild, replace or swap?

I realize there is no good answer, but I'm hoping to get a few answers from those familiar with working on these old motors.

I've got a motor coach with a tired Silver 8v92, and am weighing my options. Since there are fewer and fewer people that work on these old 2 strokes, my concern with putting any money into it may leave it virtually obsolete in a few years- therefore if I do decide to rebuild it, I want to rebuild it myself, get to know the motor. I've rebuilt gas motors before, but nothing this big. However, give me a shop manual, a contact or two with knowledge of the motor, a good supply of coffee and I am reasonably competent. Cost- $4k for rebuild kit and heads.

Or I could buy one of the many motors I see available due to everyone upgrading to a 4 stroke. The problem here is that I still end up with a used motor, one I have no history with that could grenade a few miles down the road. Cost- $5-6k motor and misc.

Or I could follow the masses, upgrade to 4 stroke. Cost $20k.

Any thoughts from a mechanics POV? Thanks!
Narrowrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
I worked on (maintained, overhauled, etc,) quite a few 92's in Kenworths before I retired and we got good service out of them over the years. After I retired I drove a Freightliner semi hauling cattle out of state for a few months with a Silver 92 and it got down the road right along with the 3 other guys who were Cummins powered (which I prefer by far). Personally I'd overhaul what you have, a used one, like you said may be worn out and the 4 cycle 60 series would be longer and might require some major surgery to make it fit in a motor home. GoneFishen, a member here still works on Detroits so he may be able to advise on latest upgrades.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

That is very much the way I am leaning. My concern at this point is rebuilding an unfamiliar motor... usually once I've got my hands dirty I get a bit more confident.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would strongly advise getting a genuine Detroit Diesel manual. The 2 cycle Detroits are a distinct breed all their own. For example, they don't use head gaskets, they use various sized quad rings. And I've always found it mandatory to use the 3M (yellow) Weatherstrip Cement at all four corners of the big quad ring that goes in the groove around the perimeter of the block surface (under the head), it has a tendency to pop out at the corners then you end up with anti freeze on the shop floor instead of in the engine. IIRC the manual says to use a sleeve puller, but I've always popped the sleeves out with just a hammer and length of 2X2 or 2X4. Setting the injector height takes a little special tool and setting the rack definitely requires a mechanic that's done Detroits before. The old Detroit 2 cycle manuals are excellent, but setting the rack is something a guy has to show you in person.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

wow

@2 to $4K for kits and heads?? If you do the overhaul there are tricks and no-no's. You will need a depth micrometer and a few other goodies. I still have all my tune-up tools and goodies. However I don't plan on going back into working on them. Especially in a parlor coach.[never call them a bus,] a motor home is acceptable naming but parlor coach is a preferred name. A good torque wrench able to click at 250 lbs. ft. A good one, not a HF one. The 4 cycle's get 2/3 times the mileage, is this one of yours an electronic engine???
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Gone Fishen and LMJD. That's a lot of good info. Tools I have, and tools I can get. I'll start shopping for a good Detroit manual.

$2-4K for kit and heads? Is that a realistic estimate? I assumed $4k+.

Gone Fishen- It's DDEC I believe I not II. It's currently stored some 3K miles away in PHX, so I'm shooting from the hip. Just curious, what makes a Detroit in a Motor Coach different from one in an 18 wheeler? Access alone, or is it something else?

4 Stroke get's better mileage but how much? I'd have to cross the US a few times to pay for a 4 stroke. I get about 6 right now, it's tuned to 475HP @ 2100rpm. I'll probably put 2000K miles on it a year.

Thanks again for the help. It answers a lot of my questions. If you guys know of anyone that wants to sit in a lawn chair and explain the finer points of setting the rack while I get my hands dirty, let him know I pay in fresh Alaskan Salmon, and by fresh I mean better than anything you will find in the store until you start paying $50+ plate at nicer restaurants who get their supply flown in from Kenai. I know where all the good fishing holes are too.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rockwall, if you go to this post, Gone Fishen explains really well how to set the rack: Not totally back to normal However, IMHO it's like shoeing horses, you can read about it but it's best to see someone do it the first time to get it right.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-13-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I understand, thanks for the advice and link. It's given me a lot to think about.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

You can download the manual for like $16, go to DETROIT DIESEL MANUALS then choose the manual you want and it should direct you to another site Tradebit.com which seems to sell all kinds of digital info. I got manuals for my 353 there and it has been a great resource. It was pretty easy and you have them in seconds. On the Tradebit site they have specific instructions as you scroll down on how to access the files. Good luck!
rockwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

On the 92 series the ecm is on the top of the engine behind the exhaust pipes. DDEC 1 edu's are no longer serviced. Any work done will need to be changed over to DDEC II. Yes you will have to change the camshafts from I to II. DDEC I will have 2 large connections on 1 side connecting to a 32 pin round connector and then going to an ecu somewhere by the drivers seat area. The DDEC II system just has the ecm. The DDEC III also has just the ecm.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.